Author Topic: Jupiter whacked again!  (Read 1431 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Jupiter whacked again!
« on: July 21, 2009, 12:57:25 AM »
Jupiter was whacked again this morning, and on the anniversary of Shoemaker-Levy and the Apollo moon landings, no less.  Pretty neat stuff.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.cfm?release=2009-112

If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Nightfall

• friend
Re: Jupiter whacked again!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:49 AM »
Better them than us!
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 03:14:19 AM »
I'm no mathemagician but it seems to me that Jupiter is 317.8 times more likely to get hit with something than Earth.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 07:32:30 AM »
the odds are odd as the ellipticals focus on the sun
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:43 AM »
the odds are odd as the ellipticals focus on the sun

An eliptical by definition has two foci, so sayeth Mr. Kepler.  =) Aside from the sun, Jupiter masses just about everything else in the solar system combined, so even if it's not bringing asteroids or comets to their doom on the first pass, it sets up an orbital resonance that either ejects the offending flotsam and jetsam from the solar system entirely, or sets it up on an eventual collision course. It's the vacuum cleaner/dust mop of the Solar system.

Without Jupiter, Earth would get bombarded a lot more than it did/does.
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:02:44 AM »
Better them than us!

Heck yeah. Stupid Jovians and their stupid extra moons!  :mad:

:laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:06:07 AM »
Heck yeah. Stupid Jovians and their stupid extra moons!  :mad:

:laugh:

If the Jovians complain about it, the nice thing is in any debate, since they live on (in?) a gas-giant planet, you can just dismiss them as having nothing to stand on.
I promise not to duck.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:37 AM »
If the Jovians complain about it, the nice thing is in any debate, since they live on (in?) a gas-giant planet, you can just dismiss them as having nothing to stand on.

Booo!  Hiss!  That was a HORRIBLE pun!

Wish I'd thought of it first! =D 

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
the darkside of the moon is our close in safety shield
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:49:22 PM »
That is the greatest bad joke in the history of ever.  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams