Author Topic: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?  (Read 33593 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Should atheists, agnostics, etc. be allowed to have children?
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2007, 06:07:37 PM »
In any case, to hear suggested that the US picked the wrong side and should have allied with Hitler's Germany is distressing, to say the least.  That wasn't a choice on the table (except among the lunatic fringe).

Hardly lunatic.  The Soviet Union ended up killing 20-80 million civilians and enslaving a large percentage of the planet.  And we faught a not-war with them for nearly fifty years.  Many people pre-WWII saw the USSR as the greater evil.  If you just counted bodies, they'd be right. 

Personally, if I was FDR, I could have waited to see which country won, and then crushed the victor.  I suppose Pearl Harbor killed that idea.  Would have been better in the long run.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
I nowhere suggested that we tabulate statistics on which holy book has more facts.

and earlier...

Why can't you identify one religion as being more true or correct than others?   Wouldn't that be a rather straight-forward matter of seeing which religion most adhered to reality or which set of scriptures was the more factually correct?  Why can't you do that?

Are you trolling or what?

Ya know, ya could just ask what I meant.  I'm going to put this more concretely.  Let's compare the Book of Mormon, and other LDS scripture, with the Bible.  Which is more accurate?  While we would have a hard time proving things like "x is a sin," we can evaluate both books in terms of fact.  Which is more consistent with the historical and archaeological evidence?  Which is better supported by manuscript evidence?  This is not a matter of compiling a list of true facts in each book.  Nor am I claiming that every word of the Bible is true only because of the vastly superior manuscript evidence and archaeological support.  Rather, it is the case that when one book is wildly at variance with known fact, and the other is generally in line with the facts, we decide that one book is more correct than the other.  If a religion is bounded by and described by these books, we can likewise conclude that one religion is more correct than the other. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2007, 06:25:40 PM »
I nowhere suggested that we tabulate statistics on which holy book has more facts.

and earlier...

Why can't you identify one religion as being more true or correct than others?   Wouldn't that be a rather straight-forward matter of seeing which religion most adhered to reality or which set of scriptures was the more factually correct?  Why can't you do that?

Are you trolling or what?

Ya know, ya could just ask what I meant.  I'm going to put this more concretely.  Let's compare the Book of Mormon, and other LDS scripture, with the Bible.  Which is more accurate?  While we would have a hard time proving things like "x is a sin," we can evaluate both books in terms of fact.  Which is more consistent with the historical and archaeological evidence?  Which is better supported by manuscript evidence?  This is not a matter of compiling a list of true facts in each book.  Nor am I claiming that every word of the Bible is true only because of the vastly superior manuscript evidence and archaeological support.  Rather, it is the case that when one book is wildly at variance with known fact, and the other is generally in line with the facts, we decide that one book is more correct than the other. If a religion is bounded by and described by these books, we can likewise conclude that one religion is more correct than the other.

rolleyes... no... no... musn't... I tired of participating in online "my religion is better than your religion"-type debates several years ago. Just too pointless.

RandyC

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2007, 04:43:24 AM »
What an odd subject.  The arguments are pretty entertaining though.  I wouldn't have thought the argument would have ended up claiming the moral high rode over body counts. grin

My daughter's father-in-law said religion has killed more people than Cecil B. DeMille.  There's some truth to that.  I would probably qualify that to say "in the name of" religion.

Power corrupts and organized religion through history has proven not to  be exempt from that.

And to the original question: leave 'em the heck alone.  Sure they should breed.  They've given us some of the greatest scientific advances of our time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2007, 05:38:19 AM »
"... no... no... musn't... I tired of participating in online "my religion is better than your religion"-type debates several years ago. Just too pointless."

Yeah? Well, my God can beat up your God with one halo tied behind his back!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2007, 06:26:03 AM »
Yeah? Well, my God can beat up your God with one halo tied behind his back!
laugh angel

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2007, 07:21:34 AM »
They've given us some of the greatest scientific advances of our time.
They have?

MattC

• friend
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2007, 10:02:56 AM »
They have.  Look up Einstein's comments on religion (hint: his closest sympathy with religion was an aesthetic delight in the complexities of the universe).  Darwin in his autobiography states that he is an agnostic.  Bill Gates, regardless of what you think of Microsoft, is agnostic, and Steve Jobs is atheist.  I think everyone reading this on their computer screen would say those two have had a huge role in some of the greatest scientific advances of our time.

Now, to be fair, there are a great number of religious people who have improved our lives through science as well.  But please do not make the mistake of implying that intelligence and worth to other humans is dependent on theism.

onions!

« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2007, 10:31:09 AM »
please do not make the mistake of implying that intelligence and worth to other humans is dependent on theism.

Hallleeeeeluuuuulah!
>insert bowing smiley here<

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2007, 11:12:52 AM »
Scapegoat, I just don't understand your concept of judging religions by historical accuracy.  It's driving me up a wall that I don't understand it.  But I don't.
If I write a "religious" tome with more historical accuracy than the New Testament, will you accept it and bow down to the God that I propose?  And how do you feel about the Old Testament?

