Author Topic: Hooked on non-HFCS sodas  (Read 18088 times)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
Re: Hooked on non-HFCS sodas
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2009, 09:59:10 PM »
Around here you can get Dublin Dr Pepper.

Dang good stuff. No HFCS. Pure Cane sugar.

A few places you can get Dublin DP out of a soda despenser. Bush's Chicken comes to mind.

Downtown they have the Dr Pepper museum. They have a working soda fountain and you can get the best damn Dr Pepper float, well since I was a kid.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
Around here you can get Dublin Dr Pepper.

Dang good stuff. No HFCS. Pure Cane sugar.

A few places you can get Dublin DP out of a soda despenser. Bush's Chicken comes to mind.

Downtown they have the Dr Pepper museum. They have a working soda fountain and you can get the best damn Dr Pepper float, well since I was a kid.

So....what part of Waco are you from?......  =D

I'm about 45 minutes east of you. And dittoes about the Dr. Pepper Museum....real ice cream and real cane-sugar Dr. Pepper.... :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Nightfall

• friend
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
I had a bottle a few weeks ago. It was pretty good. I was hoping the cola taste would have been a bit stronger. I could tell it was made with real sugar as I compared it to a generic supermarket cola. I buy the Coca-Cola in glass bottles from Mexico in our local supermarkets once in a while and I like it. I think there is a taste difference, but I don't think a lot of folks would notice it.

By the way, the four pack of Pepsi Natural my buddy got was over five dollars. I don't think I'll be buying much.
Broke down and gave the four pack a try. I like it, but the finish is very different. I believe I'm tasting the kola nut, but it's familiar and I can't quite put my finger on why. Agreed that the taste isn't strong. Then again, they could put tap water in a glass bottle, and I'd swear up and down it tasted better.  =D I paid four something, but I'm not willing to pay that regularly when I can get good beer for a similar price.
It is difficult if not impossible to reason a person out of a position they did not reason themselves into. - 230RN

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 03:43:25 PM »
If you live in an area with a large Jewish population, you can sometimes get real Coke during the various holidays.

That's true. We can. :D
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2009, 05:56:32 PM »
Quote from: Nitrogen
Got any more info on this? As I LOVE ginger ale...

Then you have to try Reed's.  They use real ginger and LOTS of it.  It almost burns.  Ummmmm.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
In the St. Louis area, they used to distribute something called Nitro Cola... Clear stuff, with about 2x caffeine. Pretty nasty, at least until you added the rum.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2009, 01:23:45 AM »
Ladies and Gentlemen, I bumping this thread up.

The Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback started arriving on store shelves in my area last week or so. For some odd reason, Walmart is not stocking it at this time, but most every convenience store is. I don't know about the smaller grocery stores, so I will have to check them out soon.

The Pepsi is pretty good. It doesn't seem to have the "bite" that the HFCS version has.

The Mountain Dew is kind of strange. At first sip, tastes closer to the Diet Mt. Dew (horrible stuff in my opinion) but tastes pretty good once you get used to the difference.

I heartily endorse this move of Pepsi, and hope Coca Cola does the same thing soon. None of the stores around here stock the Mexican or kosher coca-cola.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 07:21:05 PM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2009, 06:36:01 AM »
Lasies Gentlemen, I bumping this thread up.

The Pepsi and Mountain Dew Throwback started arriving on store shelves in my area last week or so. For some odd reason, Walmart is not stocking it at this time, but most every convienience store is. I don't know about the smaller grocery stores, so I will have to check them out soon.

The Pepsi is pretty good. It doesn't seem to have the "bite" that the HFCS version has.

The Mountain Dew is kind of strange. At first sip, tastes closer to the Diet Mt. Dew (horrible stuff in my opinion) but tastes pretty good once you get used to the difference.

I heartily endorse this move of Pepsi, and hope Coca Cola does the same thing soon. None of the stores around here stock the Mexican or kosher coca-cola.

