Author Topic: Shoulder holsters for hiking?  (Read 2069 times)

zahc

• friend
Shoulder holsters for hiking?
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:14:12 PM »
Since I live in bear country now I am considering using it as an excuse to buy some sort of bear gun. I'm leaning towards a Glock 20, and carrying in some sort of chest or shoulder holster. But in the meantime I want to buy a similar holster for my 1911. What is a good holster for carrying a full size auto while hiking or camping? Is shoulder the best configuration? Is it better to get leather or something else that will withstand getting soaked in sweat better?

I don't know anything about holsters. I only have one other holster at all, and it's a crossbreed for CC. I've been happy with it so I haven't looked into other types. Where can you go to try out holsters? It doesn't seem like gun stores have much to look at.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Shoulder holsters for hiking?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 01:43:56 PM »
A shoulder holster might work okay in seasons other than Summer, but in Summer I don't think you're going to like it. It's going to get more and more uncomfortable the more you sweat. If you're getting a Glock, I would just get a Kydex or Kydex hybrid OWB holster and call it good.  I think I would even rather do a tacticool thigh rig over the shoulder holster for hiking. For just camping, a shoulder rig might be okay for you.

Cabelas and Impact Guns are probably going to have the biggest selection on hand for you to look at in the Boise region. Though it's likely you'll just have to look at reviews and order one online.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 01:54:38 PM »
I've seen at least a couple folks say this kydex chest rig was good:  https://survial-sheath.myshopify.com/collections/holsters/products/the-chest-rig.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 02:09:29 PM »
I've never tried one, but I bet a chest rig would be better for the op's uses than a shoulder holster.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 02:34:50 PM »
I've never tried one, but I bet a chest rig would be better for the op's uses than a shoulder holster.

I have to agree, it seems a shoulder holster would not be the best choice but when have I ever been know to make the *best* choice. :)

I spend a bit of time in the woods in the panhandle of ID from May (morels) to July (huckleberries). I will normally carry OWB whichever gun I choose for the day. It is usually a S&W in 45 Colt (mainly because I want something that is simple and can be totally operated one handed). Maybe I believe in overkill but I would consider a 10mm as the bare minimum in bear country. It will be more than adequate for the wolves and mountain lions but for me seems a little light for bears who probably want to eat you. When I trek into areas where I will be stealing the bear's food I normally carry a 12 gauge stoked with slugs on a 2 point sling. Does it get in the way? Sometimes. Is it heavy? Yes, much more than a pistol. Do I care if people think it is overkill to carry a shotgun? No, and when the bears are using their ribs for toothpicks I will be at home enjoying a cold Dragon's Breath laughing at them. ;)

bob

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:46:39 PM »
Shoulder holsters stuck for camping and hiking, because you almost always have a pack of some kind.

I have used a combination of paddle holster and holster on my packs waistbelt successfully,  but obviously you have to move the gun around. Sometimes that's annoying. Thigh ribs stuck to walk very far in, but a dropped and offset holster (like for under a plate carrier) works with a pack and camping, without clamping on your leg.

Remember, unless you have cute little adorable bears, a bear gun is a pretty big, heavy gun.

I have had the most success, when I lived up north, with a super Redhawk in a chest rig, or an n frame in and offset rig. My wife's grandfather carried his 657 in a chest rig on the Kenai, and swore by it,

Something like these:
https://gunfightersinc.com/kenai-chest-holster/

https://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/products/guides-choice-chest-holster

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 09:11:18 PM »
https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacker-concealment-holster/

Highly recommend this.  The Wilderness Safepacker.  Like a full flap holster.  I once set up a rig with one of these holsters on a military pistol belt, along with a canteen and a few other pouches.  Completely non-aggressive in appearance. Looks like a fancy hiking fanny pack.  You could even add a shoulder harness to get some of the weight off your hips.  Bonus, you can wear it year round, and not worry about the heat.  It's water resistant.  Not the fastest draw, but better than trying to outrun a predator.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 10:56:56 PM »
I've seen at least a couple folks say this kydex chest rig was good:  https://survial-sheath.myshopify.com/collections/holsters/products/the-chest-rig.

It cracks me up that they have 8000 pictures of that holster in different color combinations, but only one that partially shows you where the straps go on the body.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 11:25:12 PM »
I shot a black bear at 20 feet with a .300g 444 Marlin (2250 fps so 3300 ft lbs of energy), it still ran 30 yards before it died. I had complete pass through and half its guts blown out the exit wound. Just something to think about when selecting a bear gun.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 12:43:35 AM »
I shot a black bear at 20 feet with a .300g 444 Marlin (2250 fps so 3300 ft lbs of energy), it still ran 30 yards before it died. I had complete pass through and half its guts blown out the exit wound. Just something to think about when selecting a bear gun.

