Author Topic: NYT article on pre-emptive strike against Iran  (Read 12306 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
NYT article on pre-emptive strike against Iran
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/magazine/will-israel-attack-iran.html?hpw=&pagewanted=print

I just finished reading the book 'The Nuclear Jihadist', about A.Q. Khan from Pakistan and his dissemination of nuclear technology throughout the world. It was interesting to read how concerns over Iran's WMD program and the discussion of pre-emptive strikes go all the way back to the first Bush administration.  The book made the case that by now, Iran's nuclear program is too decentralized and in too many hardened shelters to take out via conventional military means.

I really wonder what is going to happen.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: NYT article on pre-emptive strike against Iran
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »
I really wonder what is going to happen.

If they were smart, they'd STFU and tone down the threats, keep working, and announce their new nuke status some time in the future.  They will lose personnel to whomever is operating against them inside Iran, but the mullahs want it enough to keep feeding the beast.

I suspect they are both stupid and crazy and will shoot up some tankers and close the straights.

At that point, they will face a no-bull coalition of countries that don't take kindly to having their already-ailing economies starved of fuel.  Not only will the straights be busted back open, every Iranian military base will be turned to rubble and every suspected nuke facility bunker busted to a fare-thee-well in one of several ways.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
straits
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
If they were smart, they'd STFU and tone down the threats, keep working, and announce their new nuke status some time in the future.  They will lose personnel to whomever is operating against them inside Iran, but the mullahs want it enough to keep feeding the beast.

I suspect they are both stupid and crazy and will shoot up some tankers and close the straights.

At that point, they will face a no-bull coalition of countries that don't take kindly to having their already-ailing economies starved of fuel.  Not only will the straights be busted back open, every Iranian military base will be turned to rubble and every suspected nuke facility bunker busted to a fare-thee-well in one of several ways.

Which would be a valid reason to bomb them back into last century. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:01:57 PM »
A powerful US Navy is one government thing that I agree with.

We need to be able to keep sea commerce open around the world.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 08:39:51 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Iranians to publish the plans for a preemptive strike on the New York Times....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 09:20:27 PM »
Two thoughts. 1. SSGN
2. The Germans feel so guilty about WWII they wrote off a billion on the last subs they delivered to Israel. With crooze missiles! Ours would be conventional, theirs, not so much perhaps.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »
Which would be a valid reason to bomb them back into last century. 
Didn't we (meaning humanity) invent nukes last century?  What good would that do?  ???

:P
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:14:23 PM »
My take on the whole Iran situation is that with enough pressure whether it be from economic sanctions or military might, the Iranian people will revolt.  There are enough people there that want to be Westernized and all they need is a catalyst.  I don't foresee the need for a large contingent of ground troops in that country.  After a few well placed tactical strikes on key military infrastructure just a few Spec Op raids will be all that is needed.  I think the Iranian people will do the rest. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:29:31 AM »
straits

I do not spell or grammar-check forum posts.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:35 AM »
I do not spell or grammar-check forum posts.

Knot that it wood have helped in this case.  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
. . . I suspect they are both stupid and crazy and will shoot up some tankers and close the straights.

Iranian military action (another "tanker war?") in the Straits of Hormuz would provide a casus belli to take out their military and their nuke program, pretty much ending the debate and vacillation that's been going on for the better part of a decade now.

I wonder if we'd be smart enough to take out their ayatollahs as well by targeting their next leadership meeting, conclave, or whatever they call it . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Then, we'll get to hear another *expletive deleted*ing four years of bellyaching about "ZOMG ILLEAGAL WAR!!!Oneoneone" and "WAR CRIMEZ! WAR CRIMEZ!!!!! US SOLDIERS SHOULDNT KILL!!!!!!"

Screw that
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »
The real issue is how we got to this point of dwindling options.  Who moved the ball?  Who didn't?  Where's the accountability?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 12:53:34 PM »
I wonder if we'd be smart enough to take out their ayatollahs as well by targeting their next leadership meeting, conclave, or whatever they call it . . .

Hootenanny.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 02:52:09 PM »
My take on the whole Iran situation is that with enough pressure whether it be from economic sanctions or military might, the Iranian people will revolt.  There are enough people there that want to be Westernized and all they need is a catalyst.  I don't foresee the need for a large contingent of ground troops in that country.  After a few well placed tactical strikes on key military infrastructure just a few Spec Op raids will be all that is needed.  I think the Iranian people will do the rest. 
I think it all depends on how far they can take it themselves.  IMO, the question with many Muslim countries is will the moderates stand up to the fanatics?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:48 PM »
I think it all depends on how far they can take it themselves.  IMO, the question with many Muslim countries is will the moderates stand up to the fanatics?

I think the recent arab revolts prove that in most cases, they'll replace one group of dipsticks with another group of dipsticks
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
I think the recent arab revolts prove that in most cases, they'll replace one group of dipsticks with another group of dipsticks

Well said, sir!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 03:32:26 PM »
Remember, the US (or Carter's administration anyway) had high hopes for the Ayatollah Khomeinni being a benevolent leader following the overthrow of the Shah. The mideast doesn't seem to be much better than Africa at replacing governments.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 07:57:05 PM »
Wait a sec here - Iran has been subjected to a pattern of attacks on scientists that, if they happened in the US, would undoubtedly start a war, and is subjected to ever tightening economic sanctions and threats of attack from the US and Israel....

So when they say "If you attack us we'll close the straits of hormuz!" they're belligerently threatening us?  How does that figure? 

It's an amazing propaganda feat to have the populations of the most powerful nations in the world convinced that a third world country like Iran is menacing them. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »
I think the recent arab revolts prove that in most cases, they'll replace one group of dipsticks with another group of even worse dipsticks
FIFY

Wait a sec here - Iran has been subjected to a pattern of attacks on scientists that, if they happened in the US, would undoubtedly start a war . . . 
Not really - by some counts, illegal aliens - mostly Mexican - kill over a dozen people a day in the USA. And we're not dropping bombs south of the Rio Grande yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 09:24:30 PM »
It's an amazing propaganda feat to have the populations of the most powerful nations in the world convinced that a third world country like Iran is menacing them.

You got that right.  For 50 years we've subverted (or helped subvert) the leadership in Iran and other ME countries, supported Dictators and Kings, armed their neighbors to the teeth, and invaded those who had no nukes.   Can't say as I blame them. 

By the same logic, we should have flattened Pakistan and N. Korea years ago...and perhaps China.  Another war is all we (don't) need. 

Limited attack, and the locals will revolt?  Where TF have I heard that one before?  They revolted to get the government they currently have.  If they choose to revolt against it...then great.  It's not our fight.  The Iranian people can't help it if the Iranian equivalent of Pat Roberts and Richard Daley are running their country.  They tried to vote them out, and the elections were rigged.  Given time, the economic sanctions will likely work...and the government they choose then is also none of our business.

If they close the Straight...that's a whole new ballgame.  I don't think they are that stupid.