Author Topic: Nikon P-223 scope?  (Read 11709 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Nikon P-223 scope?
« on: March 18, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-p-223-3x32-bdc-carbine-rifle-scope.html

Thoughts?

Make a decent optic for my budget AR build?
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Nikon P-223 scope?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
Not familiar with the particular scope but Nikon generally makes very nice scopes for the money

Sent via tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
Re: Nikon P-223 scope?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:56:21 AM »
I'm thinking i'd rather have a reflex sight. Some google searching lead me to a guy that really liked Mueller as a "budget" brand, and they have this

http://muelleroptics.com/mqs12233mb
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 11:09:16 AM »
Too many moving pieces on that Nikon for me to be comfortable with it.  Aside from X/Y adjustment, evidently the 400/600 yard BDC stadia are also adjustable.  For $150, that's too many variables and too little QC in the factory for me.

The reflex sight is going to limit your ability to identify your target in comparison to a low-fixed magnification optic.

If $150-$200 is the price range you want to stay inside, I'd suggest looking for a 3x or 4x fixed power scope with 30 to 35mm objective lens and a simple reticle.  The only option I might introduce would be an illuminated reticle.  Minimal moving parts so it should stay true once dialed in.

I've got a Leupold FX-II 4x33mm that I like a lot.  I've had it on my AR in the past, though now I have an ACOG on there instead.  The FX-II doesn't have an illuminated reticle, but it's sturdy and reliable.  That scope has been on Appleseed loaner .22's, my AR, my M14 and my Winchester 94 levergun.  Taken all the abuse from those platforms and is still true.  Opticsplanet thinks an FX-II is a $300 scope but I bet you can shop around and find it for less.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
The reflex sight has the advantage of a "both eyes open" aiming method, and very little obscuring of the surrounding area. Switching targets rapidly, and being able to identify a threat while looking at another target, are fairly important.

I'd love an acog. Had one in iraq, and it was perfect for my needs there. I realized after I turned it in that i was never actually signed for it.

Bummer.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
This looks interesting. Some good feedback on teh googlez.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_3X_Compact_Scope_PAC3X_p/pac3x.htm

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 11:36:38 AM »
That's neat.

Actually, bookmarking that.  I have 2 AR's... one is a flat-top with ACOG and I have a detachable carry handle for it, and the other is a White Oak competition service rifle upper.  I'd like the WOA to have some sort of alternate sight capability since the rear aperture on the competition iron sights is damned tiny.  I'd hate to have to rely on it as a "field" rifle.  Something that screws into the carry handle like that would be ideal to turn that rifle into something a bit more... practical, if the need ever came up.  Strip out the lead weights in the buttstock, screw on the optic and good to go.

How large is the donut reticle on that?  12 MOA?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 11:41:17 AM »
That's neat.

Actually, bookmarking that.  I have 2 AR's... one is a flat-top with ACOG and I have a detachable carry handle for it, and the other is a White Oak competition service rifle upper.  I'd like the WOA to have some sort of alternate sight capability since the rear aperture on the competition iron sights is damned tiny.  I'd hate to have to rely on it as a "field" rifle.  Something that screws into the carry handle like that would be ideal to turn that rifle into something a bit more... practical, if the need ever came up.  Strip out the lead weights in the buttstock, screw on the optic and good to go.

How large is the donut reticle on that?  12 MOA?

No idea... but I'm thinking the donut reticle might be decent for quick CQB type shots with both eyes open on my flat top.

Also, gratuitous pic of my current setup.

I also want to try 3-gun. Probably do terribly, but I wanna try it. Need to un-*expletive deleted*ck my shotgun though.

The idiotic things we do to our guns when we're young. SIGH.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:16 AM »
There were tiny hashmarks inside of it, too.

I'm wondering if it might be 19MOA (measured on the inside, and about 22MOA outside)... which would be a good size for sub-100 yard engagements and still leave plenty of room inside the donut for pre-calculated BDC markings from a 300 yard zero to (-3MOA) 400 to (-4MOA) 500 to (-4MOA) 600 yards.  300 to 600 would be -11MOA... bottom contact surface of the circle, possibly.
--Lysander Spooner

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:33 AM »
I'd love an ACOG.

Ultimately, though, the price differential = a lot of ammo
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »
a question for the optics savvy.   will a 1x reflex sight correct my vision like a 1x scope does?  as i am getting older i find the target at 100+ yds to be more of a blur than it used to be, and i don't have any reflex sight experience.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 12:51:25 PM »
a question for the optics savvy.   will a 1x reflex sight correct my vision like a 1x scope does?  as i am getting older i find the target at 100+ yds to be more of a blur than it used to be, and i don't have any reflex sight experience.

Seems to me a "reflex" sight is merely a holographic thingy projected over to your already crappy vision  >:D >:D [popcorn] [popcorn]

Doubt it's the same as a scope is, but maybe.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 01:52:48 PM »
I picked up a Nikon p-233 the other day for my current build. I haven't mounted it because I am waiting on a barrel to arrive. It appears to be very nice and solid. There really aren't that many moving parts, just that the scope adjustments are turrets instead of covered screws, you have to tug on the turret pretty good to get then to release to set your zero after you sight the scope in. I bought the 3-9x40 with free scope mounts.

