Author Topic: If this is TRUE?  (Read 10770 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2006, 12:13:46 AM »
Call my posts in this thread a wake up call to the Catholic Church. They want to know why their parishes are dwindling? They can start with what I've posted here.

Edited to add...

Let me rephrase, that was an ALL BOY Catholic HS I went to. The only female on the premises was a lay teacher for Latin. Although they DID start accepting girls a few years after I left.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2006, 02:47:23 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
No fist, I think you are choosing to be offended because you do not agree. I can't help you with that.  Call my posts in this thread a wake up call to the Catholic Church. They want to know why their parishes are dwindling? They can start with what I've posted here.
As if they didn't know.   Getting offended is a leftist trait - I don't play that, homey.  Wink  OK, sure there are things that offend me, but I don't whine unneccesarily.  Blatant misunderstandings of the nature of reality offend me, but I don't whine about it, I just try to correct it.  Even when I'm as gentle as can be, some can't handle the criticism.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2006, 03:15:55 AM »
Call my posts in this thread a wake up call to the Catholic Church. They want to know why their parishes are dwindling? They can start with what I've posted here.

Edited to add...

Let me rephrase, that was an ALL BOY Catholic HS I went to. The only female on the premises was a lay teacher for Latin. Although they DID start accepting girls a few years after I left.
I am sure Benedict is an avid reader of APS and is taking your message to heart.

I am sorry you had a bad experience and are angry at your former teachers.  I don't know why that allows you to generalize to every religion.  If you want to throw "the Jews" in there because they have been fighting with Muslims, why not throw the Hindus in too since they have been fighting with the Muslims as well?  Add the Buddhists for self-immolation during Viet Nam.
But is this attitude any different from the person whose loved died from a gun shot wound and now hates all guns and all gun owners?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2006, 03:38:06 AM »
grampster, to my knowledge no christian denomination has repudiated the Old Testament (and I was caught up in that stuff for a long time Sad - but I finally "escaped" Wink ).  There are NT verses that affirm the OT: "I came not to do away with the law but to fulfill it"  ... "not a jot or tittle of the law shall pass away" ... etc (from memory)

So I still don't understand how christians reconcile the tale that Yahweh commanded the children of Israel to kill men, women, children of the Canaanites....?

My own personal experience from INSIDE christian churches is that they are indeed a nest of power and control from the leadership, using either/both implicit/explicit threats of divine condemnation if you don't do what they say.  And I have also seen personal issues become escalated into spiritual ones - IOW, using the hammer of the church to attack people you don't like for some petty reason.  Those of the congregation who would not join in on the "rock throwing" were then attacked themselves, even after they withdrew from the church.

I don't know what experiences Werewolf and 280+ have had, but I don't need to have anything to do with that sort of "stuff" (see, I'm being nice) anymore.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Stand_watie

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2006, 05:20:58 AM »
Quote from: Tallpine
grampster, to my knowledge no christian denomination has repudiated the Old Testament (and I was caught up in that stuff for a long time Sad - but I finally "escaped" Wink ).  There are NT verses that affirm the OT: "I came not to do away with the law but to fulfill it"  ... "not a jot or tittle of the law shall pass away" ... etc (from memory)

So I still don't understand how christians reconcile the tale that Yahweh commanded the children of Israel to kill men, women, children of the Canaanites....?.
Orthodox Christian's don't "repudiate" the Old Testament, they simply take it as God's instruction to a different group of people than themselves. Reconcile the tale with what? The notion that God might tell one group of people to do one thing once, and that thereon and forevermore every other group of people not be obligated to do that same thing to entirely other groups of people? Christianity does not require "total war" warfare (common sense might, but that is an aside).

An extrapolation of your logic.
_________
A. I believe that the U.S government is largely a benevolent government.

B. The U.S. Government dropped bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki that killed many innocents.

C. If I don't believe that it is my duty to bomb many innocents all the time, whenever I can, I am not benevolent myself.

D. Supporting Truman's decision to use nukes on many civilians means I have to support a  requirement on myself to use nukes on neighbors who play their stereo too loud.

