Author Topic: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"  (Read 9145 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Minor annoyances of the "new normal"
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 04:25:03 PM »
According to my Korean friend, in SK it's normal to just have towels in the restrooms, on a hook, for people to dry their hands.

I now have a reason (other than the Nukes, of course) not to visit South Korea.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 06:41:56 PM »
New normal, or as Heinlein called it "bad luck."

My current gripe is: has anyone else noticed that public bathrooms no longer have hot water?

It's not something I HAVE to have, but it has gotten very annoying washing my hands in cold water every time I take my family out.

Cuz they figure nobody washes their hands anyway.
"It's good, though..."

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
The old-school trifold, gravity-feed dispenser is probably best, though. As long as the housekeeping staff knows not to overload them.
Yeah, right up until they put the damned things in there upside down, with the fold going up.

The Diana DeGette of custodial staff.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 07:43:19 PM »
Don't pee on your hands and you won't have to worsh them  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
Don't pee on your hands and you won't have to worsh them  :lol:

I know where mine's been.  It don need washing.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
The outfit I used to work for had two facilities about ten miles apart.  The brand new one was hyper-green.... like 510nM green....with every trick, tactic, ploy, and plan to "conserve."  It even had a compost heap on the roof, carefully tended by volunteers (brownie points!), different waste systems for plastic, aluminum, paper, and just plain garbage.  The lights turned on and off by motion detectors, and the toilet faucets had those IR sensors which would turn the water on and off automatically.

This building had won many green awards, posted prominently in the lobby.

The other, older building was what you might charitably call "brown."  Dark brown.  Oh, you know, toilets with full pressure flushers which would give a satisfying roar as they gobbled down the stuff, manual light switches, and faucets you turned on and off manually.

OK, but every once in a while a big meeting would be called at the "brown" building, and since I shuffled back and forth between the two buildings, I had occasion to notice that whenever a meeting was held in the brown building, almost every time I went to the john, I'd find the faucets running.

The folks from the green building, who had gotten used to the automatic faucets, would leave them on, expecting them to shut off, stick their hands under the noisy blow-dryers, and leave.

Sometimes there were even two faucets left running.

Lord only knows how much water was used up because of this.

Truly it is said (by me), that going green is sometimes like a kid's party balloon.  You push in here, and it comes out there.

Terry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:06:45 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2013, 08:54:18 AM »
As bad as the automatic towel dispensers are the automatic faucets are even worse.  Generally because they 1) put out the equivalent of a decent spit's worth of water, and 2) they immediately stop the minute you get your hands good and soapy, so you end up waving your hands like you are trying to perform a magic trick to get the water to flow again to rinse the soap off.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2013, 11:39:54 AM »
I would like to take a wrench and beat the ever-loving *expletive deleted*it out of the "green idea fairy" because there is always a problem with the stupid crap that gets dreamed up and forcefully implemented by the idiots I work for.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
I really doubt that any building has decreased water temp as a cost saving measure.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 12:19:39 PM »
I really doubt that any building has decreased water temp as a cost saving measure.

Not decreased water temperature. It appears to me that the hot water faucet is simply connected to the cold. (I've had ICE cold water come out of the hot water faucet, and only have it get colder as I let it run.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
Not decreased water temperature. It appears to me that the hot water faucet is simply connected to the cold. (I've had ICE cold water come out of the hot water faucet, and only have it get colder as I let it run.)

Yeah, it doesn't really work that way.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 12:40:11 PM »
Yeah, it doesn't really work that way.

Is there some law preventing it from working that way?

It's not all that hard to hook the hot water up to the cold.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »

I haven't heard of that being done, but I seem to remember hearing it recommended as a cost-saving measure for homeowners. And put on a sweater.

Mak,

If the hot water faucet yields cold water, I see three likely reasons:

The water heater is some distance away, and the hot water hasn't reached you yet.

Or there's something wrong with the water heater.

Or somebody hooked somep'n up back-ards.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
With some single-handle faucets, the stem and handle can very easily be installed the wrong way, so that you get cold when you want hot, and vice versa.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »
I haven't heard of that being done, but I seem to remember hearing it recommended as a cost-saving measure for homeowners. And put on a sweater.

Mak,

If the hot water faucet yields cold water, I see three likely reasons:

The water heater is some distance away, and the hot water hasn't reached you yet.

Or there's something wrong with the water heater.

Or somebody hooked somep'n up back-ards.

1) I realize how hot water faucets work.