A while back I discovered the following.  The 10 videos total 15-20 hours, so this isn't going to be immediately productive, but I would encourage everyone to get through them eventually.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=beyond+belief+2006

highlights (my personal judgement) include:
  • Neil Tyson's talk at the beginning of the video #2
  • Carolyn Porco's presentation at the end of video #3 (starting at 1:20)
  • V.S. Ramachandran's talk at about 0:39 into video #4
  • Sam Harris' brief comments at about 1:36 into video #4
  • Ayn Druyan's response to some idiot's confusion over religion and science as searches for truth vs declarations of truth (1:41 in video #4
  • Loyal Rue's talk at 0:47 of video #6 (just after some great comments by Scott Atran, see below)
  • video #8, beginning to 0:30
  • unknown (ucsd dept of medicine) at around 1:47:20 in video #9, and around 0:30:30 in video #10  - absolutely hilarious

And a few of my observations that I don't have an interest in backing up, but which I feel confident in based on my not-insignficant experience exploring science:
- Jo*an Roughgarden has personal problems, and is willing to derail the conference repeatedly to spout her religious biases and misrepresentations of modern evolutionary biology.
- Charles Harper from the Templeton Foundation is the Devil...  metaphorically, of course, but I think the metaphor holds.  He is very clever in his rhetoric, but he ignores the central problem with combining religion and scientific reasoning.  As Neil Tyson said, people who tend to appeal to divine power have no place in the lab.  If a religious person wants to lock away the religious part of himself while doing science, that could work to a degree.  However, as the computational neuroscientist pointed out in one of the videos, many scientific breakthroughs occur at odd times, and if someone is being religious at those times, he may overlook the scientific significance of those thoughts.

However, lest anyone think I hate all the detractors to the Dawkins/Harris camp, I would say that Scott Atran is very smart, and that while I'm not sure of his motives or ultimate suggestions of how to deal with the irrationality of religion, he almost always makes good points that were unwisely dismissed by the other attendees.  See for instance video #4 at 0:42:30, and video #7 at 1:41:15.

What strikes me the most is that the kind of people I react very negatively to, namely that political-scientist/neuroscientist that Druyan demolished, and Charles Harper from Templeton, and Joan Roughgarden (from Stanford), are very clearly dual believers and scientists.  In trying to present both sides of themselves at once in a conference like that (or anywhere else), they come across to me as being just short of incomprehensible.  To me, that's the best response to Harper's claim that religion and science don't conflict.  When the best dual-advocates are as miserable as those three (including Harper himself) are, it's worth considering that maybe the two concepts really are incompatible.

I have no problem with people who want to lock up their religion most of the time, and devote an hour or two nightly, or on weekends, to observing it.  But that's fundamentally not what religion is about.  Religions tend to require you to live religion, which inherently provokes conflict with science, with rational public and foreign policy, and therefore with people like me.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #160 on: April 25, 2007, 11:46:52 AM »
tyme, I was responding to this:

Quote from: Kyle
I understand your religion as one out of many, all equaly interesting, but no more "correct" or "true" than any other.

I have not claimed that anyone must believe in my religion because the Bible has more facts.  I'm only saying that the above quotation goes too far.  Regardless of which religion you do or don't believe in, you'd have to say that some religions don't get very far on the reality meter, and some get at least a little farther. 

If you read two books, or interviewed two witnesses, and if one is full of baloney and the other one's facts check out (or at least for the most part), then you would conclude that one book or one person is more correct.  It doesn't mean you believe everything you read or hear from source number two, but it does mean that you find one to be more credible than the other. 

I'll try to get to the material you linked to.

Now, to be fair, there are a great number of religious people who have improved our lives through science as well.  But please do not make the mistake of implying that intelligence and worth to other humans is dependent on theism.

Matt, I don't know who you're responding to with that last bit, but at least you're keeping things in perspective.  However, I must say I've always heard that Bill Gates is a puppy-eating, baby-sacrificing Satanist.   smiley

tmg19103

« Reply #161 on: April 26, 2007, 07:01:40 AM »
I don't know. Maybe it is a good thing Catholic priests can't marry given all the children they have molested - and even if the numbers are overblown, there certainly are a lot of documented cases. How about the Rabbi I just saw on MSNBC's "To Catch a Predator" who came to a house to have sex with a 12 year old boy? How about Rabbi Fred Neulander outside my hometown of Philly who killed his wife so he could marry a gentile? How about that married Evangelical minister (can't remember his name) who just got busted with a homosexual prostitute? How about Jimmy Swaggert and a female prostitute?

It certainly does not seem as if athiests and agnostics have cornered the market on immorality. However, I do believe that for a person to have a foundation of morality, it comes primarily from two places - parents and school. What your parents teach you and what you are taught in school have huge impacts on children. Interesting to note that in public schools in this country, religion is not taught, so any religious upbringing is left to the parents.

