Author Topic: Why The Star Trek Universe Is Secretly Horrifying  (Read 19844 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Why The Star Trek Universe Is Secretly Horrifying
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:28 AM »
the show was centered around that ship and her crew but they could have thrown some civilian love around at least a few times

"Heart of Gold"  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 10:54:51 AM »
I pretty much gave up on the Star Trek franchise after they mangled the Maquis storyline.

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Maquis

After portraying them as terrorists over the course of two series, the Maquis was conveniently wiped out off-screen. Then the Federation goes out of its way to liberate & rebuild the Cardassians....the empire that attacked & terrorized the Maquis in the first place.....  :facepalm:

Right then, I discovered that the Federation was no better than the Alliance....

I give them a bit of a pass on the Maquis. The "portraying them as terrorists"... I never saw that. They had core characters, like Ro Laren, the Bajoran woman played by the actor who was Admiral Caine in the BSG reboot... and the tattoo Indian guy who was pressed into service as Voyagers 1st officer etc. So they had folks of "good character" coming and going from the Maquis, and I thought they always portrayed them as a complicated gray area.

As in, "The Federation's hands are tied by treaty, and breaking the treaty will start a full-scale war. And blowing stuff up and guerrilla warfare is bad, mkay? But yeah, your grievances at being hung out there when we ceded the territory, and how the Cardassians behave are rather valid. And the Maquis are all rather solid and brave individuals." 

I always took away from it, "Everyone's gotta do what they gotta do." Would the Federation really be acting in a responsible fashion if they started a full-scale war over a few thousand people?

Ham-handed as it was, I saw it as STNG, DS9, and Voyager taking a stab at trying to portray some real-world complicated ambiguity, and situations that had no good pat answers.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:49 AM »
I always took away from it, "Everyone's gotta do what they gotta do." Would the Federation really be acting in a responsible fashion if they started a full-scale war over a few thousand people?

Yes.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
Yes.

Well, I would too.  >:D

That said, I respect the fact others may not feel that way. And assuming the proper forms were adhered to in making that decision in a democratic republic that operates with the consent of those it governs, I'd have to accept the decision.  At least in terms of expecting the state to go to war.

And that's where the Maquis stepped in. "Doing what they felt they had to do."
I promise not to duck.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
What does it say for your individual rights when the government can just up and cede your multi-generational home over to the neighboring fascist dystopia?  There was a treaty saying things would be fine and dandy for those left behind, but, uh, yah, the evil empire gave free guns to your neighbors of another nationality that wanted to exterminate you.  So the Cardassians were given free reign to spit on the treaty, but the Federation had its hands tied. 

Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
I work in IT. Bad idea. But it'll pay good to repair.   =D

I can just see the Rev as a Brain Surgeon / Internet BioConnectivity Field Service Engineer
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2012, 04:19:20 PM »
I can just see the Rev as a Brain Surgeon / Internet BioConnectivity Field Service Engineer

"We Make House Calls !"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2012, 07:40:29 PM »
What does it say for your individual rights when the government can just up and cede your multi-generational home over to the neighboring fascist dystopia?  There was a treaty saying things would be fine and dandy for those left behind, but, uh, yah, the evil empire gave free guns to your neighbors of another nationality that wanted to exterminate you.  So the Cardassians were given free reign to spit on the treaty, but the Federation had its hands tied. 

Those living on the USA's southern border can sympathize...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »
Those living on the USA's southern border can sympathize...
:O
I really hope someday I will be telling disbelieving grandchildren about the whole gunwalker thing.  It boggles my mind and I don't enjoy thinking about how, right now, things are really that bad.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Watched ST; Into the Darkness last night and something in it made me think of this thread.

There was a scene where Scotty was grumbling about how the Federation or Starfleet confiscated one of his inventions.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Watched ST; Into the Darkness last night and something in it made me think of this thread.

There was a scene where Scotty was grumbling about how the Federation or Starfleet confiscated one of his inventions.

Scotty developed that invention on Starfleet time and presumably with their resources.  If he had created an invention today in the same manner at a private firm, he would have lost it to them as well.

Chris

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2013, 12:46:37 PM »
If my planet were dying due to supervolcanism, or imminent asteroid impact etc. and aliens watching us who could have saved us with the push of a button didn't because we were pre-contact?

I'd be kinda pissed.

No you wouldn't. You wouldn't know they were watching, so you would have no reason to be pissed.

And shortly thereafter you wouldn't be anything but dead ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Scotty developed that invention on Starfleet time and presumably with their resources.  If he had created an invention today in the same manner at a private firm, he would have lost it to them as well.

Chris

This is pretty much a standard in any industry, including the arts. If I'm on staff at a publication and I write something for them, they own it. If I'm a contractor and my contract states that I retain all rights, then what I wrote is mine. Yet another reason to read the fine print and think further than the tip of your nose.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2013, 01:12:40 PM »
This is pretty much a standard in any industry, including the arts. If I'm on staff at a publication and I write something for them, they own it. If I'm a contractor and my contract states that I retain all rights, then what I wrote is mine. Yet another reason to read the fine print and think further than the tip of your nose.

Yup.  Learned about it in b-school nearly 20 years ago and have seen it in hiring agreements since.  Nothing new at all, but is "extra sinister" this time because it takes place in a fantasy world set far into the future.  Therefore, it is obviously oppression. ;)

Chris

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2013, 03:39:07 PM »
After portraying them [the Maquis] as terrorists over the course of two series, the Maquis was conveniently wiped out off-screen. Then the Federation goes out of its way to liberate & rebuild the Cardassians....the empire that attacked & terrorized the Maquis in the first place.....  :facepalm:

Isn't that spelled "Kardashians"?   >:D  (talk about possibilities for a crossover episode...) 
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2013, 05:43:29 PM »
Weren't the Maquis the  Bajoran resistance during the Caedssian occupation?

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2013, 05:55:58 PM »
The Maquis came about when the Federation and Cardassians signed a peace treaty which established a demilitarized zone and ceded some colonies to Cardassian control. The Maquis formed as a resistance against Cardassian rule, and as the Federation gave little to no official help they didn't much care for the Federation either. [/geek]
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »

What about the Thermians from the Klaatu Nebulae  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »
What about the Thermians from the Klaatu Nebulae  ???

Besides the Galaxy Quest reference, isn't the Thermian an electronic musical instrument, related to IF section of old superhetrodyne AM radios?
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56:06 PM »
Besides the Galaxy Quest reference, isn't the Thermian an electronic musical instrument, related to IF section of old superhetrodyne AM radios?

I dunno ... I was sort of hung over  =D

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2013, 07:06:31 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2013, 07:09:10 PM »

That would be the theremin.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.