Author Topic: VASIMR Rocket: 39 days to Mars  (Read 7204 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
VASIMR Rocket: 39 days to Mars
« on: February 27, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.85b9e2174ee33f025b89dd95cee83b08.101&show_article=1

A journey from Earth to Mars could soon take just 39 days, cutting current travel time nearly six times, a rocket scientist who has the ear of the US space agency NASA has said.

Former astronaut Franklin Chang-Diaz, a physicist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, says reaching the Red Planet could be dramatically quicker using his high-tech VASIMR rocket -- now on track for lift-off after decades of development.

The Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket -- to give its full name -- is quick becoming a centerpiece of NASA's future strategy as it looks to private firms to help meet the astronomical costs of space exploration.

NASA, still reeling from a political decision to cancel its Constellation program that would have returned a human to the moon by the end of the decade, has called on firms to provide new technology to power rovers or even future manned missions.

Never heard of this rocket before.

What is a Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: VASIMR Rocket: 39 days to Mars
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »
Well, if wikipedia is to be trusted, it is:

"an electro-magnetic thruster for spacecraft propulsion. It uses radio waves to ionize and heat a propellant and magnetic fields to accelerate the resulting plasma to generate thrust."
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
How is this going to help NASA fight Global WarmingTM?

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
How is this going to help NASA fight Global WarmingTM?
Silly, we'll export it to Mars of course =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

PTK

• friends
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 04:29:07 PM »
Zing.  =D
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 05:08:20 PM »
I love how the climate alarmist tools that print National Geographic had a whole bit on how we could populate Mars. A key piece of their plan was factories that spewed tons of greenhouse gases into the martian sky in order to build an atmosphere over time.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:13:01 PM »
What is a Variable Specific Impulse Magnetoplasma Rocket?

Quiet, too.  I doubt if our SONAR could even pick it up  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:45:19 PM »
Quiet, too.  I doubt if our SONAR could even pick it up  :lol:

Even if it did, they might think it was whales or something.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
A key piece of their plan was factories that spewed tons of greenhouse gases into the martian sky in order to build an atmosphere over time.
This made me think of Total Recall.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:58:52 PM »
I thought that Mars was supposed to be too small to hold a significant atmosphere? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »
Get yourself to Mars.
Get yourself to Mars.
Get yourself to Mars.
Get yourself to Mars.
Get yourself to Mars.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:09 PM »
Even if it did, they might think it was whales or something.

Or some kind of seismic anomaly.  Anything but a VASIMR rocket  :laugh:

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
I love how the climate alarmist tools that print National Geographic had a whole bit on how we could populate Mars. A key piece of their plan was factories that spewed tons of greenhouse gases into the martian sky in order to build an atmosphere over time.

Well... That plan uses hydroflourocarbons. They're thousands of times more effective than CO2 as a greenhouse gas. So that actually has a chance of working.
I promise not to duck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 11:08:16 PM »
I thought that Mars was supposed to be too small to hold a significant atmosphere? 

Size is irrelevant, lack of a liquid core to maintain a planetary magnetic field to deflect the solar wind is what killed the atmosphere.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast31jan_1.htm

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 11:40:18 PM »
Size is irrelevant, lack of a liquid core to maintain a planetary magnetic field to deflect the solar wind is what killed the atmosphere.

True, but it would take millions of years if we built it up again. A couple chunks of comet every few centuries would make up for the losses.
I promise not to duck.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 03:36:19 AM »
A few nuclear or fusion satellites in orbit could make up for Mars weak magnetic field.

The purpose of the fluorocarbons is to get it hot enough that CO2 does not freeze at the poles, which will then help thicken the atmosphere and get more water vapor in the air, which will warm the planet, from there lichen and other hardy forms of life can do the rest. A few statites set behind Mars to reflect light onto key parts of the planet would help some more. Soon it would be pretty livable on the surface.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 05:06:35 AM »
A few nuclear or fusion satellites in orbit could make up for Mars weak magnetic field.

The purpose of the fluorocarbons is to get it hot enough that CO2 does not freeze at the poles, which will then help thicken the atmosphere and get more water vapor in the air, which will warm the planet, from there lichen and other hardy forms of life can do the rest. A few statites set behind Mars to reflect light onto key parts of the planet would help some more. Soon it would be pretty livable on the surface.

"Soon", in this case being less than 10,000 years after beginning the terraforming.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 08:57:39 AM »
climate alarmist tools that print National Geographic

actually the guys at Quad in West Virginia are pretty even keeled
 =D
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:01:24 AM »
So this is a type of ion thruster engine, which means it can only be used in space.  They will still need to boost the payload from ground to orbit using another method.

The 39 day figure must be by using continuous and accelerating thrust all the way from Earth to Mars orbit insertion.  I see that the plans are for the engine to be powered via a solar array.  Sounds very economical.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
Or some kind of seismic anomaly.  Anything but a VASIMR rocket  :laugh:

But what if somebody sabotages the flux capacitor?  :O

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2010, 01:37:21 PM »

In addition to the problem of Mars not maintaining a steady axis. With no moon large enough to stabilize it, its axis varies between 13 to 40 degrees, which would cause wild climate swings pretty much rendering it relatively  uninhabitable. The Earth varies only 2.5 degrees over millions of years and is theorized to have caused total climate shifts.

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:26:17 PM »
We'll have to get Sean Connery to explain that "some things in there don't react well to bullets", and turn Alec Balwin loose with a 1911 to shoot the capacitor saboteur.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 03:51:56 AM »
   I see that the plans are for the engine to be powered via a solar array.  Sounds very economical.

Given the power requirements of ion engines, I would think it would have to be one hell of a large array, or a fission plant.  Has there been a power breakthrough with this engine?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
Given the power requirements of ion engines, I would think it would have to be one hell of a large array, or a fission plant.  Has there been a power breakthrough with this engine?

Rocket engines have two overall factors Isp - Specific Impulse, and total thrust.

Engines with a high Isp, that is they squirt out the propellant really really fast and are incredibly efficient, still may have a low overall thrust. An example of this being an ion engine. The advantage being that they're very efficient, and can operate for very long periods of time, building up acceleration like compound interest in a bank account.

Other chemical rockets, like a solid or liquid fueled  booster, the Space Shuttle, etc. may have an incredibly high thrust, but a poor Isp.

The analogy could be like comparing a garden hose with a spray nozzle vs. a river. The garden hose has a high Isp, but not lots of thrust. The river has lots of thrust, but a low Isp. Or if you prefer an electrical analogy, think of the difference between voltage and amperage.

VASIMR has some attributes of both. It accelerates the gas/plasma to the best Isp ever achieved, but also has a somewhat higher thrust than ion engines. Kind of like a fireman's hose. An extremely high Isp, but a fair amount of thrust too. And the V in VASIMR stands for "Variable", so it can temporarily generate more thrust forsaking Isp, and can also go into "cruise mode" where the Isp is maximized but thrust is less.

VASIMR still takes a ton of electricity to operate, and IMO a fission reactor would be the best choice, especially for Mars, where solar becomes marginal in terms of efficiency, but it's at least got a lot of bang for the buck, or Watt.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:11:14 AM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 09:01:05 AM »
a fission reactor would be the best

Except that would be "noooculer", and we can't have that.   :facepalm:
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.