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

grampster

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2006, 06:10:52 AM »
Tall,

The OT is history, a story of what happened.  To change it would be revisionism.  One can't change what happened.  There is a message in that book that is transcendent.  We all might not be able to grasp entirely the meaning. So what is the point of repudiation?  I think that was Christ's point with his remark regarding the fulfillment or not changing  it one "iota".  Take the message, look and see what the "cloud of witnesses" tell you.  I see people struggling with what they were told and what they knew along with acceptance and obedience in those days.  Asking for various and sundry ways to operate with acceptance and obedience.   The reader (student) can also observe what happened when some operated outside those constructs.  It told a story that no matter how hard a man tried to fulfill works to be justified, he always failed.  (Give me rules, give me priests, give me kings, give me prophets.  They alway got what they wanted, but for naught.)  It sspeaks of the futulity of man and the ramifications of the reality borne of that futility.  It was not pretty sometimes.

Regarding the righteous killings?  Who can say.  Who asks the Potter what He does with His clay?  Perhaps the message is that some folks get their just deserts for apostacy, and it ain't pretty.  Who know how low on the scale of barbarism those folks who were erradicated had got to.  Perhaps it may have been a blessing for women and children to be released from that horror.   Who knows?  Man has argued about that for a long time.

Personally, I don't attend a church.  Probably for much of the same reasons that you give.  I am fearful, perhaps that I'll get caught up in some of the futile behavior that sometimes exists when people mingle.  I am content (mostly) with what He said about "...where two or three of you gather together, so there am I".  There are a number of other references about how I may conduct myself after the blooming of my faith.  Some churches, I'm sure are places of proper worship and brother and sisterhood.  My church is the people that I associate with and the creation that abounds.  I am a Christian beleiver, in case that's not evident.  By the same token, each man has a personal choice to make regarding faith or the lack of it.  I am not in the position to make that choice for anyone other than me.  I could only hope that my behavior might cause someone to think a bit more about his position.

I just think we ought not to paint everyone with the same brush.  The point is that the Truth is out there and we are individually offered it.  It is what we do with it that makes all the difference in the world.   We are advised that faith is made alive by subsequent deeds.  That is why we are advised to "test the spirit".  Jesus also mentioned that families would be divided because of Him and that he did not bring peace, but also a sword.  Powers and Dominions will not go away easily in this world.

I found myself holding the "church" accountable for my misery in the past.  I got past that by deciding it wasn't the church, but some people who claimed affiliation with it, as well as me as well.  Their spirit was not of faith, and neither was mine, but of the world.  Once I grasped this, I felt a lot of bitterness leave me and began a (so far) 30 year journey that has had many ups and downs.  Why just this morning I awoke again, grateful for the opportunity to struggle with my faults once again.  I'll sometime lose, but I am edified by the inspired words of Paul the Apostle, who one would think would be above the fray, in his great letter to the Roman church.

As for the Roman Catholic Church.  It is made up of men and women.  Because the men and women are weak or actually evil, does not change the Rock that the church was founded upon.  We all need to separate the deeds of men from the Truth of Ages.  "Seek and you shall find."

Enough from me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2006, 07:11:22 AM »
"Reconcile the tale with what? The notion that God might tell one group of people to do one thing once...."

Well, if that purported incident is indicative of "God's" character, then I'll pass.  That's the same sort of thinking the jihadists have.  

To a somewhat lesser degree, the same sort of thinking, combined with exclusionism ("everyone who doesn't believe like I do is going to hell") leads to some pretty hateful and destructive behavior.  I've been there and seen it from the inside, where I tried without much success to dampen that behavior.  After 20+ yrs of that, I'm done and I've escaped Wink

I really don't care what anyone else believes, as long as they let me live in peace.

