Author Topic: Brushes for an obsolete electric drill  (Read 565 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Brushes for an obsolete electric drill
« on: July 30, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
Anyone know how I can determine the proper brushes for an obsolete electric drill? I've got my Grandfather's 1/2" Dormeyer. The brushes that are in it are OK for now, but they're worn and it probably won't be long until they'll require replacement.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Brushes for an obsolete electric drill
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:46:07 AM »
My local Ace hardware store has a pretty big selection of brushes of various sizes and shapes.
You might have to find something close and modify it to fit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »
RKL had a good suggestion.  It's also possible the brushes are pretty generic in their size and shape.  There is a fair chance you will be able to find something to fit at your local hardware store.  Even if it's something close, the brushes are carbon (graphite maybe?), so they will be easy to sand down to fit with some fine grit sandpaper or some small files.
It will be messy, though.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 12:28:10 PM »
OK, good suggestions, thanks.

I've not had to replace the brushes on anything in over 30 years, and the last time I did they were commonly available for Craftsman drills.

I'd like to keep this drill going, not because it's sentimental, but because it's a high-torque, low speed (500 rpm) drill that's really good for drilling holes in tough material.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 02:51:48 PM »
I tried to resurrect my maternal grandfather's drill a few months ago, but this was for sentimental reasons.  I got it from my Dad, who had gotten it from my grandfather years back.  Dad tried to fix it, but he's not much for working on things electrical.
On examination I found brush issues and a dirty switch, plus a bad cord.  Fixed all that and it still wouldn't work.  Turns out the motor has a bad winding.  I'm not sure just how badly I want to rewind the motor to get it going again.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
I've got Dad's old Skil drill. Aluminum case and it was a pretty stout unit. When I got it the cord was in bad enough shape i cut it off. As far as I know it just needs a new cord. It's on my list of tools to refurb.  I'll probably polish it as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 03:06:51 PM »
I've got Dad's old Skil drill. Aluminum case and it was a pretty stout unit. When I got it the cord was in bad enough shape i cut it off. As far as I know it just needs a new cord. It's on my list of tools to refurb.  I'll probably polish it as well.

That sounds like it would be a neat project.  Let us know how it turns out when you finally get around to it.