2) If there is something wrong with the water heater, there's been "something wrong" at multiple locations I have had to use the public bathroom

3) Seems a lot of places are hooking things up backwards. (And, to be sure, I would often turn off the hot and try the cold... to discover it is just as cold.)

Now, it may not be "cost cutting" per se: it may be the "green" movement. I can say, for certain, most of the bathrooms I've had to use lately have not had hot water.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
I vote cost cutting.  Centrally fed hot water systems are expensive.  Room specific on-demand units are expensive.  Replacing aging systems is expensive.  In other words, hot water in a commercial building is expensive.  Solution?  No hot water.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 12:52:29 PM »
Some executive decided to turn off the water heaters as a cost saving measure.  All the other execs patted him on the back and said "Great idea" and gave him a big bonus based on the unrealistically-projected cost savings.

The executive restroom has its own on-demand water heater.

"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that people are turning off water heaters to save money, or the planet. But I would also guess it might be a case of people putting off repairs on non-critical items. My Dad says that he can gauge the country's economic health by the number of one-eyed cars on the road.  :lol:

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
Epic contractor fail:

Friends had a very expensive house in NoVA built (IMHO the workmanship from their builder was shoddy all the way around...lots of "WTF?" mistakes for a million dollar home).
Somehow the master bathroom toilet was hooked to the hot water supply.  Gave a new meaning to taking a steamer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 02:35:43 PM »
Is there some law preventing it from working that way?

It's not all that hard to hook the hot water up to the cold.

Turning off the hot so that nothing comes out would be easy. If it's a two line faucet then you'd need to buy a splitter to t the cold off to both sides, which would be 1. expensive and 2. pointless.

I'm guessing selection bias here, especially as your first reaction was blaming Obama cause the local mall didn't have hot water.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2013, 03:23:29 PM »
Turning off the hot so that nothing comes out would be easy. If it's a two line faucet then you'd need to buy a splitter to t the cold off to both sides, which would be 1. expensive and 2. pointless.

I'm guessing selection bias here, especially as your first reaction was blaming Obama cause the local mall didn't have hot water.

I'm blaming the economy for the lack of hot water. I DO blame Obama for the economy. Do you think he is blameless, or even not mostly to blame?

Secondly, it could be selection bias. I have, however, done rather extensive travel over the past few months and I have two small children which necessitates the use of public bathrooms far more often than I would by myself.

My wife has noticed the exact same phenomenon, so it could be only happening at the places we frequent (even separately).

I will also note that this is a recent phenomenon: our daughter is 2 and a half, and I don't remember the hot water being cold 2.5 years ago when we first had to increase our usage of public bathrooms.  

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
That's a silly strawman. "You don't agree with my rampantly ignorant post about the field you work in? Obviously you love Obama!"  ;/

I'm observing that 1. water temp adjustments are very, very unlikely to be correlated to the economy 2. if it was, it would be a result of the hot water delivery system being entirely shut off, not "hooking the cold up to the hot side" which in the majority of installations is not feasible.

Look, I do commercial building management for a living, and have a lot of friends and contacts in the business. I've never heard of anyone turning off hot water for energy savings, it wouldn't save anything if they did, and tenants bitch like there's no tomorrow about even properly functioning water systems because of the lag time associated in hot water getting to the faucet, temps not being hot enough etc. It would be a gigantic Washington Monument Syndrome ploy, but perpetrated by a business against its customers, and without telling them which negates the point of the attempt. It's not impossible that the management folks in your geographic area are all simultaneously doing something stupid, but it seems very unlikely to me.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 03:40:47 PM »
Some people are taking this way 2 serious.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 03:50:31 PM »
That's a silly strawman. "You don't agree with my rampantly ignorant post about the field you work in? Obviously you love Obama!"  ;/

I'm observing that 1. water temp adjustments are very, very unlikely to be correlated to the economy 2. if it was, it would be a result of the hot water delivery system being entirely shut off, not "hooking the cold up to the hot side" which in the majority of installations is not feasible.

Look, I do commercial building management for a living, and have a lot of friends and contacts in the business. I've never heard of anyone turning off hot water for energy savings, it wouldn't save anything if they did, and tenants bitch like there's no tomorrow about even properly functioning water systems because of the lag time associated in hot water getting to the faucet, temps not being hot enough etc. It would be a gigantic Washington Monument Syndrome ploy, but perpetrated by a business against its customers, and without telling them which negates the point of the attempt. It's not impossible that the management folks in your geographic area are all simultaneously doing something stupid, but it seems very unlikely to me.

I really wasn't planning on this thread being a debate, but let me say that this statement:

is a lot more helpful than:

Context helps.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
That is true.