Author Topic: Trouble in Ukraine  (Read 65493 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Trouble in Ukraine
« Reply #175 on: March 17, 2014, 05:25:54 AM »
I really hope he isn't that narcissistic and stupid.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2014, 08:11:12 AM »
I really hope he isn't that narcissistic and stupid.

That may be a forlorn hope.  We shall see.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #177 on: March 17, 2014, 10:08:55 AM »
My biggest worry now is that Obama will realize how mom jeans he looks and try to do something to show how tough he is.

There was a time I would have said you were either kidding or had your tinfoil too tight. These days I just don't know.

I thought that was the stupidest picture possible when it came out. I think his 5th Avenue PR team came up with it to make him look like a tough guy (and rolling your sleeves up to show your skinny arms doesn't help with the "tough" image BTW), and maybe to his Milquetoast constituency he does. To the rest of the world it looks like he got interrupted on his way to an Environmental Defense Fund wine and cheese mixer. Some presidents can get away with the "tough guy" image and still be taken seriously. Others need to put on a damn suit.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #178 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
As I understand it the Crimean referendum choices were join Russia or declare independence then most likely join Russia anyway. Doesn't sound too legit.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #179 on: March 17, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
As I understand it the Crimean referendum choices were join Russia or declare independence then most likely join Russia anyway. Doesn't sound too legit.

And this differs from American elections how  ???

;)   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »
And this differs from American elections how  ???

;)   :lol:

No .mil troops or APCs in the streets.

Yet. =|
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:05 PM »
No .mil troops or APCs in the streets.

Yet. =|

Skip the first thirty seconds.  Ignore that she's an annoying thing.  Real meat is about 45 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzIyPilPsCc

How long till the police are monitoring the elections in these?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2014, 03:55:06 PM »
I don't get it...the Nazis and the Commies went toe to toe again, and still no meteor strike.  Somebody needs to pray harder.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:51 PM »
Skip the first thirty seconds.  Ignore that she's an annoying thing.  Real meat is about 45 seconds in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzIyPilPsCc

How long till the police are monitoring the elections in these?

So she's detailing every small town that gots an MRAP?

Is this the one that quit RT about a week ago?

I know a guy that gets a lot of his news from RT.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2014, 03:31:34 AM »
Any bets on how long before Ukrain does "something" to threaten either Crimean or Russian security and forces Russia to take preemptive action and occupy Kiev?

the pessimist in me says inside 90 days.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2014, 03:10:58 AM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2014, 11:40:36 PM »
Still wondering what effect this will have on our astronauts going to the ISS Russian space station.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #187 on: March 21, 2014, 06:35:24 AM »
Still wondering what effect this will have on our astronauts going to the ISS Russian space station.

Probably, but we have alternatives: http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/03/11/upcoming-mission-falcon-9-and-dragon-launching-space-station
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #188 on: March 21, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
Probably, but we have alternatives: http://www.spacex.com/news/2014/03/11/upcoming-mission-falcon-9-and-dragon-launching-space-station

Tie a really long, heat resistant rope on that thing, and then have our astronauts start practicing with ascender-equipped space suits.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #189 on: March 21, 2014, 06:14:53 PM »
I'm thinking this could have gone much more smoothly for old Vladimir, if he had taken the opposite tack on the whole rights-for-homos thing, back a couple of months ago. He'd be a hero, and have Obama's support in whatever he did.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #190 on: March 21, 2014, 06:17:23 PM »
I'm thinking this could have gone much more smoothly for old Vladimir, if he had taken the opposite tack on the whole rights-for-homos thing, back a couple of months ago. He'd be a hero, and have Obama's support in whatever he did.

I think he strengthens his position both internally and externally by giving Obama the diplomatic version of a swirlie.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:27 PM »
I think he strengthens his position both internally and externally by giving Obama the diplomatic version of a swirlie.

There is that.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
That's not just a regular swirlie that Vlad's handing out, it's a chocolate swirlie.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #193 on: March 22, 2014, 12:01:51 AM »
That's raciss!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #194 on: March 22, 2014, 07:49:11 AM »

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Re: Trouble in Ukraine
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »
Russian diplomat stabbed by Ukranian-Canadian soldier.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Soldier+family+stunned+charge+stabbing+Russian+diplomat/9623277/story.html

Was the diplomat's first name Franz?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2014, 11:22:43 PM »
Was the diplomat's first name Franz?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I vote we stay out of the next WW.  WWI and WWII didn't do us much good.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #197 on: March 24, 2014, 11:33:08 AM »
I vote we stay out of the next WW.  WWI and WWII didn't do us much good.

WWI, probably not. WWII, yea.

Japan attacked us, and would have continued its expansionist policies to threaten our direct interests.
Letting Germany or the Soviet Union enslave all of Europe would NOT have been good for our national security, economic concerns and other interests.

It also gave us a jump start on military technology that was crucial during the Cold War. Would you really have wanted us facing the Soviets with a tech deficiency of a decade plus?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
WWI, probably not. WWII, yea.

Japan attacked us, and would have continued its expansionist policies to threaten our direct interests.
Letting Germany or the Soviet Union enslave all of Europe would NOT have been good for our national security, economic concerns and other interests.

It also gave us a jump start on military technology that was crucial during the Cold War. Would you really have wanted us facing the Soviets with a tech deficiency of a decade plus?

Were we not involved in WWII, the USSR would not have been a threat afterwards.  It may not even have existed.  Germany would have gobbled up the useful bits of the western USSR up to the Urals and set up satrapies.  The eastern USSR had relatively little industry with which they could have threatened anyone not a Siberian subsistence hunter.  Post-war for the USSR, had it survived, would have had a peril-filled existence what with China getting unified under Mao in 1949.

USSR was well and truly @$%^ed without both our "Lend-Lease" hardware (to include beau coup trucks to bring in the harvests and imperial buttloads of war materiel) and -eventually- another front to relieve the German pressure on them.

So, you would have had a German-controlled Europe from the English channel to the Urals...for a while.  Until the locals figured out there was no way in Hades Germany could control such a mass of humans with its population.  To keep control, Germany would have to have a great deal of cooperation from the locals.  And were such cooperation forthcoming, how illegitimate would the satrapies then be?  Any less than the USSR's?  How about relative to the EU?  Would a "premature EUSSR" have less legitimacy than the current undemocratic EU?

===============

Yep, Japan attacked, so that was their *expletive deleted*ss.  No stopping the American public from grinding them into paste after that, even if our leaders wanted to ignore Japan and focus on saving western europe the USSR from the Hun.  And I doubt that if Germany had refrained from declaring war on the USA we could have prevented our leaders from declaring war on Germany. 

At the end of WWII we still had most of Europe in chains and the largest malefactor got rewarded for their savagery.  Also, though the USA ended up a superpower, so did the USSR.  And then we had Mao and N Korea and N Vietnam, too.  The latter two would not have existed without a post WWII USSR superpower.

So, yeah, WWII did not do us much good for what we expended on it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »

Russia is stealing Chernomornaftogaz. Er, I mean, Crimea is nationalizing Chernomornaftogaz and giving it to Gazprom in a gesture of solidarity. And Russia is jacking up the price of gas to make Ukraine pay for its own invasion.

http://www.lufkin.ru/en/news/ukraine-loses-gas-discount-%E2%80%93-putin%E2%80%99s-spokesman
http://www.lufkin.ru/en/news/ukraine-pay-agreed-price-russian-gas-minister
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.