Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillets  (Read 9109 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Cast Iron Skillets
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
I want to get another cast iron skillet. I have one that has served me well for many years, but has sloped, "low-walled" sides. I want to get another one with higher walls so I can put more stuff in it without spillover. In the 10" range.

My current one is a Lodge Logic, and I was going to just get another of that brand for $16 on Amazon, but I know a lot of folks here are into cast iron. Any recommendations on better brands or better deals? Though Lodge Logics come pre-seasoned, I really don't care about that. If it's pre-seasoned, fine. If not, I'm well acquainted with the cast iron seasoning procedure. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

birdman

• friend
Re: Cast Iron Skillets
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
We have the lodge skillet and their ditch oven, and they work great, no complaints.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »
Ive been pleased with Lodge.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 11:39:34 AM »
I'm a big fan of lodge. I have some other brands people have gotten me, but my favorites are the Lodge branded ones.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 11:51:07 AM »
Mine are mostly griswold or others, none newer than 50 years old, all bought at yard sales auctions or goodwill resale shops, none cost more than $5-10. Sounds like you want a chicken fryer with lid, in my opinion the most useful style.
I have enough for the kitchen, the camp box and a few extras.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 11:52:59 AM »
I've had one of these http://www.lodgemfg.com/seasoned-cast-iron/deep-skillets/chicken-fryer-with-iron-cover deep skillets for a long time and love it.

Doubles as a Dutch oven

"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »
+1 on the versatility of the chicken fryer.  But learn from my experience: when it is full of food, and has been simmering in the oven for a few hours, so it is extremely hot, do not think that you can lift it from the oven using only the frypan handle.  You will come very close to dropping it due to the weight and balance issues and will instinctively grab the helper handle with your bare hand.  Hilarity then follows.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 12:30:16 PM »
i'm glad this came up.  i have been wanting to get a good skillet, and i am tired of the nonstick crap getting in my food.  the only thing holding me back from castiron has been my wife being a clean freak, and she insists that we will have to scrub it everytime.  what is the recommended way for cleaning?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:49:25 PM »
the only thing holding me back from castiron has been my wife being a clean freak, and she insists that we will have to scrub it everytime.  what is the recommended way for cleaning?

NOW you've opened up a can of worms!  =D

My preferred method is simply rinsing in very hot water, using a plastic scraper a little bit if necessary, then drying with a paper towel. I put mine back on the stovetop, turn the burner on for a minute or so, then using another paper towel, rub a bit of canola oil around and I'm done.

Some people will say soap is bad, others say it makes no difference. For a really dirty one, or if something got burned in, I've used salt to scrub the pan (usually sea salt crystals as they seem to be a better abrasive than salt out of the Morton container). That generally means you have to re-season though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 12:52:55 PM »
will instinctively grab the helper handle with your bare hand

There is a reason we keep a pair of clean welding gloves in the kitchen.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 01:30:57 PM »
I would pretty much stick with Lodge.  Do get a lid that fits.  That is a very useful item.  The price of these skillets has really gone up in the last 10 years.  But then, I'm paying $2+ for a loaf of bread now.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »
I have an 8" pan I used that I just realized was a Lodge.  Never looked before.  It works better than any non-stick pan I ever used.  The 8" isn't too heavy either.

I just use some hot water and soap to clean it out.  Somebody is going to have to show me what "seasoning" is supposed to do.  I don't have much trouble with stuff sticking.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Seasoning is the coating of polymerized oil and fat that covers the iron and gives it the characteristic black color. (Raw cast iron is gray, not black.)

It prevents corrosion and provides the non-stick feature.

Overly aggressive cleaning will remove it, allowing rust and stuck food when cooking. You should just scrub it gently with warm water and a washrag or soft bristle brush until all the food is gone, but it's still oily. For paranoid germaphobes or neat-freaks, put it in a 350 degree oven for an hour or so. That will dry out the oil, baking it into the seasoning, and leave it more than sterile.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:01:42 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
I have an 8" pan I used that I just realized was a Lodge.  Never looked before.  It works better than any non-stick pan I ever used.  The 8" isn't too heavy either.