But after what I and my friends have been through, can you blame me for not having much appreciation for certain faiths?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

grampster

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »
Well, Tallpine, I'd peacefully hoist a glass with you anytime.  Smiley
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 07:52:11 AM »
Quote from: Tallpine
So I still don't understand how christians reconcile the tale that Yahweh commanded the children of Israel to kill men, women, children of the Canaanites....?
1. The Canaanites, (as well as the Carthaginians, and possibly the Minoans) worshiped a diety known as Baal, (with various spellings), often represented as a bull.
2. The Hebrew people had a continuing problem with the corrupting influence of Baal worship infiltrating their culture.  (Please reference the "golden calf" incident in the desert).
3.  Proper worship of Baal required the routine sacrifice of children - after which their bodies were ritually cremated.  The bodies were literally put on a satue of Baal with downward sloped arms, which then allowed the body to roll into the burn pit.
4.  The destruction of everyone was ordered by God to try to stamp out this hideous practicve, and keep it from further influencing His chosen people.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2006, 09:08:56 AM »
Quote from: richyoung
4.  The destruction of everyone was ordered by God to try to stamp out this hideous practicve, and keep it from further influencing His chosen people.
Sounds a lot like muslims killing the "infidels" to me...

280plus

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2006, 12:09:11 PM »
If you want to throw "the Jews" in there because they have been fighting with Muslims, why not throw the Hindus in too since they have been fighting with the Muslims as well?  Add the Buddhists for self-immolation during Viet Nam.
You know, all that DID cross my mind and I DID think about it. I was just picking the big three for examples. Remember in my original statement I expressed a disdain for ORGANIZED religion, I did not specify which religions. So heck ya, you can throw them in there too. Why do I generalize my issues over ALL religions? Well, for starters, one of God's commandments is "Thou shall not kill" yet they continue to do so and, refering once again to the original post in this thread, it ain't over yet. Like I said, if they all put down their bombs, rockets and guns and tried a little of the LOVE and UNDERSTANDING for their fellow man that they all profess it would go a LOOOONG way with me. Until then I should learn to stay out on religious discussions on the internet.

BTW, as a matter of clarification my feelings DO NOT stem from the actions of my teachers 35 years ago. That would be oversimplifying my standpoint. The straw that broke the camels back for ME was all the more RECENT allegations of sexual misconduct. Quite honestly I thought nothing of the incidents I was refering to until these allegations came out. THEN it was like, "Gee, now that I think about it there WAS something fishy going on way back then."

Let's get this straight (no pun intended) they took a vow of celibacy yet saw fit to have sex with naive young boys. If that's not posing I don't know what is. So I should just turn a blind eye and let all that go?

Let's talk collection plate for a minute. Why do I want to put money in a collection plate knowing full well that at least a portion of that money will go to pay off the sexual misconduct lawsuits?

How can I now leave a young boy alone with a priest and be 100% sure he won't be molested? They've fixed the problem? Yea, ok, how you going to prove THAT to me? How do I know there aren't more out there who managed to not get caught and are still active within the clergy? It goes way deeper than you may think. Guilt by association? Sorry, I have no choice.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2006, 12:48:55 PM »
Until then I should learn to stay out on religious discussions on the internet.
Me too - organized religion, bible thumpers, folks who can't seem to grasp the science of evolution, pro union fanatics - all are really HOT buttons for me.

I try but I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut on those particular topics.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

280plus

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2006, 12:56:24 PM »
Yup, me neither. But I do so at the risk of "offending" people with what I believe. I imagine I've lost a few friends with what I've said here because some people cannot accept that I might think differently than they do. Is it worth it? Well, if there's someone else out there that feels the same way but are not willing to express it because they're afraid of what others might think or say, at LEAST they know they're not alone. So I guess it is.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2006, 01:31:31 PM »
A lot of white supremacists like guns.  I guess everyone who likes guns is no good and all the gun organizations are corrupt and made up of white supremacists, Hell's Angels, flat-earthers, arsonists, murderers etc.  So eveyone needs to quit the NRA, GOA, JPFO (yup, them too), IDPA, IPSC, SASS, and their local clubs.  "Cause there's no difference.

