Author Topic: Motorcycles in the military  (Read 10282 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Motorcycles in the military
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 02:18:11 AM »
If it has a vowel as the first identifier, and a number under 5 as the second identifier, it's liable to destroy its operational capability on a mere whim.

Yup, and that works for BOTH vowels...

W's are a lot more safety conscious.

Blog under construction

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 02:35:03 AM »
That's because typical W's survived being vowels for at least 5 digits' worth of time before becoming consonants...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

unisonic12

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
that said i think seat belt and helmet laws blow. 

Uh, yeah, great...  Then we all get to pay for the idiots who will be vegetables and/or on constant life support for the rest of their lives through MUCH higher insurance premiums.  All because they wanted to be free and "feel the wind, maaaan".  :rolleyes:

But, hey taking one of those big black bumble bees to the face at 60 mph has got to be fun and feel really good, right?  I got hit by one on my neck and that hurt like hell.  I can't imagine taking one in an eye, mouth, etc.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 03:29:12 PM »
I took a bumble bee to my face on my Harley in 1994, right outside the Watt Ave. gate of McClellan AFB.  I was doing about 40mph, helmet visor up to enjoy the fresh air on a hot Sacramento afternoon.

My face swelled up so bad I lost sight in my right eye for a week. 

I was off work for a week, too.  The flight surgeon thought he might have to do some relief cuts on my face to alleviate the pressure. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

unisonic12

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 03:32:21 PM »
Imagine taking that bumble straight to the eye.  You wouldn't have needed to see the flight surgeon after that because you would have been permanently removed from flight status.  No up-chit for a one eyed aviator.  That's why I ride with a full face helmet and only crack the visor open a click or two.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2008, 03:38:41 PM »
A friend of mine had a similar situation, only involving a small rock that was kicked up by a panel truck.  The rock hit him square in the teeth at about 45 miles per hour.  It shattered the middle three upper and lower teeth.  He had to have two three-tooth implants on the upper and lower jaw. 

As someone who wears glasses, I switched over to the modular full-face helmets when they became available.  I always ride with the faceshield down and crack the visor for ventilation.  Something like 20% of all injuries in motorcycle crashes occur to the lower face and jaw area. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.