Author Topic: It's legally a good shoot, but  (Read 32088 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: It's legally a good shoot, but
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »
Would you issue a concealed carry permit to someone who thinks shooting people for being generally useless is a good thing?

Sorry ... multiple felony (beginning at age 17) and numerous misdemeanor convictions over a span of multiple years is a tad bit worse than "useless." But that's irrelevant. Drejka didn't shoot McGlockton because he was useless, or because of the rap sheet. He shot him because McGlockton assaulted him.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Sorry ... multiple felony (beginning at age 17) and numerous misdemeanor convictions over a span of multiple years is a tad bit worse than "useless." But that's irrelevant. Drejka didn't shoot McGlockton because he was useless, or because of the rap sheet. He shot him because McGlockton assaulted him.

Shooting someone who is backing away from you after an assault isn’t legal. Provocation reduces your sentence, it doesn’t justify a killing.

Probably helpful to read the warrant - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4755192-Michael-Drejka-Arrest-Warrant-081318.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 09:45:51 AM by De Selby »
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
Shooting someone who is backing away from you after an assault isn’t legal.

"After"?

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
Would you issue a concealed carry permit to someone who thinks shooting people for being generally useless is a good thing?

I wouldn't issue a ccw permit to anyone who couldn't recognize sarcasm .... they might not have a rap sheet,  but that's the only difference.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
I wouldn't issue a ccw permit who couldn't recognize sarcasm .... they might not have a rap sheet,  but that's the only difference.  [tinfoil]

And I wouldn't issue a CCW permit ever.  CCW permits are for commies.   >:D [ar15]
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2018, 12:33:07 PM »
Shooting someone who is backing away from you after an assault isn’t legal. Provocation reduces your sentence, it doesn’t justify a killing.

Admittedly, I haven't actually watched the video.

How long an interval between the assailant backing up and the first shot? Because it's entirely possible (and plausible) that the shooter was already squeezing the trigger when the assailant started to back up. I've read of shootings like that
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2018, 01:17:30 PM »
I have heard a lot of people say he had stepped back.  With no sound and grainy picture, I couldn't really tell if he backed up when he saw him trying to draw or if it happened at the first shot.  I thought he knocked him to the ground, followed through with a couple steps, stopped, then backed up a step somewhere between the shooter drawing and the first shot.  Once the shooting started, he backed up more and went back into the store.  I just don't think the backing up is clear enough or soon enough to negate the self defense claim.

Maybe I will go back and watch it again later also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
Admittedly, I haven't actually watched the video.

How long an interval between the assailant backing up and the first shot? Because it's entirely possible (and plausible) that the shooter was already squeezing the trigger when the assailant started to back up. I've read of shootings like that
I recommend finding the video.  You can also see just how hard he knocked the guy to the ground.  

This is a news clip, but shows the video in the first 10 or 15 seconds.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDtzofAUSJI

Looks like he did take a step back when he saw the gun being drawn, but I am not sure one or one and half steps negate the self defense claim.  Would you call that an attempt to break off?  The claim by the woman that he backed off after pushing is not true IMO.  It wasn't until after the draw and the shooting.  We also don't know what was being said by either man at that point.  Police saw this footage when they decided he would not be arrested also.

When it comes down to it, we don't control what happens to this guy.  For us, this is a good video to show people when you want to make a point about 1) not getting drawn into an argument while carrying, and 2) keeping aware of what is around you as someone can blindside you if you are distracted, and 3) stay aware of the situation as you pull your gun and are about to shoot.  Small things that might slip your notice across a short few seconds of time can change a good shoot to a bad shoot in many people's eyes after the fact.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2018, 02:05:42 PM »

So assault and battery is now equivalent to "provocation"? Got it.

Probably helpful to read the warrant - https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4755192-Michael-Drejka-Arrest-Warrant-081318.html

Not helpful at all. All that does is set forth the state's contention that the shooting was illegal. Drejka says it was legal self defense. That's why we have trials, and judges, and juries. The warrant doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2018, 05:43:56 PM »
OK, I watched it

Given stress compression, the shooter probably didn't even realize his assailant had backed up: looked like maybe a step or two at most. Disoriented after being violently shoved to the ground, and the assailant takes a step backwards? I probably wouldn't catch that, either

No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
OK, I watched it

Given stress compression, the shooter probably didn't even realize his assailant had backed up: looked like maybe a step or two at most. Disoriented after being violently shoved to the ground, and the assailant takes a step backwards? I probably wouldn't catch that, either

Especially after the assailant had first taken a few steps forward, after the shove. And that shove wasn't an "excuse me, can we talk?" love tap -- that was a violent shove.

And, since you understand about stress and temporal distortion ... you can't be on the jury.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2018, 08:14:19 PM »
So assault and battery is now equivalent to "provocation"? Got it.

Not helpful at all. All that does is set forth the state's contention that the shooting was illegal. Drejka says it was legal self defense. That's why we have trials, and judges, and juries. The warrant doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Did you catch the part where other patrons were so worried about Drejkas behaviour towards the woman they considered intervening, and went inside to report it to the store owner? And that hearing that is why the deceased went outside in the first place?

How about when Drejka called a septic tank company and told them they were lucky he didn’t blow the drivers head off for parking in the disabled spot?

Yeah, no. Reading the warrant it’s pretty clear why he’s charged and if true, those facts are a pretty solid prosecution case.  I especially like how Drejka rant out of distance to keep backing up the cop during role play.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2018, 09:33:36 PM »
Did you catch the part where other patrons were so worried about Drejkas behaviour towards the woman they considered intervening,

Worried about what?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2018, 09:36:53 PM »
Worried about what?