I have noticed that while there are plenty of religiously committed people on this board, I have not seen a single one tell someone else they are going to hell for their beliefs.  I have not seen one show disrespect to someone because he believed differently, even unconventionally.  But I have seen a lot of venom from the non-traditional towards the traditional.  Wonder what to make of that.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Werewolf

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
 But I have seen a lot of venom from the non-traditional towards the traditional.  Wonder what to make of that.
People tend to see what the WANT to see.

Some see vitriol - I see straightforward blunt talk.

Beauty - as they say - is in the eye of the beholder.

Fight Me Online

grampster

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:09 PM »
I gotta go with the Rabbi' comments on this one.   I won't use words like vitriol and the like, but most of the suggestively aggressive points of view have come from folks who brush off traditional faith.  There seems to be some who would discount the beliefs of many because of the failure of a few.  I will allow for the fact that some of those comments are steeped in experiential realities.  But an example of the falacy of that thinking might be described in this way:  I had to jump out of the way of a reckless driver in a Corvette.  Therefore everyone who drives a Corvette is reckless.  Poor logic at best, a bad way to define one's position at worst.

To slander the earnest gentle faith of many because of the obvious failures of the  few, makes one wonder about what sort of foundation they stand on to be able to lob those accusations.  Perhaps "The pot calling the kettle black" is in fact an accurate descriptive adjective.

I have been an apologist for my Christian faith many times on this forum and THR and maybe even TFL.  I can't remember because I'm old and decrepit.  But I'll defy anyone to find words that I have expressed that have said "my way or the highway".

Stand_watie

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2006, 05:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Werewolf
... Even religions like Christianity ...not only do they kill people of other religions for having the audacity to pray to a GOD other than theirs they freakin' kill each other..
Hands up please all the Christians on this forum who have killed someone for praying to another God. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

Quote from: Stand_Watie
..you have something in common with Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, and Joseph Stalin. Practitioners of disdain of organized religion have been among the greatest perpetrators of mass murder in history.
Quote from: doczinn
That's the most blatant attempt at guilt by association that I've ever seen.
Now you've seen an even more blatant one. Unlike Werewolf's mine was intended to be a statement not[/u] about people who disdain organized religion, but about people who make ridiculous guilt by association sweeping generalizations.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2006, 02:01:29 AM »
Just bear in mind, nowhere in anything I said refered to your beliefs as "ridiculous", however, you have refered to mine as such. Still, I harbor no animosity. I'd lift a peaceful glass with ALL OF YOU, because I think that's what "the Being we all worship under different names" would want. I'm going to leave this thread now if it's ok.

If this is TRUE?
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2006, 02:44:53 AM »
"iota"

He didn't say that. The phrase came about 300 years later in the discussion about the nature of Jesus, where one side believed Jesus was the same substance as God but another group believed he was of a similar substance as God. The difference between the Greek words for the two is one "i(oto)."

/nerdiness

Smiley

Perd Hapley

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2006, 03:40:34 AM »
Matthew 5:18 (New King James Version)

For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot [iota] or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Jesus didn't say that?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2006, 05:00:42 AM »
If you all read your gospels you will see that Jesus made a lot of pointed criticisms of the "organized religion" of his day.  As far as I can tell, all of the same and more besides is true of the christian church in general today.  And I expect he would get the same treatment today.

Yeah, my experiences in several abusive churches over 20+ years has gotten me to the point where I will never darken the door of a church again.  When you're on the "inside", sometimes you can't see the abusive manipulation.  Maybe there are churches that are different, but I am just too stung by what happened the last time to ever try again.

Finally it got me to thinking that there must be something wrong with the foundation ... I once was blind(ed) but now I see Wink  

Mostly I just live by the Non-Agression Principle today.  I have to think that there is a Creator, because macro-evolution just doesn't make sense to me.  Neither do a lot of things in the bible, as I have previously mentioned.

No one here (to my recollection) has told me that I'm going to hell, but I know what some of you are thinking because that's the way I used to be taught as well.  I do sense that some of you are trying to bring me back, and I don't need that.  If you are happy with what you believe then that's fine with me.  I do wish some christians (in general) would be careful with their us vs them (believers/non-believers) attitudes.  Don't tell me that doesn't exist, because I saw and heard it constantly first hand.

