Author Topic: Mubai Cops Wouldn't shoot back?  (Read 3933 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Mubai Cops Wouldn't shoot back?
« on: November 30, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »
Wtf, over?
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/world-news/article14086308.ece
It is the photograph that has dominated the world's front pages, casting an astonishing light on the fresh-faced killers who brought terror to the heart of India's most vibrant city. Now it can be revealed how the astonishing picture came to be taken by a newspaper photographer who hid inside a train carriage as gunfire erupted all around him.

Sebastian D'Souza, a picture editor at the Mumbai Mirror, whose offices are just opposite the city's Chhatrapati Shivaji station, heard the gunfire erupt and ran towards the terminus. "I ran into the first carriage of one of the trains on the platform to try and get a shot but couldn't get a good angle, so I moved to the second carriage and waited for the gunmen to walk by," he said. "They were shooting from waist height and fired at anything that moved. I briefly had time to take a couple of frames using a telephoto lens. I think they saw me taking photographs but theydidn't seem to care."

The gunmen were terrifyingly professional, making sure at least one of them was able to fire their rifle while the other reloaded. By the time he managed to capture the killer on camera, Mr D'Souza had already seen two gunmen calmly stroll across the station concourse shooting both civilians and policemen, many of whom, he said, were armed but did not fire back. "I first saw the gunmen outside the station," Mr D'Souza said. "With their rucksacks and Western clothes they looked like backpackers, not terrorists, but they were very heavily armed and clearly knew how to use their rifles.

"Towards the station entrance, there are a number of bookshops and one of the bookstore owners was trying to close his shop," he recalled. "The gunmen opened fire and the shopkeeper fell down."

But what angered Mr D'Souza almost as much were the masses of armed police hiding in the area who simply refused to shoot back. "There were armed policemen hiding all around the station but none of them did anything," he said. "At one point, I ran up to them and told them to use their weapons. I said, 'Shoot them, they're sitting ducks!' but they just didn't shoot back."

As the gunmen fired at policemen taking cover across the street, Mr D'Souza realised a train was pulling into the station unaware of the horror within. "I couldn't believe it. We rushed to the platform and told everyone to head towards the back of the station. Those who were older and couldn't run, we told them to stay put."

The militants returned inside the station and headed towards a rear exit towards Chowpatty Beach. Mr D'Souza added: "I told some policemen the gunmen had moved towards the rear of the station but they refused to follow them. What is the point if having policemen with guns if they refuse to use them? I only wish I had a gun rather than a camera."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Mubai Cops Wouldn't shoot back?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
Gun does not always mean gun with ammo.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 01:57:38 AM »
Or the will and skill to use it.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
Or the will and skill to use it.

Sounds like they were scared.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:38:20 AM »
You know that after hurricane Andrew, they sent the national guard out in Miami with ARs and no ammo, right?

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
I would hope we would have done better.  Somehow I doubt it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 08:54:20 PM »
I would hope we would have done better.  Somehow I doubt it.

I don't.

It's a cultural thing.  American cops armed with rifles, even 1903 Springfields, the equal of the Indian SMLE/Ishapore, would've stepped up to the plate. 

I'd put money on it.

taurusowner

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 08:58:28 PM »
Just look at the Miami and North Hollywood shootouts.  American cops in those situations most definitely returned fire.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 09:46:12 PM »
You know that after hurricane Andrew, they sent the national guard out in Miami with ARs and no ammo, right?

after 9/11 they had nat guard  SFO with M16's with no mags no ammo!, at the bridges too!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 10:02:37 PM »

Why wouldn't this cause local bad-guys of the most silly variety to catch some Guardsman who got isolated from his guys at gunpoint, take his rifle and leave?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:16 AM »

Why wouldn't this cause local bad-guys of the most silly variety to catch some Guardsman who got isolated from his guys at gunpoint, take his rifle and leave?

Bad guys!?  It was very tempting indeed!!!
I sometimes saw the nat gaurdsmen  sleeping.
I thought about relieving them of some weapons when I saw that, I guess I only think about being a bad guy.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 11:54:43 AM »
Just look at the Miami and North Hollywood shootouts.  American cops in those situations most definitely returned fire.

Exactly.  Even though they were obviously undergunned they stood their ground and fought.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:34 AM »
Bad guys!?  It was very tempting indeed!!!
I sometimes saw the nat gaurdsmen  sleeping.
I thought about relieving them of some weapons when I saw that, I guess I only think about being a bad guy.

Apparently  - from my reading of Russian website - Russian specops and recon troops will often advance on the positions of other, lower-grade Russian troops and steal arms from them to show their superiority/demonstrate holes in defense/training/pranks. Perhaps America needs  a unit that does that?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 03:32:23 AM »
Apparently  - from my reading of Russian website - Russian specops and recon troops will often advance on the positions of other, lower-grade Russian troops and steal arms from them to show their superiority/demonstrate holes in defense/training/pranks. Perhaps America needs  a unit that does that?

IIRC we do.  Or did.  Seems I heard they pissed someone off real bad, may have been disbanded.

This is like sixth hand info, though, so I can't say that it's necessarily accurate.  Perhaps some of the .mil types here will know more.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 09:24:52 AM »
one of the more interesting things I have read about that shootout is that not a single shot was fired by a female cop in that incident, despite dozens of them being in on it.

not really sure why, or if it is significant, but an interesting factoid.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »
IIRC we do.  Or did.  Seems I heard they pissed someone off real bad, may have been disbanded.

This is like sixth hand info, though, so I can't say that it's necessarily accurate.  Perhaps some of the .mil types here will know more.

Commander Richard Marcinko wrote of this in his book describing his career as a SEAL.  His team was charged with breaking into high-security installations to demonstrate problems with the security arrangements.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2008, 10:31:27 AM »
I've wondered if part of the reason they didn't fire back might have been that they were Hindu. I'm not an expert on the religion, but from what I understand, it advocates non-violence and a dislike for killing anything. The cops may not have been Hindus, and I may not understand the religion well enough, but I've wondered if that was at least part of the reason they wouldn't fight back.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2008, 10:38:26 AM »
taking shots at a guy moving through a crowd sucks too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

ctdonath

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2008, 11:18:16 AM »
An oft-repeated aphorism is training is "you will do what you were trained to do".

Seems the police (the few who were armed) were trained to only engage targets they are explicitly told to, and to account for every piece of brass ejected. Ergo, they waited for directives that wouldn't come, and were of the mindset that every round fired was a hassle to be avoided if at all possible - so, presented with a life-threatening target, they didn't shoot. They did exactly what they were trained to: nothing, pending orders.
Now reading: The Unthinkable, The Age of Innocence
Recently read: 1491

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2008, 07:17:38 PM »
They did exactly what they were trained to: nothing, pending orders.

I think you nailed it!