I did get to play with the scope before I bought it at a Nikon display at the Iowa Deer Classic, it actually seemed clearer then the M-223. I'm only going to be shooting bobcats/coyotes to 150-200 yards and paper to 300 yards, so this scope seemed just fine. I'm also planning on shooting 55g bullets which this scope was designed for it.

All the online reviews of the M-223 are really good, and the bads one are either idiots or someone trying to compare them to a >$1000 scope.

When I get my rifle assembled I'll give a range report.

All my scopes are Burris or Nikon, I haven't really seen the difference between them and Leupold. You come out to the price range above of those brands and yes there is a difference in quality.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:57:08 PM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 01:56:43 PM »
Seems to me a "reflex" sight is merely a holographic thingy projected over to your already crappy vision  >:D >:D [popcorn] [popcorn]

Doubt it's the same as a scope is, but maybe.

that's a shame, as i like the sight picture.  i'm thinking glasses are in my near future anyway, as i find myself slowing to read street signs.  =(
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »
that's a shame, as i like the sight picture.  i'm thinking glasses are in my near future anyway, as i find myself slowing to read street signs.  =(

You could always get a 3x scope and adjusted to fit your vision.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 02:11:19 PM »
I had one of the Primary Arms 1-4X24 scopes on an AR and loved it.  Sold it a while back to try something else.  I am planning on going back and getting another though.  Keep it on 1X and it is similar to just using a red dot, but you can crank it up to 4X for longer range.  Just a thought.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 02:24:20 PM »
I had one of the Primary Arms 1-4X24 scopes on an AR and loved it.  Sold it a while back to try something else.  I am planning on going back and getting another though.  Keep it on 1X and it is similar to just using a red dot, but you can crank it up to 4X for longer range.  Just a thought.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_1_4X_24_Illuminated_Scope_PA14X_p/pa14x.htm

Bah.

Dammit

You *expletive deleted*ers

Making me make decisions

Long eye relief? how far forward can I mount it effectively?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 02:41:49 PM »
This is some feedback on the Nikon P-223.

Now, the bad; WOW.......the pictures of the crosshairs didn't do them justice....they're TINY.    Light starts going duskish you're not going to see squat.   The crosshairs are SUPER-thin, half the size of any my others, the hash-marks are the same.   Even the duplex portion of the crosshairs are thin, about 1/4 the width of any of my 1-4X scopes.

http://wethearmed.com/gear-and-accessories/nikon-p-223-series/

I have been looking for a low power scope with an illuminated reticle.  The two that have caught my eye so far are the Millet DMS and the Leatherwood Hi Lux CMR.  It seems like the Millet has a more visible reticle while the Hi Lux has a more useful reticle that is not quite as bright.  I'm interested in getting into some 3 gun matches when I get to Michigan but my motorcycle has been sucking up all my spare cash lately, leading me to research some less expensive scopes.  I would not hesitate to try the Mueller reflex sight you had posted here, my experience with their scopes has been very positive.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/tactical-scopes/cmr-series/

edit: I don't see the thin crosshairs on the Nikon as a deal killer, it just won't work for me. 

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »
I think I'm going to go with the primary arms tac3x

I think functionally, and from a training standpoint, it will be similar to what I'm already familiar with

And inexpensive enough to where I'm okay with taking a gamble
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 02:58:44 PM »
If you buy it can you post a review here?  I'm still leaning towards the Millet DMS just because it is 1x4 and the illuminated reticle has gotten some good reviews but I'm not opposed to a fixed 3X sight.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
I put a 1-4x Nikon AR series on a .223 build of mine. I wanted some magnification available. Haven't seriously used it a bunch, side by side in the gun store I couldn't find any great advantage in a comparable used Leupold that was still more money. Set at 1x I can still use it both eyes open.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

220_SWIFT

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 04:18:26 PM »
Bah.

Dammit

You *expletive deleted*

Making me make decisions

Long eye relief? how far forward can I mount it effectively?

Sorry. lol  Eye relief is 3.5", so it can't go very far forward.  I was very pleased with the scope I had from them.  I have also seen a few other models from them and they have all been pretty decent quality.  Good luck.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
I put a 1-4x Nikon AR series on a .223 build of mine. I wanted some magnification available. Haven't seriously used it a bunch, side by side in the gun store I couldn't find any great advantage in a comparable used Leupold that was still more money. Set at 1x I can still use it both eyes open.

The difference is in the warranty. I've got a Nikon paperweight on the shelf, the zoom locked up after I owned it for 6 months and they wouldn't fix it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 02:29:24 PM »
Now, the bad; WOW.......the pictures of the crosshairs didn't do them justice....they're TINY.    Light starts going duskish you're not going to see squat.   The crosshairs are SUPER-thin, half the size of any my others, the hash-marks are the same.   Even the duplex portion of the crosshairs are thin, about 1/4 the width of any of my 1-4X scopes.

Are they thin? Yes.
However, they neglected to mention that when aiming at a darkish background with this scope, any ambient light is reflected back off of the reticle, making them appear to be a bronze color, quite distinguishable from everything else.

I have one on my new build mounted with a Burris P.E.P.R quick release forward canted mount that I'm quite pleased with. (So far  =D)
Mount info here:  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548141657/burris-ar-pepr-1-piece-extended-scope-mount-picatinny-style-with-integral-rings-flattop-ar-15-matte
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR