Author Topic: Mass may do the GPS-based driver tracking and pay-per-mile  (Read 4316 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Mass may do the GPS-based driver tracking and pay-per-mile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:26 AM »
I can recall only one state of the many I have lived in that dumped a PP tax in with car registration.

Anyways, all the spleen-venting about auto PP tax is irrelevant.  In most cases it is a personal property tax similar to a real property tax.  Vehicle use is not the point for a PP tax, vehicle ownership is.

Fuel taxes are a pretty darn good proxy for a use tax, better than any I have read about.  The larger & heavier the vehicle, usually the more fuel it uses per mile driven, which equates to more fuel tax paid.  Most fuel bought by most folks is burned locally.  I'm wondering why the heck a technological "fix" or some registration scheme is required when fuel taxes are a much better proxy for road use.

Also, given average miles driven per year, fuel taxes dwarf most registration and PPtax fees.

Besides, were I a company that owned a fleet of heavy vehicles, I would likely register them in the state with the most advantageous registration scheme and drive them wherever I wished.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »
Besides, were I a company that owned a fleet of heavy vehicles, I would likely register them in the state with the most advantageous registration scheme and drive them wherever I wished.

bingo! hence the plethora of trailers with maine tags
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
i always thought a gas tax was the fair way to pay for road use. if a vehicle is heavier, it will cause more wear and tear on the roads, but it will also use more gas so that seems fair. if a grandma has her car parked in her driveway 99% of the time she also does less damage to the roads, and pays less since she is not using as much gas. also fair.

gps is just a way to keep track of people.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 12:53:35 PM »
1) a 6000 pound 80's sedan costs $30 a year to register to drive,
2) a 3500 pound new Honda costs $400 a year to register to drive,
3) and a 8000 pound 4-year old pickup costs $200 a year to register to drive.

where does car registration work like that?
Works like that in Oklahoma...

The older the vehicle the less your registration fee.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

PTK

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:27 PM »
Works like that here in CO, too.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."