Author Topic: tires and "staggered fitment" ARGH!  (Read 10080 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: tires and "staggered fitment" ARGH!
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 07:41:47 AM »
Tire sizing is very confusing and counterintuitive.  The first number is the width of the tread in millimeters.  The second number is the sidewall height, expressed as a percentage of tread width, and the last number is rim size.

Almost. The first number is the cross-sectional width, and the widest part of the tire, not the tread width.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 07:48:57 AM »
Yeah, Rear wheel drive car with front weight bias already, and sporty gearing, then you reduce the traction in the rear.....what could possibly go wrong?

More reason why folks shouldn't modify stuff they don't understand.

It's AWD, not rear wheel drive. And
and my wife only drives like an old lady.

As for not understanding things, I agree people should not modify things they don't understand. When discussing automobiles, tires, and handling, that observation has nothing to do with me. I do understand. I have crewed on stock car teams, and built and raced my own sports cars.

Objectively, if the car has a severe front weight bias you would expect the front tires to be wider -- after all, they do about 80 percent of the work in a heavy braking condition, as well as a majority of the work while cornering. The ONLY reason for wider tires in the back is acceleration. If his wife doesn't drive it like a formula 1 car, not having wide skins on the back is not an issue.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
Expensive cars need expensive tires.... get out your wallet.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
The 10plys on my SuperDuty 4wd cost less and are all same size. Thanks for the feedback and the opportunity to vent. I'm looking forward to a better ride on new expensive tires Saturday.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »
Hey, I went through your pain when I bought tires for the Vic, which was a Sport model with the 17" wheel/tire package.  $175 a pop, but for good Michelin MXV4s.

Face it, decent tires that will last are going to run you $150-$200, depending on vehicle requirements and sizes.  The days of $75 tires, at least good ones, are gone.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:52 PM »
I also feel your pain.  I run 315/35/ZR17 drag radials on the back of my car.  They run about $180-$200 each, and I get about 7500 miles from a set.  But Good tires are important.  They're all that holds you on the road.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 12:26:57 AM »
Face it, decent tires that will last are going to run you $150-$200, depending on vehicle requirements and sizes.  The days of $75 tires, at least good ones, are gone.

Sheesh.

I'm old enough to remember buying NEW tires for $25 a pop that were good tires.

Gettin' old sux ... now if only my income had gone up by the same factor of 6x to 8x, maybe it wouldn't suck quite as badly.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 12:48:00 AM »
having spent some time listening to 2 people, that worked in tire plants*. i will pay 80-120 bucks a tire, and be happy. [tinfoil]

one in the sorting line, one running a mold. sounded like some hard work.