Author Topic: United Airlines initiates self-immolation  (Read 43551 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: United Airlines initiates self-immolation
« Reply #125 on: April 11, 2017, 12:13:46 PM »
Why does the Dr remind me of Chow from The Hangover?

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
The story I thought I heard (I think it was from twitter or the Facebook comments so you know it is true) is that 3 people took the $800 and one person offered to leave for $1600, but they were not taken up on it.

Depending on profession and location needs, $1600 might be a pittance compared to potential financial losses should the passenger not make their destination. A physician simply making patient rounds can clear more than that in an hour.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »
Apparently, United's CEO is a PR genius:

http://www.prweek.com/article/1426909/united-airlines-ceo-oscar-munoz-named-prweek-us-communicator-year

The award was for communicating well with employees, not customers.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
Depending on profession and location needs, $1600 might be a pittance compared to potential financial losses should the passenger not make their destination. A physician simply making patient rounds can clear more than that in an hour.

Brad

Yet there were probably at least a dozen people on the flight that make $800 or less a week that didn't want to make $800 for ~12 hours of their time. The incident aside, I'm still a little perplexed that they didn't get more people to volunteer. If the next flight doesn't leave till the next day, that should mean hotel and per diem would be included as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
I'm waiting for the police brutality case (this probably isn't it) where the person who called the cops gets sued because they knew (or should have known) that beating people up or shooting them without any justification is what CPD does (or NOPD, or Baltimore, or Philly, etc.)  :police:  

"They have qualified immunity, you don't."
"It's good, though..."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Re: United Airlines initiates self-immolation
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Yet there were probably at least a dozen people on the flight that make $800 or less a week that didn't want to make $800 for ~12 hours of their time. The incident aside, I'm still a little perplexed that they didn't get more people to volunteer. If the next flight doesn't leave till the next day, that should mean hotel and per diem would be included as well.
Small flight, Sunday night. Probably lots of people unable to take and extra day of vacation.

Bosses look askance at people suddenly adding another day to their vacation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
Could have been how the subject was broached. If someone had come on a loaded plane & announced that "four of you peons have to get off to make room for more important people because we screwed up", you can bet you'd have to fight me off the plane.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2017, 01:14:50 PM »
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
Small flight, Sunday night. Probably lots of people unable to take and extra day of vacation.

Seems like a good way to blame it on United though.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2017, 01:27:31 PM »
^^^Wow, having read the source article, I find it interesting that Kentucky still allows him to have a medical license.  He had a good lawyer.  Sexual contact with patients is bad enough, but then with the narcotics issues on top of that.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2017, 01:28:04 PM »
Semi-related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RL6b-QgceE

https://youtu.be/FwPdWEdbgxY?t=272

"You do what we say, when we say, and there won't be a problem.  Capiche?"

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:51:57 PM by Angel Eyes »
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2017, 02:05:57 PM »
well I know the stock can bounce back but it has cost them over 600 million so far.

If they keep making it worse heads are going to roll even if it was legal.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2017, 02:24:03 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article143948159.html

This story states that over 40K fliers were bumped last year.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2017, 02:31:01 PM »
The passenger has already paid to be sitting in that seat. He's entered into a service contract with the airline (something you don't do just by walking into a brick and mortar store location).

Right; this would be more akin to a store forcing you to leave without the merchandise you've already paid for, on a promise that they'll let you come pick it up some other time.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2017, 02:32:54 PM »

$800 and a ticket to wherever?  Bump me to first class on the next available flight and I'll figure out an excuse for the boss.  TSA issues are believable if the boss flies at all.

That nobody else was taking that deal should have indicated to them that maybe it's their employees who should get bumped, or cut a deal with another airline.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article143948159.html

This story states that over 40K fliers were bumped last year.
The percentage is really small out of all the passengers for a year, but 41,000 tickets that had to be inerted on another flight is a lot of potential lost revenue.  I guess if the next available flight had empty seats, the loss isn't so much, but it is still some loss.  It is just small compared to the total.  
United actually had a lower rate of involuntary bumping than the two largest carriers, Southwest and American. One in every 10,000 Southwest passengers was involuntarily bumped last year. Only Expressjet Airlines had a higher rate. United’s rate was 0.43 passengers in 10,000.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article143948159.html#storylink=cpy
My only thought is there has to be a different or better way to manage moving personnel around, but it isn't my business.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2017, 02:41:51 PM »
$800 and a ticket to wherever?  Bump me to first class on the next available flight and I'll figure out an excuse for the boss.  TSA issues are believable if the boss flies at all.

That nobody else was taking that deal should have indicated to them that maybe it's their employees who should get bumped, or cut a deal with another airline.
That was my thought.  If you didn't have to pay for a hotel room and you just got delayed a few hours, $800 means a pretty nice new pistol.  I just saw a Glock 19 Gen 4 with the MOS red dot mounting plate.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2017, 02:46:32 PM »

Four people; $3200 cash plus whatever the value of the tickets offered, plus lodging, plus whatever.  It's just under 5 hours to drive from Chicago to Louisville, so why the heck not rent the employees the nicest car available at OHare for a few hundred and let them get a nice meal on the way?  Two get to sleep the whole way and the other two half each, at worst, or they all take a turn and get just under four hours rest each.  Heck, how much would a driver and a comfy van be for that trip?  Just not seeing much in the way of common sense on United's part here.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Legal or not, intentionally sellng more than you can provide in any service is a dishonest practice... so we are off to a bad start already.

Being that travel is not only about cash but also the consumer's time, people are right to demand the service on the date and time advertised by the seller. Clearly, compensation offered in this case was not enough (according to the market- the passengers on board) and needs to be reviewed if it failed ot create sufficient incentive, not forced by goons. If UA "bumping" procedure leads to physical confrontation in the cabin of their planes, then that procedure is ass backwards. Backing up a dishonest -yet legal- business practice with force is just slimy.

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2017, 03:25:18 PM »
Legal or not, intentionally sellng more than you can provide in any service is a dishonest practice... so we are off to a bad start already.

I don't think that in itself is dishonest. From what I've seen, on a flight that size, statistics indicate that 4-5 people will not show up, hence they overbook to cover the no-shows. I don't think there is anything wrong with that business practice based on the math. It's how you handle it when the math is wrong and the no-shows show up.

Neemi

• friend
Re:
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
From articles I've read, the airlines are "encouraged" by the government to offer up to $1300/person for bumping them... So why the airline employees stopped at offering only $800 and called the cops is problematic, to say the least. I get that they have the right to kick anyone off for any reason... But trying to save $500/person at the cost of millions in lost stock and lost revenue is, well, dumb.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2017, 04:01:38 PM »
The payout is in airline credit, not cash.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »
The payout is in airline credit, not cash.

Which if the case most of your vacation travelers would not take because when would they be able to use it.

I was on a flight a couple of weeks ago from KC to Indy where Southwest was offering $300 cash and if I heard correctly credit for the ticket they had purchased to bump to a later flight.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2017, 04:28:52 PM »
I don't think that in itself is dishonest. From what I've seen, on a flight that size, statistics indicate that 4-5 people will not show up, hence they overbook to cover the no-shows. I don't think there is anything wrong with that business practice based on the math. It's how you handle it when the math is wrong and the no-shows show up.

If the airline discloses the percentage of overbooking at the time you are looking to buy the Ticket, and the explicit caveat that your odds of being bumped to boarding that flight are X:Y, then that would be more honest and you would be an informed gambler  =D, not a sucker.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"