“He appeared to be irate” and was waving his arms and shouting, to the point that a customer went inside and told the counter (and the dead guy) that someone should go outside and intervene.

The full warrant outlining probable cause to arrest for manslaughter is at that link above.

The more facts that come out the more it looks like Drejka is the poster child for anti-ccw types. He appears to have a history of waving his gun around and looking for an excuse

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #164 on: August 26, 2018, 01:06:12 AM »
nm.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #165 on: August 26, 2018, 01:39:20 AM »
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #166 on: August 26, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
“He appeared to be irate” and was waving his arms and shouting, to the point that a customer went inside and told the counter (and the dead guy) that someone should go outside and intervene.

The full warrant outlining probable cause to arrest for manslaughter is at that link above.

The more facts that come out the more it looks like Drejka is the poster child for anti-ccw types. He appears to have a history of waving his gun around and looking for an excuse

So he was angry. How does this change anything?
Any word on the woman?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2018, 01:51:36 AM »
Any word on the woman?

She has been hitting as many newscasts as she can. Obviously, Drejka was just out to kill a black man, because she "didn't do anything wrong."

I posted this link before, a commentary on the incident from the perspective of a black male. If you watched it before, no need to watch it again unless you want to. If you missed it ... here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1bst-lJr0Q

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2018, 02:30:05 AM »
Any word on the woman?

Did you read the warrant??? His behaviour had bystanders who didn’t know anyone involved in the shooting concerned for her.

Hawk moon, more damaging than her words will be Drejka’s documented history of shouting racial slurs while threatening to shoot people over road rage incidents and parking spaces.  It is reasonable to believe he was looking to shoot a black person if that warrant has the facts straight.

I’ll add that shouting racial slurs and waving the gun is documented from multiple independent sources, some of which were recorded before the shooting.  Not looking good for the guy...harder to claim you were just not aware enough to see the victim backing away when you’ve got evidence about your mindset towards black people and guns like that.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #169 on: August 26, 2018, 02:49:22 AM »
Did you read the warrant??? His behaviour had bystanders who didn’t know anyone involved in the shooting concerned for her.

They were concerned for a woman, inside a truck, several feet away from a man who was yelling mean things; a man who made no attempt to actually come at her. And apparently this totally makes it ok for the guy to blindside him by violently shoving him to the ground, and then threateningly move towards him while he is on the ground.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #170 on: August 26, 2018, 03:00:32 AM »
They were concerned for a woman, inside a truck, several feet away from a man who was yelling mean things; a man who made no attempt to actually come at her. And apparently this totally makes it ok for the guy to blindside him by violently shoving him to the ground, and then threateningly move towards him while he is on the ground.

Again - did you actually read the document setting out the charge? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #171 on: August 26, 2018, 12:01:12 PM »
Again - did you actually read the document setting out the charge?  

Yes ... three times. What are you seeing that we're missing? Remember, this is only the state's allegation, it's not necessarily correct or factual, and it hasn't been tried in court.

Basically, all the warrant says is that Drejka used a gun to shoot a person, and the state thinks that it wasn't legal for him to have done so. Oh ... and in so doing, he offended the "peace and dignity" of the State of Florida.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #172 on: August 26, 2018, 03:36:14 PM »
I read the warrant and the one thing that jumped out at me was the statement that the shootee was over 10 feet away from the shooter. The access aisle (hashmarks on the ground) is 5 feet wide, and in looking at the video unless the shootee is 12 feet tall I find it hard to believe he was > 10 feet away. One fatal flaw in the warrant which points to possibly even more problems with it.

As far as the prior actions alleged by the Detective, they will never see the light of day in court.  It is hearsay at best and flat out lies at worst and even some two bit ambulance chasing lawyer knows how to get that thrown out.

bob
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 05:26:01 PM by BobR »

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #173 on: August 26, 2018, 10:17:28 PM »
I read the warrant and the one thing that jumped out at me was the statement that the shootee was over 10 feet away from the shooter. The access aisle (hashmarks on the ground) is 5 feet wide, and in looking at the video unless the shootee is 12 feet tall I find it hard to believe he was > 10 feet away. One fatal flaw in the warrant which points to possibly even more problems with it.

I watched the video again, and I have to agree. I'd put the distance at more like 6 feet, certainly not "over 10 feet."

Distance aside, IMHO you can't overlook the factor of time. We get to watch a video, slow it down, rewind, play it again, and analyze it until we're cross-eyed. Drejka didn't have the benefit of instant replay. The shove was at 0:18. From 0:18 to 0:21, Drejka was falling and rolling on the ground, and McGlockton was advancing. At 0:21, Drejka apparently starts to draw and McGlockton stops advancing. The shot(s) was (were) at 0:23 to 0:24.

So in the span of five seconds Drejka's universe switched from being in a verbal argument with a woman to rolling on the ground and having shot a man, purportedly in self defense. That's just not a lot of time in which to process "Hey! WTF just happened here?"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #174 on: August 26, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
Actually, my first reaction to McGlockton was that he was getting ready to follow up with a kicking and stomping attack.

After I watched it again, I wasn't so sure, but I could see how the person on the ground might view it that way, not having the "long view" of the camera.

We'll see.  I still don't see how any antecedent activities or statements mattered in terms of the self defense decision of the shooter at that moment.

In somewhat more civilized days, the respective parties would have selected Seconds to arrange a time and place to settle the matter.

But those were more civilized days.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 11:34:27 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.