I just use some hot water and soap to clean it out.  Somebody is going to have to show me what "seasoning" is supposed to do.  I don't have much trouble with stuff sticking.

If what you are doing works for you, stick with it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 03:55:01 PM »
Garage sales and thrift shops are your friend.  An old Wagner or Griswold can be had for almost nothing, especially if it happens to be a little bit crusty (easily removed with oven cleaner).  Rusty can be a pain unless you own a blasting cabinet or have access to one.  Just remember to season it after media blasting.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
I buy mine at Goodwill or similar places. 

I did a prime rib roast for Christmas Day in my big Lodge skillet, and wouldn't trust that dish to any other piece of cookware.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 04:02:49 PM »
Seasoning is the coating of polymerized oil and fat that covers the iron and gives it the characteristic black color. (Raw cast iron is gray, not black.)

It prevents corrosion and provides the non-stick feature.

Overly aggressive cleaning will remove it, allowing rust and stuck food when cooking. You should just scrub it gently with warm water and a washrag or soft bristle brush until all the food is gone, but it's still oily. For paranoid germaphobes or neat-freaks, put it in a 350 degree oven for an hour or so. That will dry out the oil, baking it into the seasoning, and leave it more than sterile.
i always figured frying with oil would likely kill anything that moved anyway.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
Check out goodwill, you may find a good one there that just needs cleaning and reseasoning.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Cast Iron Skillets
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
A little soap will NOT hurt a cast iron pan that is well seasoned. Soaking it, leaving it dirty, etc. On the other hand, will.

I clean my established pans with a few drop of soap if particularly greasy. My grandfather used soap regardless. Never had a basic wash and rinse screw up a pan. Only time it has was when someone insisted on using and soaking without my knowledge.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »
I'm mostly sure Lodge is the only US made choice for new.

Look to estate and farm sales for the old good ones.

My favorite is a 10" that was my grand mother's and she got it from her mother. The only markings are a size number on the bottom. It is noticeably thicker and heavier than a new Lodge of the same size.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »
Goodwill, Garage Sales and then direct from Lodge in that order.  Reverse the order if you are in a hurry to get it.

G2, a pan well seasoned and not used to cremate food should be able to cleaned with just a paper towel.  A plastic scraper for some foods.  A little soap and water every now and then, but re-oil after. Actually easier to maintain/clean then other cookware.*

*- I've never used any of the *miracle* finished/coated cookware they advertise on late night TV.  Just cheap aluminum stuff, copper bottomed stuff, and Calphalon.  Cast Iron beats all.   
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 08:10:33 PM »
I believe RKL is correct.  Lodge is the sole remaining US manufacturer.

Cast iron gas certain thermal properties that make it superior for some things.  I just wouldn't try fried chicken in a $300 All Clad pan, but my $30 cast iron works great.  Not for everything, but a good cast iron skillet is a required tool.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:30 PM »
+1 on the versatility of the chicken fryer.  But learn from my experience: when it is full of food, and has been simmering in the oven for a few hours, so it is extremely hot, do not think that you can lift it from the oven using only the frypan handle.  You will come very close to dropping it due to the weight and balance issues and will instinctively grab the helper handle with your bare hand.  Hilarity then follows.

Something tells me you learned this from painful personal experience.
Look, tiny text!

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »
I have 2 Calphalons, 3 good Cuisinart stainless & 4 cast iron skillets. Also 2 cast iron dutch ovens, one of them a camper w/ legs & rimmed lid. All the cast iron is inherited; the smallest c-i skillet has a "3" on the handle, the rest are unmarked. I rarely use the Calphalon, stainless frequently. But some things you just have to use cast iron,like frying taters. When they get cruddy I use hot water and a stainless or copper scrubber, dry 'em then back into a 200 oven; add a little canola oil once they're dry.

Pre-heat the skillets, no matter the type. As Emeril says, use the knobs: don't set 'em to "weld". My little sis can absolutely ruin a cast iron skillet with one try! But they're always salvagable....
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 08:30:53 PM »
We have the lodge skillet and their ditch oven, and they work great, no complaints.

Is that new?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods