Author Topic: pro dui montana republican  (Read 11262 times)

zahc

• friend
Re: pro dui montana republican
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2011, 12:44:41 AM »
When I used to deliver pizza, I would get pulled over constantly just because driving home at 2am is probable cause for being drunk. I heard so many lame excuses about how I was swerving over the line or my taillights weren't working; it really had an impact on my view of law enforcement and the DUI thing. I started leaving my pizza sign on for the trips home and just left it in the truck. It came in handy sometimes when I was off duty and needed to park somewhere illegally for just a couple minutes anyway.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2011, 05:14:55 PM »
So, this begs the question, why do you believe it's okay to arrest someone with no prior DUIs for having the gall to possess keys to their own property?

it does more than beg a question. how about you point out where i said that?   be careful not to hurt yourself stretching
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2011, 05:25:35 PM »
it does more than beg a question. how about you point out where i said that?   be careful not to hurt yourself stretching

;/  Try the whole thread.

FWIW, folks, question-begging is this right here.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
"if you call a taxi, wait for it to show up, and then go into your car to get your things the police will (and have in the past) arrest you for drunk driving. " I either heard that from the driving instructor at the behind the wheel class I took when I got my license about ten years ago, or from a police officer they brought in to talk to us during that class.

My interwebs searching seems to indicate that "Most states have determined that all that is necessary to be guilty of their driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence statutes is that the vehicle be in your control, moving or not, running or not. So parked with you in the drivers seat is "operation.""

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-497814.html seems to have a few antidotes along those lines.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/21789609/detail.html  Arrested while waiting for a cab, but the arrest was for public intoxication. They were outside the bar and took a cab to the bar.  "A Montgomery County prosecutor said if you call a taxi after drinking alcohol, you are typically better off waiting inside the establishment instead of in the parking lot."

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11400&page=1 Also says the same thing, you just have to be in control of the car, not trying to drive it.

I also found a few incidents were people listening to the car's radio in their driveway with the engine off were arrested for drunk driving, even though the situation strongly indicated they had no intention to drive.

"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

• friends
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:10 PM »
I also found a few incidents were people listening to the car's radio in their driveway with the engine off were arrested for drunk driving, even though the situation strongly indicated they had no intention to drive.

could you share those?

i went to this
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-497814.html

and found nothing even close to supporting your earlier claim anecdotal or otherwise
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2011, 02:21:36 PM »
None of these are the same examples I found while looking up the taxi cab case.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/cops/garage.asp Just for fun, a police officer follows a man suspected of driving drunk, the man happens to pull into the officer's garage and claims it is his own home.

http://tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=125980 DUI upheld for man sleeping in his car in his driveway. The car was not able to start, the keys were not in the ignition. The engine was cold. The car door was open. He did have prior arrests.
http://autos.aol.com/article/dui-car-wouldnt-start/ here is another article about the same incident.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-139631.html Many of the police there say they can arrest people if they have the keys to their car while in their car. It seems to depend on the state. Most officers also state they would use discretion.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

• friends
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2011, 02:28:51 PM »
gonna have to do better than that second link
"The keys were in the center console, not the ignition. Fleck admitted to having consumed around a dozen beers that night. Officers at the scene arrested him, and his blood alcohol level was found to be .18. A few weeks after Fleck's vehicle was impounded, a police officer tested the vehicle using the keys found in the car's center console.

"Although the key turned in the ignition, the vehicle would not start," Justice Alan C. Page explained in the unanimous decision"

i've been "involved" with hundreds of dui's in the last 30 years  was just on the phone with a guy a few mins ago. i see the system abused alright   by the drunks,  not the other way around

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:34:31 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

• friends