Author Topic: It may be a bad recession, but I saw plenty of disposable income last weekend!  (Read 7802 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
In the past 2 months I have seen 3 A-10 low ceiling flybys and one Apache. 
Anyone have any idea why I would be seeing these aircraft.  Whiteman is the only reason I can think of but it's a fair distance away.

The A10s give me goose bumps everytime.  This last one had me running outside to see what it was.. it was so low I thought a plane wreck was going to be in sight.

You live or work near a low level training route or an MOA (Military Operations Area)?

Got a low level route running near my house, so I get to see the cool stuff all the time. Cobras, Blackhawks, Ospreys, CH-46s/47s, CH-53s, I've seen a lot, mainly helicopters. Even have some arrangements with the .mil for them to use our airfield for training.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
Anyone have any idea why I would be seeing these aircraft.  Whiteman is the only reason I can think of but it's a fair distance away.

The A10s give me goose bumps everytime.  This last one had me running outside to see what it was.. it was so low I thought a plane wreck was going to be in sight.

They've discovered your secrets, the black dark grey helicopters will be coming for you soon.
Look, tiny text!

Hutch

• friend
DamnDamnDamnDamn.  Damnit.

I was going this year, had a ride in with a very knowledgable friend.  Even the wife had the week off.  Unfortunately, my sister selfishly decided to have a medical emergency and was hospitalized.  I got to talk to lawyers, who think they're God, and doctors, who know they are.  As some Jews say, "next year, in Israel (Oshkosh)".
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Declaration Day

• friends
Info and photos of the Hondajet, if you're interested:   http://hondajet.honda.com/default.aspx?bhcp=1

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Gawd I love the A10.  Peace through superior firepower.  Not sure why the Air Farce tried to mothball the thing.
 :rolleyes:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
That new WACO makes me drool. If I was a rich man I'd own it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

If you're ever in PA, go here for viewing A10's.  They pass by Chickies Rock at eye level or lower.  Nothing like looking DOWN at an A10 going past.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Regolith

• friend
Gawd I love the A10.  Peace through superior firepower.  Not sure why the Air Farce tried to mothball the thing.

Probably because it was too specialized as a tank killer, and we haven't really gone up against anyone that can field tanks in large numbers for a while.  Plus, with the Apache and Abrams also covering that role rather well, it is a bit redundant.

The frame, though is probably one of the more survivable ever designed.  It's too bad they couldn't figure out a way to remake it into a general purpose bomber or something similar. I understand that it can carry bombs, but that didn't ever seem to become it's primary role, at least to my knowledge (which is admittedly sparse in this area).
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
maybe we could refit one to drop Rosie O on the enemy. Oh wait, that might be against the Geneva Convention rules. Damn...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Probably because it was too specialized as a tank killer, and we haven't really gone up against anyone that can field tanks in large numbers for a while.  Plus, with the Apache and Abrams also covering that role rather well, it is a bit redundant.

The frame, though is probably one of the more survivable ever designed.  It's too bad they couldn't figure out a way to remake it into a general purpose bomber or something similar. I understand that it can carry bombs, but that didn't ever seem to become it's primary role, at least to my knowledge (which is admittedly sparse in this area).

You are correct, it was meant solely as a tank killer able to survive on the (then) modern battlefield and kill as many tanks as possible using the Maverick missiles and the GAU-8/A 30mm cannon, returning to forward area bases to rearm and refuel and sortie again. Bomb dropping and such is a secondary role.

The A-10, last I heard, is scheduled for upgrades and to remain in service.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
It was scheduled to be handed over to the Army as the O/A-10, but the USAF discovered that the F-16 just couldn't handle the tank-busting role like the A-10.

LennyJoe will do a better job than I describing it, but the A-10 is now upgraded to the A-10C variant, and will remain in service for a long time.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Anything that can fly that low, that slow and put that much lead on target is a fantastic CAS aircraft. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Now, to learn to land...  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

MicroBalrog

• friend
"next year, in Israel (Oshkosh)".

Technically, we say, "Next year, in Jerusalem."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

erictank

• friends

Because it doesn't go high-and-fast, and look sexy doing it.

It just got the job done.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Still does. ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"