Author Topic: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"  (Read 9144 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Minor annoyances of the "new normal"
« on: April 09, 2013, 07:51:30 PM »
New normal, or as Heinlein called it "bad luck."

My current gripe is: has anyone else noticed that public bathrooms no longer have hot water?

It's not something I HAVE to have, but it has gotten very annoying washing my hands in cold water every time I take my family out.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 07:56:02 PM »
Blame sequestration. [tinfoil] :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
I have not noticed this. Don't use public bathrooms very often either though.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 10:29:30 PM »
My current gripe is: has anyone else noticed that public bathrooms no longer have hot water?

Haven't noticed that, but I don't understand why businesses waste their money on hot water just for hand-washing.

Then again, I usually use cold water for my hand-washing. It's easier, one less knob to touch, and I just like stuff cold.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 06:02:11 AM »
Blame the Green/LEED/Energy Efficiency movement.  The bathroom at our work has lukewarm to mildly cold water coming out of the faucets.  Every so often the drain will backup and the is when somebody had to get really hot water from the kitchen to pour down the drain to free it up.  The green soap doesn't dissolve all the way because the water isn't hot enough.   
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 07:55:32 AM »
Blame the Green/LEED/Energy Efficiency movement.  The bathroom at our work has lukewarm to mildly cold water coming out of the faucets.  Every so often the drain will backup and the is when somebody had to get really hot water from the kitchen to pour down the drain to free it up.  The green soap doesn't dissolve all the way because the water isn't hot enough.   

And here I was blaming simple cost-cutting measures. It didn't even occur to me this was stupid "SAVE TEH EARTH!" measures.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:01:32 AM »
I assumed it was a liability thing
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »

At the property where I work, they got the building LEED-certified, or whatever, so they could put the little sticker on the door, telling everyone how Green! we are. One ingredient in this was installing .5 gal/min aerators on the bathroom sink faucets. We already had slow drains on a lot of the sinks, but things got worse. When we called in a Roto-rooter type service, they opined that the problem was lack of water flow in the drains - the aerators were not allowing enough water into the system to keep things flowing. So, we bought a bunch of planet-killing aerators, to go back to the old rate of gal/min.

Not to worry, though, we left the sticker on the door.  ;/

On the plus side, the "gentle-foaming" hand soap that we switched to is supposed to be less cloggy in the drains.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »
Our soap is "green" soap.  The color is green, so I don't know if the label is referring to the color green or "environmentally" friendly.  =|
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 08:56:24 AM »
"Green" soap wouldn't have any dyes, because that is bad for Mother Earf.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 09:06:14 AM »
"Green" soap wouldn't have any dyes, because that is bad for Mother Earf.

I know that is what cracks me up.  :laugh:

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 09:42:19 AM »
I'm actually more incensed by automatic towel holders that don't work, when the only way to find out they are broken is to wave your hands around to find this out. Neverming that there is no standard for automatic towel holders so you can never tell where you are supposed to wave your hands anyway.

Note to all engineers and marketers: if you ever make an automatic anything (towel dispenser, transmission, car windows) then it either needs to have a transparent manual backup or else 99.999% uptime. The instant an automatic-anything breaks, it completely erases the point if it being automatic, which is th be easier.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:58 AM »
The best automatic towel dispenser is the kind that shoots out another sheet, as soon as you tear off the current one. No hand-waving required.

The old-school trifold, gravity-feed dispenser is probably best, though. As long as the housekeeping staff knows not to overload them.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
The best automatic towel dispenser is the kind that shoots out another sheet, as soon as you tear off the current one. No hand-waving required.

The old-school trifold, gravity-feed dispenser is probably best, though. As long as the housekeeping staff knows not to overload them.

But if you overload them, then you don't have to refill them as often!

(Do I need a /sarc tag, really?)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »
Just like the ole "green" toilets.  Poop like a man and you've gotta flush like 4 times.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

erictank

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
New normal, or as Heinlein called it "bad luck."