I saw the Mt. Dew Throwback in my wal-mart last night (in VA) but I didn't pick any up, because I thought it was just the logo that was different, not the soda itself.  I'm going to head back there after work and pick up some.  All I noticed were 12pk cans, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2009, 07:11:57 AM »
No, the Throwbacks are made with real sugar and not corn syrup.
I tried one and it was rather tasty.
Not as delicious as I hoped, but better than regulars.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
MY wife found some cane sugar ginger ale at the hippy store (Central Market)

I.
Am.
Hooked.

Thomas Kemper = OH GOD THIS IS GOOD STUFF.
I've had their root beer before, but their ginger ale is heaven.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 03:15:24 PM »
MY wife found some cane sugar ginger ale at the hippy store (Central Market)

I.
Am.
Hooked.

Thomas Kemper = OH GOD THIS IS GOOD STUFF.
I've had their root beer before, but their ginger ale is heaven.

They have Central Markets in Texas?!?! I thought it was just up here in hippie-land. That place has the biggest selection of live seafood I've ever seen.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 03:35:41 PM »
They have Central Markets in Texas?!?!

Not Texas.....just Austin.....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:34 PM »
Travelling hippy Texan, here, I guess.  =)

I've shopped at Central Market stores in San Antonio (the original), Houston, Austin, and DFW.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2009, 04:12:05 PM »
Not Texas.....just Austin.....  =D

There's a Central Market in Plano, TX.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
They have Central Markets in Texas?!?! I thought it was just up here in hippie-land. That place has the biggest selection of live seafood I've ever seen.

Balog, our Central Markets in the Puget Sound area are owned by a different company than the markets in Texas.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

seeker_two

• friend
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2009, 07:49:44 PM »
There's a Central Market in Plano, TX.

Ever been to Plano?....it doesn't count, either....  =D

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09:52 PM »
I love me some Central Market.  Texas Pecan coffee, chocolate cake, fresh bread and tortillas. They also have a very nice selection of wine and cheese and, well, everything.

Just FYI, Central Market is owned by HEB grocery stores. Surprising, isnt it?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2009, 02:15:48 AM »
Balog, our Central Markets in the Puget Sound area are owned by a different company than the markets in Texas.

Ahhh, that would make sense....
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2009, 04:52:19 AM »
Got myself one of the Throwback versions of Mt. Dew and I really didn't care for it.  It was pretty weak in the DEW flavor, almost Fresca-ish, closer to the diet version like avenger said.  I guess I really don't remember a time when HFCS wasn't the main ingredient in most sodas, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.  I'll give the Pepsi version a try, but I can't recommend the Dew version with a clear conscience.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »
After you drink a couple of them, go back and try the HFCS stuff. Here's the result:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2009, 08:19:00 AM »
Got myself one of the Throwback versions of Mt. Dew and I really didn't care for it.  It was pretty weak in the DEW flavor, almost Fresca-ish, closer to the diet version like avenger said.  I guess I really don't remember a time when HFCS wasn't the main ingredient in most sodas, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.  I'll give the Pepsi version a try, but I can't recommend the Dew version with a clear conscience.

I remember getting Mountain Dew as a kid in 10oz bottles from the vending machine and it always had little tiny pieces of citrus floating near the bottom of the bottle. Seemed like when they went from sugar to HFCS they also did away with the fruit in it too.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2009, 11:11:33 AM »
I remember getting Mountain Dew as a kid in 10oz bottles from the vending machine and it always had little tiny pieces of citrus floating near the bottom of the bottle. Seemed like when they went from sugar to HFCS they also did away with the fruit in it too.

I remember that, too. It was pulp sacs from the orange juice concentrate.  They must use pulpless concentrate now.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »
I remember that, too. It was pulp sacs from the orange juice concentrate.  They must use pulpless concentrate now.

or artificial flavorings
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »
Quote from: Mabs
No, the Throwbacks are made with real sugar and not corn syrup.
I tried one and it was rather tasty.
Not as delicious as I hoped, but better than regulars.

Where are you?  I haven't seen any in California yet.  I tried the Pepsi natural, its good but not $1 a small bottle good.

If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.