Author Topic: Dealing with an insurance company after a wreck...  (Read 944 times)

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Dealing with an insurance company after a wreck...
« on: January 28, 2006, 06:40:44 PM »
Howdy all!

A couple of weeks ago I was in a car accident in which I was not at fault whatsoever (older fellow tried to cross four lanes from a standstill in a left turn lane, coming right out in front of me). Dealing with his insurance company has been hellish to say the least, and the agent I was assigned to is a spawn of lucifer. The accident was about two weeks ago, and I've had to have a rental car since then. I'm having a lot of trouble affording, however, the $15 a day insurance that I have to purchase from enterprise, since I didnt' have full coverage on my truck that I could extend to the rental.

I argued with the ins. agent about them paying for it but she regurgitates the mantra that they don't pay for coverage I didn't have before the wreck. What I can't comprehend then is how I can be expected to bear what is for me an extreme out of pocket expense when her client is the only reason I'm in a rental car to begin with.

This being my first and hopefully last car accident, does anyone know if this is the norm regarding the rental insurance? It just seems like an incredibly unholy policy.

I've prayed to every god I've ever heard of that she gets hit by a bus soon and has to deal with an insurance agent as bad as she is. Karma works too slowly.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

chaim

• friend
    • http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 07:10:46 PM »
When I was an insurance adjuster we would pay for the rental insurance ONLY when the person did NOT have full coverage.  If you had insurance that provided coverage for a rental we wouldn't pay as it wasn't necessary, if you did not have insurance coverage for the rental and if we owed a rental we would pay for the insurance coverage.  Company policy and state laws may be different in your case, but if I was you I wouldn't deal with that adjuster but would demand to speak to his/her supervisor and keep going up the chain until I found someone who would help me.
Come visit my MSN Group: Taurus Talk
http://groups.msn.com/TaurusTalk/_whatsnew.msnw

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 07:11:05 PM »
Its the norm.  If you sustained any injury whatsoever from the wreck, get a lawyer.  Rest assured the ins. co. will get off the pot and pay what you're deserved.  Sometimes all it takes is a letter from an Atty. to get the grease flowing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 07:31:56 PM »
Rest assured the ins. co. will get off the pot and pay what you're deserved.  Sometimes all it takes is a letter from an Atty. to get the grease flowing.
I've achieved good results by a.) threatening to write to the state insurance commissioner, and b.) writing to the state insurance commissioner.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 08:03:58 PM »
Quote from: Standing Wolf
Rest assured the ins. co. will get off the pot and pay what you're deserved.  Sometimes all it takes is a letter from an Atty. to get the grease flowing.
I've achieved good results by a.) threatening to write to the state insurance commissioner, and b.) writing to the state insurance commissioner.
I like the sound of that one. Couldn't hurt to write a letter. I also think I'll be taking it up with her supervisor as soon as possible, now that I've got some comfort that it isn't necessarily an accepted practice.

My own insurance company, which was also particularly useless and problem causing, said the company in question almost certainly would not pay the rental insurance, which had led me to believe it was commonplace to deny rental ins. payment, at least locally.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 08:09:48 PM »
In got good response out of a medical insurance company by threatening to talk to the "various media" about the situation...
Avoid cliches like the plague!