It's not something I HAVE to have, but it has gotten very annoying washing my hands in cold water every time I take my family out.

Most bathrooms I've used, out and about, have scalding-hot water. And only one of those freaking push-knobs that turns itself off in 10 seconds, with no way to adjust temperature.

If it's not scalding hot, THEN it's cold, and that's like ice water I'm talking about. Never anything in between that I can remember, for at least a couple of years now.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:20 AM »
Can we bring back the old continuous loop cloth towel hand dryers? I actually found one in service a few years back.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

At the property where I work, they got the building LEED-certified, or whatever, so they could put the little sticker on the door, telling everyone how Green! we are. One ingredient in this was installing .5 gal/min aerators on the bathroom sink faucets. We already had slow drains on a lot of the sinks, but things got worse. When we called in a Roto-rooter type service, they opined that the problem was lack of water flow in the drains - the aerators were not allowing enough water into the system to keep things flowing. So, we bought a bunch of planet-killing aerators, to go back to the old rate of gal/min.

Not to worry, though, we left the sticker on the door.  ;/

On the plus side, the "gentle-foaming" hand soap that we switched to is supposed to be less cloggy in the drains.

The problem isn't incoming water flow, it's plumbers who insist on doing things "the way we've always done it" rather than doing a proper install.  Up to now the kinda-sorta okay installs could count on water flow to keep things going if the install wasn't up to par.  Now it has to be done right.

LEED certification aside, a properly installed drainage system will work just fine with 0.5 gpm water flow.  As for soap deposits on pipe walls clogging up the drain, well, it isn't the soap.  It's the stuff in the soap that isn't soap which is the problem - oil-based scents, conditioners, etc..  Plain old soap will work just fine, but people want the goody-smelly stuff rather than the stuff that just gets you clean.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:38:57 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:39 AM »
I'm actually more incensed by automatic towel holders that don't work, when the only way to find out they are broken is to wave your hands around to find this out. Neverming that there is no standard for automatic towel holders so you can never tell where you are supposed to wave your hands anyway.

Note to all engineers and marketers: if you ever make an automatic anything (towel dispenser, transmission, car windows) then it either needs to have a transparent manual backup or else 99.999% uptime. The instant an automatic-anything breaks, it completely erases the point if it being automatic, which is th be easier.

Station a serf in the rest room to hand out towels and toilet paper.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 02:23:02 PM »
Can we bring back the old continuous loop cloth towel hand dryers? I actually found one in service a few years back.

[barf]
Ewwww...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 02:58:46 PM »
[barf]
Ewwww...

Eh, throw a few UV-C lamps in the housing, problem solved.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:45 PM »
Did they ever actually use UV lamps for those?

I independently invented that myself, and immediately thought it was so obvious they surely already use UV lamps in them. But I don't know.

According to my Korean friend, in SK it's normal to just have towels in the restrooms, on a hook, for people to dry their hands.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 03:30:03 PM »
The problem isn't incoming water flow, it's plumbers who insist on doing things "the way we've always done it" rather than doing a proper install.  Up to now the kinda-sorta okay installs could count on water flow to keep things going if the install wasn't up to par.  Now it has to be done right.

LEED certification aside, a properly installed drainage system will work just fine with 0.5 gpm water flow.  As for soap deposits on pipe walls clogging up the drain, well, it isn't the soap.  It's the stuff in the soap that isn't soap which is the problem - oil-based scents, conditioners, etc..  Plain old soap will work just fine, but people want the goody-smelly stuff rather than the stuff that just gets you clean.

Brad

Well, we're talking about twelve stories full of 1960s piping. Should we try and get the plumbing contractor to come back and do it right?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 03:48:04 PM »
Well, we're talking about twelve stories full of 1960s piping. Should we try and get the plumbing contractor to come back and do it right?

I'm talking new building.  If they refitted with low-flow faucets and didn't correct for drainage, you're gonna have problems.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
I'm talking new building.  If they refitted with low-flow faucets and didn't correct for drainage, you're gonna have problems.

Brad

That was the lesson learned.