Author Topic: If programming languages were weapons  (Read 1477 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
If programming languages were weapons
« on: September 27, 2015, 09:46:18 AM »
http://bjorn.tipling.com/if-programming-languages-were-weapons

I have no idea what a programming language is, or how/why one is different from another.  And yet I still come away  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: If programming languages were weapons
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 10:53:58 AM »
http://bjorn.tipling.com/if-programming-languages-were-weapons

I have no idea what a programming language is, or how/why one is different from another.  And yet I still come away  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

stay safe.

As a retired Sr Programmer/Analyst I can truthfully state that article was VERY factual. Now, if you will excuse me, I have a lot of geek friends to share that with...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 01:30:11 PM »
Anyone who uses this is probably crazy and dangerous.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 02:37:53 PM »
Anyone who uses this is probably crazy and dangerous.

Then we've found the perfect language for APS.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 03:30:35 PM »
Humorous. Well done.

To pick some nits though.

BASH is technically not a programming language, although it does allow scripting, it is a shell vs. a programming language, a programming language like C is often used within BASH scripts.

I don't see COBOL which REALLY should be there, many companies still run old legacy COBOL applications.

FORTRAN should probably be there as it was the first high level programming language if I recall correctly; slightly older than LISP.

Many people learned programming on PASCAL or BASIC which are also not listed and I would think one of them would have been.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »
And don't forget RPG.   :P

I do most of my programming in an old proprietary language (I'll call it PL) that is not much more than an unusually-rich assembly language, and in C (not C++, but I use a C++ compiler mostly so I can use // comments.)  I support many thousands of lines of PL code, some of it over 30 years old.

I still write new code in PL because they can't hire a kid right out of college that knows it.  It may not really give me any job security, but it makes getting rid of me a lot more costly.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 04:45:01 PM »
COBOL, FORTRAN and Basic are pretty much dead languages although there are COBOL variants still out there and some Engineering colleges were STILL teaching FORTRAN in the last 5 years!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 05:35:07 PM »
COBOL, FORTRAN and Basic are pretty much dead languages although there are COBOL variants still out there and some Engineering colleges were STILL teaching FORTRAN in the last 5 years!

I'll have you know the Romans used Fortran G to write the spreadsheets that kept track of the legions' salt rations... and wrote them in Latin.  Dead languages, indeed!
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »

Their are still billions lines of active COBOL supposedly in active use. Big insurances houses running it on mainframes for example from an article I saw a year or so ago. Supposed to still be companies actively hiring programmers with COBOL knowledge, but yes it should be a dead language. I would have included it if I wrote this, but just my opinion, and we all know what they say about those ...

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 07:20:31 PM »
COBOL isn't dead. Billions of new lines of code are written every year for it. In my reading it turns out that it's too expensive to replace the code so it will stay around a long time.

However the COBOL coder population is aging out and there might be a huge shortage soon.

Here's a FAQ: https://cis.hfcc.edu/faq/cobol

COBOL ain't goin' nowhere. It may be the most important, most valuable computer language extant. It's certainly in the top five.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 08:34:21 PM by Warren »
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
Meh, C is not a Garand. It's a M2. Set it up correctly, and it'll last forever. Happily killing whomever with nary a compliant. M240G analogy is interesting, but I'd say it's more the M60. Crappily made from the start. The rest is pretty accurate.

COBOL isn't dead. Billions of new lines of code are written every year for it. In my reading it turns out that it's too expensive to replace the code so it will stay around a long time.

COBOL ain't goin' nowhere. It may be the most important, most valuable computer language extant. It's certainly in the top five.

I had to support IBM zOS mainframes that ran FORTRAN and COBOL code. Blah.

I highly doubt billions of new line of code is written every year. Thousands, maybe. Mostly it's just maintenance. Very few people are using COBOL on any new systems. Some, but not many.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:25:04 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
COBOL would then be a Trebuchet.  An ancient weapon that consistently works. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
COBOL would then be a Trebuchet.  An ancient weapon that consistently works. 

Bofors twin 40mm cannon?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 02:31:38 PM »
Bofors twin 40mm cannon?

Na, Bofors are beloved by some people. COBOL is universally hated by everyone except whoever is spending COBOL programmers' paychecks. Likely the staff of the local insane asylum.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Hmm...I keep using that same Molotov cocktail over and over...

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2015, 07:23:02 PM »
I note the lack of Assembly....

C being the Garand? NAh, I gotta agree with Revdisk on that one.

Relatively easy to learn, and pretty portable, unlike some other languages.

COBOL *really* needs to die in a fire.  Seriously.

It's understandable that many organizations don't really want to 'upgrade' to newer software, though... I see that allll the friggin' time around here.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour