Author Topic: Hooked on non-HFCS sodas  (Read 18089 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Hooked on non-HFCS sodas
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
FTFY  =D

Pretty useless without either reactant or fuel.

Pepsi Throwback is supposed to be available this month, anyone seen it in stores yet?

I saw it at Safeway the last time I was there, but I didn't pick any up because I'm not particularly fond of cola.

Now, if they'd start making Mountain Dew that way (or with Splenda, which would actually probably be far better), I'd probably buy several cases...
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 10:35:06 PM »
I saw it at Safeway the last time I was there, but I didn't pick any up because I'm not particularly fond of cola.

Now, if they'd start making Mountain Dew that way (or with Splenda, which would actually probably be far better), I'd probably buy several cases...

Actually, last I heard, Mountain Dew Throwback is due out soon, as well.
Hi.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »

Barq's is not mere Cola good sir
Look, tiny text!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
Barq's is not mere Cola good sir

Unless they make it in a fashion that makes it decidedly un-cola-like, I'm not really interested.  :P

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 11:24:26 PM »
Barq's...

I used to make sounds like that in college after a hard night of drinking heavily....

BBBAAAAAAARRRRRRRRQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2009, 11:45:26 PM »
Barqs, Non-hfcs, blah blah blah.

I don't really care for soda.

However, there are few drinks better than A&W root beer on tap.

Not in a can- that's crap.

On tap. I was quite pleased to discover the A&W here in Chantilly that has it on tap.

My wife quite approves as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Uncle Bubba

• friend
  • Billy Fish
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:48 AM »
Barqs, Non-hfcs, blah blah blah.

I don't really care for soda.

However, there are few drinks better than A&W root beer on tap.

Not in a can- that's crap.

On tap. I was quite pleased to discover the A&W here in Chantilly that has it on tap.

My wife quite approves as well.

Until early 1988 I detested root beer, never having had any but from a can or bottle. I moved to NW Florida in late '87 and a couple of months later some friends took me to Ward's, a fast-food restaurant. Mr. Ward, they told me, had been the back half of A&W but sold his interest to his partner and opened his own chain of stores. He either was allowed to use the A&W recipe or tweaked it slightly because he sold root beer on tap in frosted mugs. It took the gang a little convincing to get me to try it but damn! was it good when I did.

Something I learned from a friend who's a brewmaster: If you've a restaurant/brewpub nearby, check to see if the brewmaster there makes root beer, too. My friend worked in one at the time he told me this and said it's a good draw for families, providing something for the children as well as adults. If it's a straight brewpub or microbrewery the master probably doesn't make any but you never know. As good as A&W's and Ward's is, really fresh root beer is a true taste sensation.

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat *expletive deleted*it and die. Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Quote from: Fly320s
But, generally speaking, people are idiots outside their own personal sphere.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 02:06:39 AM »

Something I learned from a friend who's a brewmaster: If you've a restaurant/brewpub nearby, check to see if the brewmaster there makes root beer, too. My friend worked in one at the time he told me this and said it's a good draw for families, providing something for the children as well as adults. If it's a straight brewpub or microbrewery the master probably doesn't make any but you never know. As good as A&W's and Ward's is, really fresh root beer is a true taste sensation.

Good idea.  A microbrewery/restaurant just opened here; might have to wander in and see if they make root beer too.

I've been told that my great-grandfather used to make his own root beer.  Apparently, my great grandfather and his brothers didn't really like alcoholic drinks (they only drank once in a blue moon), so they found alternatives.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 06:43:02 AM »
Anyone know of a good non-hfcs root beer?

Capt Eli's
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
Sprecher's Root Beer.

HFCS and honey for sweetener.

(I know, I'm going to hell for even thinking about using HFCS, but I was headed there anyway...)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »
Abita makes a very good cane sugar root beer, if you can find it outside Louisiana.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:59 AM »
Sprecher's Root Beer.

HFCS and honey for sweetener.

(I know, I'm going to hell for even thinking about using HFCS, but I was headed there anyway...)

Thats some good stuff. I like there orange flavored whatever soda they have too.

Another good rootbeer is Millstream which is made in Amana, IA. Not sure how far they distribute. I had a keg of it for my wedding for all the non drinkers at the party. That 15 gallon keg was uber heavy from all the sugar.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:40 AM »
Except I am severely sensitive to caffeine, like 10mg causes a pretty good headache. Sooo unless you want to see me knee deep in the blood of the innocent doubling the caffeine is a bad idea. Though I would give the no sugar thing a try.

