Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Basic question

<< < (3/3)

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: makattak on December 06, 2018, 10:44:54 AM ---ON that note. My wife, when we were first married, used the steamer without putting any water in the bottom. The stainless steel was BLACK with a brand from the coil electric burners that she had been using.

We actually didn't throw the pan out. (Why, I can't remember) and tried to clean it. (I'm guessing it was to convince my wife she didn't ruin the pan.) We didn't use it a lot... ok, at all for a while...

And it healed itself. 10 years later? There's the slight remnant of the "brand" from the coils. Otherwise, it looks the same as the other stainless pans. I was amazed when it "healed" itself.

--- End quote ---

I did that to a stainless steel stock pot a few years ago. I caught it well before a half hour had gone by, though. But it was still badly discolored. I scrubbed the bottom with a scoring powder called "Barkeeper's Friend," which I think is oxalic acid based. It cleaned it up very nicely.

MillCreek:
^^^Cameo stainless steel/aluminum cleaner is my go-to for cleaning tarnished or discolored stainless steel cookware with BKF running second. The Cameo active ingredient is sulfamic acid and I first started using it many years ago to clean my stainless steel homebrewing equipment.

Ben:
Ha ha. About an hour after I  clicked on Mike's link, the Google spy program stuck this article in my newsfeed:

https://nypost.com/2018/12/05/nonstick-frying-pans-can-make-your-penis-smaller-study-says/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version