Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 14926 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo I can't wait!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

taurusowner

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »
At 20 hours for the campaign, I'll prolly just rent it i a few weeks.  No sense in spending 60 bucks on something that will take less than a week to beat.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2010, 05:32:48 AM »
If you're prepared to rent it for a few weeks that would probably give you enough time to experience a lot of it. Playing it straight through would cause you to miss out ont a fair bit. I spent about two hours last night hunting foxes, wolves and deer to raise a bit of cash. It was fun too, especially the look on my brother's girlfriends face during the skinning animation.

Speaking trying to behave though, I may have shot a shopkeeper for some remarks he made. I also accidentally shot a guy I was rescuing from wolves. It's not easy being good.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 05:51:38 AM by Iain »
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »
Welll done, IMO. I found myself pausing to watch the sun set over a far mesa several times as well.

-Cougars - been bushwhacked by a few. Quite startling to hear that distinctive growl as one leaps on your back. The rattlers are the same way.

I haven't done much of the main quest. Hunting and bounties are taking up my time.

It took me quite awhile to get familiar with Dead Eye. A necessary skill, though for when you are facing 3-4 well-armed bad guys.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 09:26:07 AM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Iain

• friend
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
Where are you finding cougars? I've seen two so far. Finding foxes is a pain too, very valuable hide. Bloody coyotes everywhere mind.

The presently restricted area past Thieves Landing looks productive - bison, beaver, mountain goats, bears and pigs.

Second stage Dead Eye I found pretty difficult to get used to by the way, preferred the first stage.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 10:50:29 AM »
The cougars seem to be in the area around Ft. Mercer. Both times I was doing random encounters and they just came out of nowhere. As in "GROWL. Oh crap I'm on the groun..." DEAD. :facepalm:

Haven't seen a fox yet.

So far I have seen/hunted:
Armadillos
Rabbits
Deer
Coyotes
Racoons
Rattlesnakes
Skunks
Wolves
Wild horses (can't seem to find a way to sell live ones, though)
Vultures
Hawks
Owls
1 Bobcat over bait

Is there any schedule for the train? I need to do a challenge involving the train and can never seem to catch up to it.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2010, 11:14:04 AM »
You guys suck. 

I have to take my son out to get shoes after school (going through about his 10th pair this year it seems), and I'm tempted to look around for the game....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2010, 11:17:50 AM »
You guys suck. 

I have to take my son out to get shoes after school (going through about his 10th pair this year it seems), and I'm tempted to look around for the game....

If you plan on getting anything done in the next couple of weeks, don't get it. :O

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »
The cougars seem to be in the area around Ft. Mercer.

Is there any schedule for the train? I need to do a challenge involving the train and can never seem to catch up to it.

Gotcha, just to the west of Plainview. took me a few minutes there to figure out which was the cougar icon, and which the bobcat on the printed map.

No idea about the train, you must be ahead of me in the game. Trying really hard to get other stuff done, esp as I have a 6am start with work tomorrow.

taurusowner

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 05:13:32 PM »
This being a Rockstar game, I wonder if there are codes to get modern weapons just for fun.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 06:17:39 PM »
Ok, in the area south of Benedict Point and west of Plainview there is the highest possible population density of cougars and wolves. Just killed about 15 of each without moving more than about 100yds in any direction.

Waste of time though, as I was about to leave when a cougar jumped me from behind and deaded me.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 07:05:55 PM »
I opened up Mexico and stopped working on story lines.

Have you run across any treasure maps? I found one and I know I'm in the right vicinity I just can't locate the exact spot.

Sounds like you ran into cougar country... /grin/.

BTW, the in-game newspaper says 1911, for folks wondering.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 07:32:13 PM »
No PC version eh?  Maybe one will come out eventually...
Hopefully.
I've been playing Killing Floor a lot lately on PC.  It's good fun.  $13 on Steam.
Another PC game I've been playing is a mod for BF2 called Project Reality.
Had some amazing experiences with it so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zQv_ebkCX0
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
Classic GTA-type moment

Oh there's the train icon. I bet if I ride out to meet it I will have plenty of time to fulfill a certain challenge. So I start riding towards the icon. Up a long, slowly inclining bridge over a huge drywash in the middle of a thunderstorm. (This isn't scripted, by the way.)

