Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 14931 times)

Iain

• friend
Red Dead Redemption
« on: April 09, 2010, 06:22:05 AM »
Various trailers

Yeah, I pre-ordered it. I think that makes me a geek or something. Looks pretty impressive.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:22 AM »
Good music.

They said stagecoach travel was faster than horseback.  Ain't that back'ards? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:32:50 AM »
So, it's like World of Warcraft with cowboys... :laugh:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:08 AM »
Good music.

Horses were ridden with an eye to keeping the one you had under you for the duration of the journey, if not for the lifetime of the rider or horse (whichever came first).

Stagecoaches were driven in stages - pretetermined distances usually based on how far you could run a team at pretty much top speed until they were close to worn out.  Horses were then changed at the stage station, where the used-up ones were rested for several days to weeks, awaiting the stagecoach's return trip.

A day's trip on horseback was between 30 & 50 miles, depending on terrain.  A stagecoach teravelled between 60 and 100 miles per day, albeit in 15-20 mile spurts.

So yes, stagecoach travel was faster.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:53:26 AM »
What he said.

WOW.  The Multiplayer looks hot.  I'm thinking this'll be a game to try for sure.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Iain

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »
Good music.

Imagine the stagecoach will be like a taxi in GTA, you hop on board and there is no journey time. Like in GTA you can get there yourself, it just takes longer but with a chance of running into something interesting.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 08:13:22 AM »
dang it, right after i blackballed sony, maybe they'll fix the linux support quickly enough. =|

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Whereas WoW has no interest for me whatsoever...well this has guns, and stuff. That makes it ok to get addicted, right?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
Whereas WoW has no interest for me whatsoever...well this has guns, and stuff. That makes it ok to get addicted, right?

Definitely. You can play this one dressed as Clint, and that makes it cool.

The conventions will be full of cool Clint and John alikes. That'll be so cool. I'll be there. Being cool, smoking a fake cheroot.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:59:25 PM »
I had no idea the stages in stagecoach routes were so short.  That must have been in insanely expensive way to travel. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:57 PM »
A day's trip on horseback was between 30 & 50 miles, depending on terrain.  A stagecoach teravelled between 60 and 100 miles per day, albeit in 15-20 mile spurts.

Well, not to mention the wear and tear on the rider's behind  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Iain

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 12:22:12 PM »
Some reviews are out. I know the game review industry is regarded as highly suspect by many, they are glowing though.

In the more than 1,100 articles I have written for this newspaper since 1996, I have never before called anything a tour de force. Yet there is no more succinct and appropriate way to describe Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar rides again.
- http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/arts/television/17dead.html?pagewanted=all

Launch is tomorrow for you guys, Friday for me.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 01:17:09 PM »
Various trailers

Yeah, I pre-ordered it. I think that makes me a geek or something. Looks pretty impressive.

I guess I'm a geek too.

Grand Theft Stagecoach?  =D Right on.

The guns look like they are modeled rather accurately (for a game). The full-auto broomhandle Mauser is a little hokey, though. Looking forward to the LeMat. Hope they did that one well.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:27:54 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
Want.  Don't have time to give a hoot, though.  I'll pick it up after the move, which will put all the hard core geeks 2 weeks ahead of me, which means I'll get killed frequently online  :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:43 AM »
Damn.  I was really trying hard not to buy a PS3.  :mad:
For entertainment purposes only.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:08 PM »
Copy arrived today.

Played for a couple of hours. It is GTA Wild West really, but that setting removes some of the annoying innovations from GTA IV, like the mobile phone.

The Dead Eye feature works nicely, at this point it just slows things down allowing you to plant a round right between the eyes. Later on it allows you to paint multiple shots, which are then delivered in rapid succession.

Scenery is amazing frankly, I found myself stopping to watch a sunset. Characters look better, and the quirks of the graphics suit this setting much better than they do Liberty City.

Despite the apparent hilarity of being bad, it's actually a pain. Being hunted down sucks, and I felt like a right idiot for killing a marshall, and it was an accident. Lassoing people is fun though. Occasionally you'll meet a marshall who has lost two prisoners, you get the option to kill them or take them alive. Don't bother with lassoing them, if you do and take them back to the marshall he just executes them anyway. Otherwise, bounty hunting is much more rewarding if you keep the bounty alive.

Hunting is quite good fun, make heavy use of the Dead Eye feature and you can bag a few deer at a time. Cougars are quite hard, and talking of killing by accident, when being attacked by a cougar I accidentally shot my horse in the back of the head. Going to need something pretty powerful to hunt the bears later on.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 05:20:51 PM »
...full auto C/96. So this is set in the early 1930s? That's when the Mauser c/96 model 712 was designed. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 05:37:36 PM »
...full auto C/96. So this is set in the early 1930s? That's when the Mauser c/96 model 712 was designed. ;)

I'm sure there are any number of gun related idiocies. Even I noted that the Winchester repeater was significantly more powerful and had better range than the standard repeater, despite the fact that they share the same ammunition.

It's set in the early 20th century.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:19 PM »
I saw a youtube clip where you can get an achievement for tying up a nun and leaving her on the railroad tracks to get run over.

If that's not versimillitude I don't know what is. ;)

Someday I'll get a console.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:53:46 PM »
I'd happily give a few historical inconsistancies a pass if it makes the game more fun.  I may have to check this out!

PTK

• friends
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 07:52:22 PM »
It's set in the early 20th century.

After WWI, before WWII, or early as in pre-1911?
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 08:38:23 PM »
I believe the game is supposed to take place in 1911.

taurusowner

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:27 PM »
How would those of you that have it rate the single player.  I really don't get into multi-player games at all.  The only exception to that being Rainbow Six.  I don't like to buy games before playing them anymore after I pre-ordered Halo 2, waited in line for midnight, and had the whole campaign beat before sunrise.  Only after I wasted the $60 did I find out they basically designed the game to be mostly for multi-player and tacked the -10 hour campaign on afterwords.  So yeah, I'd like to hear how the single-player only is before I spend any money on this.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 08:54:33 PM »
GTA IV was a single player game with multiplayer tacked on. This one, well they seem to have put more effort into the multiplayer, not that I've tried it yet. There's at least 20 hours of single player game play I think, and that would mean ignoring the bounty hunting, hunting, horse-breaking, gambling etc side games.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:35 PM »
No PC version eh?  Maybe one will come out eventually...