In other words, your holster should have wheels and a motor.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »
The safepacker looks pretty awesome, and pretty stealthy too so as not to alarm the sensitive. I think I will get one first but I'm not sure about actually wearing it. It seems like hanging it on your belt it would just flop around. We'll see.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
I don't know that there is anything that is guaranteed to stop a bear in its tracks that is also man-portable.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
I don't know that there is anything that is guaranteed to stop a bear in its tracks that is also man-portable.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 11:08:52 AM »
Know a few people that have tried using a shoulder holster at one point or another. All of them went back to a reg holster after finding the shoulder holster to be quite uncomfortable to wear for long periods plus sweating all over the gun was a problem. Quite a few things that look cool in movies suck in real life.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 11:24:40 AM »
Know a few people that have tried using a shoulder holster at one point or another. All of them went back to a reg holster after finding the shoulder holster to be quite uncomfortable to wear for long periods plus sweating all over the gun was a problem. Quite a few things that look cool in movies suck in real life.

You're saying I should NOT be Mexican-carrying this gold-plated Deagle?

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
No one is saying that, fistful.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 12:03:11 PM »

Cultural appropriation!
Report to your nearest indoctrination camp immediately for reeducation. If unaware of the location of the nearest camp, which is itself an infraction, you can find it by googling "Nearest University".  
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 01:29:05 PM »
While I'm sure there is no gun really big enough to DRT a bear, I'm also sure that any gun at all is better than none, especially considering there may be occasion to defend against things aside from bears.

This article suggest handguns work pretty decent.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/
--Tallpine

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 02:26:22 PM »
Cultural appropriation!

Because of the Mexican Latinx carry, or because of the Israeli pistol?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 02:37:01 PM »
While I'm sure there is no gun really big enough to DRT a bear, I'm also sure that any gun at all is better than none, especially considering there may be occasion to defend against things aside from bears.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/defense-against-bears-with-pistols-97-success-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/

I noticed that in the second incident listed, the bear was actually charged. I'm glad they caught him. Hope they make it stick.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:41 PM »

I'd probably still want a 10mm or .41 mag as a minimum for bear defense, preferably in a revolver, because it doesn't for bang, pull the trigger again. I have a .454 Casull, but the barrel is too long for carrying in the woods, so I'll probably get a .44 Mag or .45 Colt in a 4" or 5" barrel before my next bear hunt, which will be next fall.

Uranus is a gas giant.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 07:59:02 PM »
I'm assuming that hiking involves a significant backpack, whether a daypack or a multi-day internal or external frame backpacker's rig?

I've tried lots of things, but what I keep coming back to is some form of either drop-leg or drop/offset strong side holster.

Whether it's a buscadero style revolver belt and holster, a drop/offset (sometimes called jacket slot) holster, or ninjatactical drop leg rig, the best solution I've found is to leave the belt area free for the waist of the pack to attach properly but the pistol still be accessible.  Chest rigs have been too hot for me.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 08:39:48 PM »
I'd probably still want a 10mm or .41 mag as a minimum for bear defense, preferably in a revolver, because it doesn't for bang, pull the trigger again. I have a .454 Casull, but the barrel is too long for carrying in the woods, so I'll probably get a .44 Mag or .45 Colt in a 4" or 5" barrel before my next bear hunt, which will be next fall.

My Vaquero in .45LC is my woods handgun. Can load nearly as hot as the .44mag, and the 5" barrel is a lot handier than my Super Blackhawk, which I'm selling anyway.

I know I'll get grief for it, but  I find carrying it in a Hunter Holster Company crossdraw to be the most comfortable.

10MM seems to be cutting it close for large animal defense, IMO. Not hating on 10MM - I have one. It's just not my first choice if I have other stuff available, and my Delta Elite probably weighs about the same as my Vaquero.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 08:45:43 PM »
My Vaquero in .45LC is my woods handgun. Can load nearly as hot as the .44mag, and the 5" barrel is a lot handier than my Super Blackhawk, which I'm selling anyway.

I know I'll get grief for it, but  I find carrying it in a Hunter Holster Company crossdraw to be the most comfortable.

10MM seems to be cutting it close for large animal defense, IMO. Not hating on 10MM - I have one. It's just not my first choice if I have other stuff available, and my Delta Elite probably weighs about the same as my Vaquero.

I'll probably get a S&W Mountain Gun in stainless, since I already load .45 Colt/.454 Casull. I want a double action, draw and fire. I better start looking might take me a while.

Uranus is a gas giant.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 10:45:01 PM »
I'll probably get a S&W Mountain Gun in stainless, since I already load .45 Colt/.454 Casull. I want a double action, draw and fire. I better start looking might take me a while.

That is an excellent choice, but I may be somewhat biased towards S&W revolvers, esp Mountain Guns. I use a 25-5 and load up 255gr  hardcast semi-wadcutter to run about 900fps. 

bob