Werewolf

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2006, 05:36:41 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
... Even religions like Christianity ...not only do they kill people of other religions for having the audacity to pray to a GOD other than theirs they freakin' kill each other..
Hands up please all the Christians on this forum who have killed someone for praying to another God. Anybody? Anybody? Bueller?
Ummmm.... The catholics killing protestants in N. Ireland. The persecution of the Mormons in the USA as they were driven west. Numerous religious wars in Europe. The destruction of the Knights Templar, the inquisition (which wasn't just focused on gypsies and jews, and muslims but any christian who was a free thinker). Need I go on? The list is long.

Of course no one on this forum has done any of those things and neither did I ever say they did.

Think big picture. Think MACRO not micro.

Fight Me Online

Stand_watie

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2006, 05:43:39 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Ummmm.... The catholics killing protestants in N. Ireland. The persecution of the Mormons in the USA as they were driven west. Numerous religious wars in Europe. The destruction of the Knights Templar, the inquisition (which wasn't just focused on gypsies and jews, and muslims but any christian who was a free thinker). Need I go on? The list is long.

Of course no one on this forum has done any of those things and neither did I ever say they did.

Think big picture. Think MACRO not micro.
Once again. Anybody on this forum? Anybody? Anybody?

Oh, wait some Christians are evil murders. Just exactly like some people who disdain organized religion are evil murderers. I guess that puts us both in exactly the same boat murderwise. Are we in the same boat in when it comes to sweeping generalizations?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Werewolf

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2006, 06:50:44 AM »
Quote from: grampster
I gotta go with the Rabbi' comments on this one.   I won't use words like vitriol and the like, but most of the suggestively aggressive points of view have come from folks who brush off traditional faith.  There seems to be some who would discount the beliefs of many because of the failure of a few.
The problem is when the few are men of power and they fail the impact they have is great not small and there are numerous examples throughout history of the few being men of power. At the micro level the individual adherent of the numerous organized religions more often than not do their best to live within the tenets of their faith but those individuals in general have little influence on the power structure of their faiths. Thus the few in power are the one's who make history not the many who are not. The concept of absolute power corrupting absolutely applies as much to religion as politics.  When the leaders of a religion fail the organization fails with it and it is the organization that gets the blame not the individual adherents.

I will allow for the fact that some of those comments are steeped in experiential realities.  But an example of the falacy of that thinking might be described in this way:  I had to jump out of the way of a reckless driver in a Corvette.  Therefore everyone who drives a Corvette is reckless.  Poor logic at best, a bad way to define one's position at worst.
If the discussion was about individual adherents in any given religion the analogy presented would be valid but we're not talking individuals we're talking organizations. It was the CATHOLIC church as an organization responsible for the inquisition. It was the Catholic Church that massacred Christians who didn't toe the line in Southern France in 1100's or there abouts. It is/was Catholics in N. Ireland and Protestants that killed each other over their religion. It is Islamists killing in the name of Allah spreading terror around the world. It was Christians that persecuted Mormons. It is Christians and Muslims that persecute Jews because of their religion. It is the organization, the group that does the evil. The individuals perpetrating it are doing so at the behest of the organization or if not at it's behest then in spite of it and because the organization turns a blind eye - an organization led by a man or a few men who have failed to follow the tenets of their faith make the organization responsible for the actions of its adherents.

Take a good man and put him with another good man and what do you get. You get two good men. Put them together with a strong willed evil man and you have a 3 man mob at worst and an evil organization at best. Group dynamics are far different than those of the individual. When talking organized religion it is group dynamics that control behavior not the morality and values of the individual. Leaders know that and use it to control the group.  Good men in groups can be made to do bad things by strong leaders. AND way too often bad men end up controlling groups. AGAIN - it is no less true of religious organizations than any other.