I get about halfway across and...what's that? A black plume of smoke headed around...a bend...this way.

Uh-oh.  Yep, it's the train. I'm 40 feet or so off the ground on a narrow train trestle with the train coming.
Now I know how Wile E. Coyote must have felt at times...

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 09:44:27 PM »
I succumbed!  Finding that the cougars are more active at night....just got dead after killing one and got attacked by another.
JD

taurusowner

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 09:46:41 PM »
Finding that the cougars are more active at night....

I'll take your word for it  :laugh:

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 09:56:27 PM »
Animals seem to follow real-world wake/sleep cycles. Nocturnal animals...are. Coyotes come out in relative droves at night. Deer too. Skunks. All of those are more difficult to find during the day.
Diurnal (is that the term?) animals are more plentiful during the day.

This game was researched well. The more I dig in, the more I am impressed.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:14 PM »
"Cougars more active at night"

Ahaha, hem,hem.

I'm too old for any of that.  Wait...

/grin/

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »
Hell, I'm too fat and old to attract those kind of cougars.....

As for the game,

got a few hours of gameplay in last night.  Its a hoot.  Killed a hooker, that cost me $40 and a chunk of fame.  Rescued a dude being attacked by coyotes.

Broke up a fistfight by shooting one of the people.  Still got my reward for protecting the town  =D

JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 10:20:28 AM »
Horse "deeds"

OK, that's pretty cool. If you buy a horse deed from a merchant, the deed itself moves into your kit, and the type of horse listed on the deed appears. You may have to whistle for him to appear (push the d-pad straight down). You can also whistle for them if they have just wandered off. Anyway, if your horse ever gets killed, just click on the deed and a new one appears close by. Doing a mission that requires you to get on another horse? Get on the other horse, then whistle. "Your" horse will follow you.

I got the "Kentucky Saddler" deed. Right fast horse.

Finally found my first treasure. That's all I'll say about that, other than the treasure maps are rather cryptic.

"got a few hours of gameplay in last night.  Its a hoot.  Killed a hooker, that cost me $40 and a chunk of fame.  Rescued a dude being attacked by coyotes.

Broke up a fistfight by shooting one of the people.  Still got my reward for protecting the town" =D  

=D

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »
Funny thing about the hooker was that she wandered off from the saloon at Armadillo.  Best I could tell, we were well out of sight of anyone.

Hunting over bait is awesome :)

Also, I'm glad that there isn't that much swearing in the game.  Can't even play BF Bad Company 2 with the kids awake because of the language.  At least with red dead I can run them out of the room. 
JD

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 09:50:17 AM »
Funny thing about the hooker was that she wandered off from the saloon at Armadillo.  Best I could tell, we were well out of sight of anyone.

Hunting over bait is awesome :)

Also, I'm glad that there isn't that much swearing in the game.  Can't even play BF Bad Company 2 with the kids awake because of the language.  At least with red dead I can run them out of the room. 

Got my first boar and first fox last night, in the boar icon area north of McFarlane's Ranch. Does bait attract non-predators? Can't determine.

Some of the language in the cut scenes can be rather salty, just so you know.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »

JamisJockey, come on over. oh and, sorry about your wallet. :angel:

but really, headphones work well, if your tv doesn't have a headphone plug. it's pretty much buy a stereo or receiver. an old shelf unit with an aux input will work if your tv has rca audio outs. that way you can watch your movies or games when you get the chance without waking the whole house.(if you get the closed headphones, open are almost as loud as speakers) oh and if you need more than one set going at a time, there are ways to do that to.

taurusowner

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »
Well I rented it last night but didn't get a chance to play since I had Army crap all day.  Jus started playing about 15 minutes ago.  I'm goin after McFarland  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 09:29:03 PM »
Got my first boar and first fox last night, in the boar icon area north of McFarlane's Ranch. Does bait attract non-predators? Can't determine.

Some of the language in the cut scenes can be rather salty, just so you know.

Yeah I've killed a deer or two over bait.  Still hoping to get a damn cougar.  Figured out how to stalk wolves, you have to plink them from a distance or they kill you.
JD