Author Topic: Dear sweet fluffy Jesus on a felt-covered pogo stick...  (Read 7100 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Dear sweet fluffy Jesus on a felt-covered pogo stick...
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:38 PM »
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Star Wars VII in 2015.

Say it ain't so. :facepalm:

<binks>Meesah gonna guess thisa gonna be bombad awful!</binks>
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Dear sweet fluffy Jesus on a felt-covered pogo stick...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »

Can't be any worse than Jar Jar Binks... or the awful "cleanup" additions done for the re-releases... or Greedo shooting first... or Ewoks... or Christian Haydensen...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:30:40 PM »
In my reality, only episodes 4-6 were made.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Can't be any worse than Jar Jar Binks...

GAH! How many times do I have to say that mentioning that name on APS is a ban-able offense!!!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
Maybe they could do Star Wars VII:  Attack of the Gungans

Then we could see an older luke and the rest of them fight back and slaughter all the Gungans.  That might be fun. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

erictank

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:39:57 PM »
http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Star Wars VII in 2015.

Let's be fair - they're doing pretty damn well with their Marvel properties, and their Pixar stuff has always been top-shelf (even if I didn't like the Cars movies myself). It's quite possible that they can manage Star Wars, which they've had a strong association with for YEARS, in the same sort of "Do your thing, and make it good" manner.

Cautiously optimistic here...

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:40:14 PM »
Given disney's typical iron hand of control, perhaps they will be able to keep Lucas at arms reach and make it good.  I want to see the Thrawn arc be made into a trilogy.  Maybe Peter Jackson or (fingers crossed) Kevin smith directing?  

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »
OK, if I were to admit this reality...only for a short time, mind you...I have a challenge for you all.

I will have none of this happy talk about Marvel & Jackson.

Think of what horrifying cross-overs are now possible!

I bet you can't help but think of one or two...

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43:52 PM »

Think of what horrifying cross-overs are now possible!

'Mater and Jar-Jar's Goofy Movie

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »
The next Disney Princess will be from Alderaan. :D

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 05:48:22 PM »
Are any of you worried that Disney will remove the Jedi and the Force from furture movies?  I mean, they have a reputation for taking religion out of all the stories they turn into movies.  

=D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:17 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 06:22:24 PM »
Imagine a world where Joss Whedon directs Episode 7.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »

Star Wars VII in 2015.

You know last time I checked you don't have to buy a ticket, rent a DVD, or even watch it on TV.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

That could be an interesting story.  Minnie dies tragically, giving birth to a small litter.  Rodent 1 and Rodent 2 get sent away to be raised by Donald Duck and Pluto. ....
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
Given disney's typical iron hand of control, perhaps they will be able to keep Lucas at arms reach and make it good.  I want to see the Thrawn arc be made into a trilogy.  Maybe Peter Jackson or (fingers crossed) Kevin smith directing?  

Now you're talking!.....
The next Disney Princess will be from Alderaan. :D

:D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:26 PM »
This seems appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ns1m_aXJa58

(Yes, it's the "Han Shot First" complaint for the umpteenth time)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 10:46:09 PM »
I'm in the cautiously hopeful group.  Loved the original trilogy.  Hated most of the next, even though it had such tremendous potential.  The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker is such a platground for the imagination.  Lucas apparently ran out of good creativity in the 80's, though, and gave us a bunch of crap.

What we've seen out of Disney in the recent past is a real drive towards excellence.  The Pixar films were by and large, awesome.  Great stories told well.  If this same mindset is applied to Star Wars, the possibilities are great.  And, I don't know what the actual contract said, but knowing how much of a control freak the Disney Empire is, I can't see Lucas having any say in anything they put out.

To borrow the title of Episode IV, there is "A New Hope."
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
"GAH! How many times do I have to say that mentioning that name on APS is a ban-able offense!!!"

Meesah say yousah too uptite, boss!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 11:00:20 PM »
I'm in the cautiously hopeful group.  Loved the original trilogy.  Hated most of the next, even though it had such tremendous potential.  The rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker is such a platground for the imagination.  Lucas apparently ran out of good creativity in the 80's, though, and gave us a bunch of crap.

What we've seen out of Disney in the recent past is a real drive towards excellence.  The Pixar films were by and large, awesome.  Great stories told well.  If this same mindset is applied to Star Wars, the possibilities are great.  And, I don't know what the actual contract said, but knowing how much of a control freak the Disney Empire is, I can't see Lucas having any say in anything they put out.

To borrow the title of Episode IV, there is "A New Hope."

There's a pretty good argument that Lucas's creativity only extends to coming up with good ideas, and he sucks at actually refining and executing them, and that it has always been so. The first two Episodes (IV and V), were good precisely because Lucas didn't have total control over them. He wasn't writer, director and executive producer, so there were people there who could tell him "no" and make it stick. Basically, he had some creative feedback that he had to listen to.

That started changing around Episode VI, which is how we wound up with Ewoks. By Episodes I-III, Lucas had total control over the project as writer, director and executive producer, which is why they sucked so hard.

Perhaps with Lucas taking a backseat Episode VII won't be so bad.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 11:12:57 PM »
There's a pretty good argument that Lucas's creativity only extends to coming up with good ideas, and he sucks at actually refining and executing them, and that it has always been so. The first two Episodes (IV and V), were good precisely because Lucas didn't have total control over them. He wasn't writer, director and executive producer, so there were people there who could tell him "no" and make it stick. Basically, he had some creative feedback that he had to listen to.

That started changing around Episode VI, which is how we wound up with Ewoks. By Episodes I-III, Lucas had total control over the project as writer, director and executive producer, which is why they sucked so hard.

Perhaps with Lucas taking a backseat Episode VII won't be so bad.

I pointed that out to my friend who told me about this. Of course I immediately noted that as a Disney production the likely-hood is high that the film will be oriented to an even younger audience than Episode 1 was.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 11:24:43 PM »
I pointed that out to my friend who told me about this. Of course I immediately noted that as a Disney production the likely-hood is high that the film will be oriented to an even younger audience than Episode 1 was.

Maybe, but as I've seen pointed out elsewhere Disney also owns the Marvel Comics franchise, and they've been pretty good about not doing that with the comic book movies so far.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:28:46 PM by Regolith »
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
Of course I immediately noted that as a Disney production the likely-hood is high that the film will be oriented to an even younger audience than Episode 1 was.

The Iron Man movie franchise is a Disney property, and they've not pandered to younger audiences with that. Though I suppose the temptation for them to do so with Star Wars may be higher.

Edit: Oops, Regolith beat me to it. Disney has done pretty well in segregating their properties to various age groups, rather than reducing everything to kiddie fodder. The question for this is what they're going to file Star Wars along with. In the little kids' file, or the teen+adult file.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 12:05:51 AM by Marnoot »

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 11:47:38 PM »
Target the 8-10 year old group, that way you should be able to get up to Star Wars 37 (or so) before they grow too old to continue watching. The you just start all over.

bob