To slander the earnest gentle faith of many because of the obvious failures of the  few, makes one wonder about what sort of foundation they stand on to be able to lob those accusations.  Perhaps "The pot calling the kettle black" is in fact an accurate descriptive adjective.
No one slandered the earnest faith of the many! Arguments were made for the failure of the organizations to live up to their ideals because of the failures of the few IN POWER who controlled the actions of the many.

Stop reading between the lines. Stop taking every statement personally. Think MACRO not micro.

I have been an apologist for my Christian faith many times on this forum and THR and maybe even TFL.  I can't remember because I'm old and decrepit.  But I'll defy anyone to find words that I have expressed "my way or the highway".
Find anywhere in either my or 280's posts in this thread where we said words to the effect of "my way or the highway".

Why is straight forward, blunt speech written with confidence so threatening to so many? I don't get it now and never have.

ALL THAT SAID:

My main problem with organized religion is not the evil it occasionally perpetrates but  that it is an evolved and well developed social structure that has learned to MASTER it's adherents over the ages.

Religion tugs at the the emotional heart strings of the puppets that make up most of humanity instead of it's minds. It promises rewards and punishments none of which will happen in this lifetime but always in another be it reincarnation or an afterlife in heaven, hell, limbo or whatever.

Faith (which is little more than a positive spin way of saying wishfull thinking) is another method religion uses to control it's adherents.  Again faith appeals to the heart and not the mind.  

Why is appealing to the heart such a bad thing? Because in most cases evil can be undone by just thinking about the consequences of what evil desires. Evil knows that so it appeals to the hearts of people. Bypass the mind so folks don't get a chance to evaluate consequences. And - its easy because the rabble, the unwashed masses in general have neither the capacity nor the desire to THINK! Just pull an emotional heart string, gather 3 or more of them together, watch the show and enjoy the benefit. (think about anti-gunners and the techniques they use - do they appeal to their audience's hearts or their minds?)

The real world is a tough place to live and religion provides people hope that things can be better. But that hope is false HOPE in my opinion. People would be better off reacting to what happens in the known real world  than hoping for a reward in a maybe afterlife. In short RELIGION is based on a lot of maybes when it is the here and now reality that counts. (in places where life isn't so tough the power of religion is diminished)

I'd be the first to admit though that many folk need those assurances concerning the maybes. Why? Beats me though I imagine HOPE is a powerful thing for those with nothing else.

Personally I believe that in a world populated by rational people whose world view is grounded in reality religion would disappear. Unfortunately too many people's world view isn't grounded in reality; instead its grounded in wishful thinking filled with ought'a be's and thus religion will be a part of human culture for a long time to come.

I don't have to like but I can sure be a lonely voice in the wilderness against it if I want.

Fight Me Online

Perd Hapley

• friend
If this is TRUE?
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
No one slandered the earnest faith of the many!
Please read some of your own contributions to this thread, and explain how I might take them in a way that does not insult me and my beliefs as a Christian.

the organized religion weenies

All the god con's out there tryin' to preach, steal, f**k, murder, con and shout their way into heaven are a large part of what's wrong with humanity.

Organized religion is all about power and control and the shamans thereof have known it since the dawn of history. Even religions like Christianity who's foundation was built on the values of a man who said love thy brother, turn the other cheek and all that other impractical BS uses hate and fear to control it's adherents. And not only do they kill people of other religions for having the audacity to pray to a GOD other than theirs they freakin' kill each other

The world would be a way better place without organized religion. It has served it's purpose. Mankind has outgrown the need for it.

folks who believe in an anthropomorphized deity as most religions insist that their adherents do are already too far gone to deal in logic and reality.  [fistful say:  Although this doesn't actually apply to Christianity, would I be wrong in thinking you meant it to?]

organized religion, bible thumpers, folks who can't seem to grasp the science of evolution

Personally I believe that in a world populated by rational people whose world view is grounded in reality religion would disappear.

Faith (which is little more than a positive spin way of saying wishfull thinking) is another method religion uses to control it's adherents.
Are you not clearly saying that all religious beliefs are false, and that only the stupid or weak would believe them, and only the evil promote them?  But I guess I'm not logical or realistic, anyway, right?