So what you're trying to say is that if we want some decent entertainment, we should slip some ground up caffeine pills into your beverage when you're not looking?

I'm a Mtn Dew addict.   They did a special run of Mtn Dew that I tried once...   Smoother somehow.  I suspect it was using some type of sugar other than HFCS.  I pondered executing any witnesses and making off with the whole supply...     

Just did some google-fu, woot!   West Jefferson Dr Pepper (WJDP) of West Jefferson, NC is the only official bottler of Mtn Dew that uses cane sugar.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »
Anybody tried this "Natural Pepsi" styff? Safeway is selling it here, comes in glass bottles, 4 to a pack. Made with cane sugar.

Then again, going to their website evokes way, way too much Obama... perhaps it's a sign to stay away...
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
Saw cases of cane sugar cola (probably Coke, but I can't quite remember) at Costco last time I was there.

Thylacine

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2009, 01:16:32 PM »
I used to love Coke, then there was the anti-coke "New Coke" fiasco. Yeeeeeeeeuuuuuck~!  Then Coke Classic, which wasn't.  Now days Coke always seems to taste like Cinnamon to me.  Does the sugar cane Coke have that as well?

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
What other HFCS-free wonders are out there for me to discover?

Seltzer. It's good stuff.

myrockfight

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
I was walking into the gas station today and saw a Pepsi guy unloading. I asked him about the "Throwback" Mountain Dew and Pepsi. He said they were supposed to get it in today, but didn't. He said it should be any day now though with that in mind. Apparantly, the bigger corporate accounts get the new products first. Here in Florida, the Hess stations (and the like) should get them before anyone else.

I'm pretty excited about the Mountain Dew. I am going to also pick up some Jones Soda when I see it.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2009, 09:28:04 PM »
I like Cheerwine for a non-HFCS soda.  I also like Reed's Ginger Beer.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »
So what you're trying to say is that if we want some decent entertainment, we should slip some ground up caffeine pills into your beverage when you're not looking?

I'm a Mtn Dew addict.   They did a special run of Mtn Dew that I tried once...   Smoother somehow.  I suspect it was using some type of sugar other than HFCS.  I pondered executing any witnesses and making off with the whole supply...    

Just did some google-fu, woot!   West Jefferson Dr Pepper (WJDP) of West Jefferson, NC is the only official bottler of Mtn Dew that uses cane sugar.

Sure buddy if you want to see the apocalypse you go right ahead. But I will tell you, you will be the first to die.
Look, tiny text!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »
All the Whole Foods house brand soda is made with cane sugar.

I rarely drink soda but like their Ginger Ale.

One of the young punks at work commented on how I must be older than I look because I was drinking Ginger Ale, lol...he was right.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2009, 11:25:58 PM »
Mtnbkr or Mrs. Mtnbkr found a new brand of ginger ale made by one of the breweries in Northern Virginia.

All cane sugar, and INCREDIBLY good.

I think it was from Old Dominion.

Got any more info on this? As I LOVE ginger ale...
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2009, 07:03:37 AM »
It was from Dominion Brewery, which is a local (Northern Virginia) microbrewery.  They were recently purchased by Anheiser Busch, so their stuff might start spreading, but I've never seen it outside of Va.

Chris

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 06:49:41 PM »
Anybody tried this "Natural Pepsi" styff? Safeway is selling it here, comes in glass bottles, 4 to a pack. Made with cane sugar.

Then again, going to their website evokes way, way too much Obama... perhaps it's a sign to stay away...

I had a bottle a few weeks ago. It was pretty good. I was hoping the cola taste would have been a bit stronger. I could tell it was made with real sugar as I compared it to a generic supermarket cola. I buy the Coca-Cola in glass bottles from Mexico in our local supermarkets once in a while and I like it. I think there is a taste difference, but I don't think a lot of folks would notice it.

By the way, the four pack of Pepsi Natural my buddy got was over five dollars. I don't think I'll be buying much.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 08:24:13 PM »
I used to love Coke, then there was the anti-coke "New Coke" fiasco. Yeeeeeeeeuuuuuck~!  Then Coke Classic, which wasn't.  Now days Coke always seems to taste like Cinnamon to me.  Does the sugar cane Coke have that as well?

There is definitely a hint of Cinnamon with both the Mexican and Kosher Cokes. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it