I myself am agnostic - however I was raised by devout Catholic parents (and thankfully never molested by a priest). I do believe in the Judeo/Christian tenants of morality that I was raised by. I don't have children, but my sister who is also now agnostic has three kids. They were baptised under blackmail - no baptism and no college fund from the grandparents of $60k each kid which will no doubt cover college and more in all the years the money compounds interest. I find those interesting values on behalf of my religious parents.

As for my sister's kids, they are good, decent children, but then they are being raised with the same Judeo/Christian ethics my agnostic sister was raised under - even if they are not part of an organized religion. Now, how will my sister's children raise their children? One would hope with the same Judeo/Christian ethics.

However, do you have to be part of a religion to live by the tenants that allow you to be a decent, caring, giving, contributing and law-abiding person? Without religion how would people behave? It is a good question. There really is no vacuum to examine this. Hitler and Stalin denounced religion to their people, but their people behaved under the iron thumb of government rule. Hitler certainly was a madman and mass murderer who was an athiest (I believe), but he also believed in laws and an orderly society for those who were part of his master race.

I do think that religion, way back when, created a fabric that helped form society into a more well mannered group. Also realize that the Judeo Christian philosophy is relatively new. How about the Greeks and the Romans? We hear about their orgies and boy love, but how did they maintain realtively civilized societies that had laws, rules and regulations? Perhaps (and I hope not) it is just a government of leaders who wish for order and maintain it through laws and force. Perhaps, even without religion or government, the human spirit, with all of its faults, is inherently good. Perhaps it is relgion and government that are the root of all evil - and good. Religious and government leaders have tremndous power that can be used for good or evil, and has been used for both on an historical basis. One man alone, with or without religion could be good or bad. Perhaps there is no answer to this question?

Fom a legal and constitutional standpoint, to answer the original question, no doubt athiests and agnostics can marry and have children. From a moral standpoint in regards to athiests and agnostics having children, my question would be, whose morality are we talking about and what gives that morality the right to judge?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #162 on: April 26, 2007, 07:37:24 AM »
Lord knows that NO married man or woman has ever molested a child...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #163 on: April 26, 2007, 07:47:31 AM »
Where is that Bogie guy who's always trying to impose his religion on the rest of us?  Let's get him.

Got to hand it to him on the troll techniques, though.  He set the bait, and then just sat back and watched the confusion and recrimination. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #164 on: April 26, 2007, 07:54:43 AM »
do you have to be part of a religion to live by the tenants that allow you to be a decent, caring, giving, contributing and law-abiding person?
No
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

onions!

« Reply #165 on: April 26, 2007, 08:25:59 AM »

It certainly does not seem as if athiests and agnostics have cornered the market on immorality.

Geez,thanks. rolleyes

I myself am agnostic - however I was raised by devout Catholic parents (and thankfully never molested by a priest). I do believe in the Judeo/Christian tenants of morality that I was raised by. I don't have children, but my sister who is also now agnostic has three kids. They were baptised under blackmail - no baptism and no college fund from the grandparents of $60k each kid which will no doubt cover college and more in all the years the money compounds interest. I find those interesting values on behalf of my religious parents.

It actually reads more to me like your parents did what parents(& kids too) do all the time.They wanted something & so did your sister.They wanted it more.She blinked.

tmg19103

« Reply #166 on: April 26, 2007, 02:52:23 PM »
It actually reads more to me like your parents did what parents(& kids too) do all the time.They wanted something & so did your sister.They wanted it more.She blinked.

My parents wanted their grandchildren to follow their religious ideology by at least getting baptised. My sister did not go for it at first, until my parents threatened to withdrawal a free college education for the kids. I don't blame my sister for going through with it for the sake of her kids, but my question is if you have an ideology or a belief, shouldn't you want another person to either learn to accept it or come to believe in it on their own, as opposed to using blackmail to get it - or even shunning, internment, force or the threat of death as we have seen historically on a grander scale when it comes to following a particular ideology?

Yes, parents and children do this all the time. Does not make it right.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #167 on: June 21, 2014, 05:51:52 PM »
I still say no.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #168 on: June 21, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
I still say no.

Which leads us to the obvious question: Should necromancers be allowed to have children?

Seriously -- a 7-year old thread?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #170 on: June 21, 2014, 06:37:15 PM »
Who is doing this "allowing"?  --especially the enforcement part.  :police:

(I know it's an 8 y.o thread, I didn't resurrect it)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #171 on: June 21, 2014, 06:45:25 PM »
 [popcorn] [popcorn]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
« Reply #172 on: June 21, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
Interesting.
After taking a break for so long from this forum it saddens me to see so many founding members no longer active.Many for many years.

As to the thread title?What I believe is none of anyones business but mine.
jeff w

I like onions!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #173 on: June 21, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »
Which leads us to the obvious question: Should necromancers be allowed to have children?

I say no.

And in 7 years, I'll say no again.

=D
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #174 on: June 21, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
Dude.  You need a hobby, and thread necromancy doesn't count.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”