Author Topic: university prez, lost in a swamp drinks own urine to survive.  (Read 15631 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391679/I-drank-urine-University-president-describes-survived-lost-days-Louisiana-swamp.html

YUCK!

How do you not find water in a swamp?

From what I understand you can purify water with sunlight, if you cant boil it.

He left his cell phone in the car too, a survival situation in cell phone range!

As soon as I get my bike fixed & my reg current I'm updating my survival gear, I'm way out in the boonies & this stuff seems to be happening more and more.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Bigjake

• friend
Re: university prez, lost in a swamp drinks own urine to survive.
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 08:17:04 PM »
Bear Gryls strikes again!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
he's so smart and educated he has no idea how to find drinkable water in a swamp. Ahhh, acdemia at its finest.  [barf]
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:38:48 PM »
Didn't Charlie Daniels write a song about this guy?

"If you're a university prez in the Leesiana swamp, well ya better not go at all",

Surprised he didn't run into ol' Lucius Clay.

=D
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »
awesome thread so far!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
He survived.

That matters a bit more than whether he's known all the proper book 'survivalism' stuff.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
I wonder if he is a fan on Bear Grylls.

Perhaps I am misinformed, but I have always heard that any fresh water (by fresh I mean not saltwater) is better than no water in a "lost in the woods" scenario.  The idea being that without water you may die before being rescued.  Any nasties you might pick up from drinking the water aren't going to get you for weeks.  by that time you have either died or have been rescued and having been rescued you have access to modern medicine which will take care of the nasties.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:44:22 PM »
You can sure get lost in the Loosie-anna swampland...

=)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:38 PM »
 Any nasties you might pick up from drinking the water aren't going to get you for weeks.

Nope.  While some of the most common nasties might take weeks, others may only take hours.  And then you die from dehydration anyway.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 12:29:34 AM »

Perhaps I am misinformed, but I have always heard that any fresh water (by fresh I mean not saltwater) is better than no water in a "lost in the woods" scenario.  The idea being that without water you may die before being rescued.  Any nasties you might pick up from drinking the water aren't going to get you for weeks.  by that time you have either died or have been rescued and having been rescued you have access to modern medicine which will take care of the nasties.

Diarrhea strikes quickly and while merely miserable when you are at home within reach of the toilet and the fridge full of clear liquids...can easily deadly when your water supply is very limited or non-existent...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 01:01:47 AM »
yeah but

Even urine therapy advocates ( added by gunsmith, hey who knew there were advocates of urine drinking!) warn of the dangers of excessive urine consumption. During a worldwide conference of urine therapy practitioners, the Chinese Association of Urine Therapy warned that drinking urine has negative side effects, including diarrhea, fatigue, fever, and muscle soreness; and these symptoms increase with the amount of urine ingested.

looks like you get the diarrhea any way, I'm getting me one of those fancy light weight camping filters soon.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 01:38:26 AM »
Maybe there's different kinds of Louisiana swampland, but the two bits of the Lafitte Preserve I've been in were pretty clean and clear.  I'd drink from 'em, no worries.  Sure bad stuff can happen, but bad stuff has already happened and people drank water for a long, long time before filters.

Although this is a good argument in favor of those trendy steel water bottles.  Carry your regular water bottle, toss a lighter in your pocket, and you're good to go for quite a lot longer than four days. 

Have to make sure it doesn't have a plastic liner there.  I remember there was quite the scandal in hippie circles when everyone noticed that Kleen Kanteens or one of the other trendy steel drinking bottles, not sure which, had a ZOMG EVIL BPA! plastic liner.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 07:54:04 AM »
Maybe there's different kinds of Louisiana swampland, but the two bits of the Lafitte Preserve I've been in were pretty clean and clear.  I'd drink from 'em, no worries.  Sure bad stuff can happen, but bad stuff has already happened and people drank water for a long, long time before filters.

Although this is a good argument in favor of those trendy steel water bottles.  Carry your regular water bottle, toss a lighter in your pocket, and you're good to go for quite a lot longer than four days. 

Have to make sure it doesn't have a plastic liner there.  I remember there was quite the scandal in hippie circles when everyone noticed that Kleen Kanteens or one of the other trendy steel drinking bottles, not sure which, had a ZOMG EVIL BPA! plastic liner.

Sigg bottles are aluminum and had to eat crow about BPA being in their liners.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 08:46:31 AM »
He survived.

Four days.  You do realize that the only needs you really have to meet in four days of minimal exertion are to prevent hypothermia and get a little water, right?  A healthy person will not starve in that time, nor will their brain shut down from lack of Facebook access.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
You can sure get lost in the Loosie-anna swampland...

Yup; because the sun rises and sets in random directions there.   ;/

Lost for a few hours I can see.  Lost for days, unless there's a monsoon, is just dumb.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 08:58:30 AM »

Perhaps I am misinformed, but I have always heard that any fresh water (by fresh I mean not saltwater) is better than no water in a "lost in the woods" scenario.  The idea being that without water you may die before being rescued.  Any nasties you might pick up from drinking the water aren't going to get you for weeks.  by that time you have either died or have been rescued and having been rescued you have access to modern medicine which will take care of the nasties.

Many of those nasties can make you sick within hours.
He survived.

That matters a bit more than whether he's known all the proper book 'survivalism' stuff.

Like others noted....for a whopping four days.  Kids have been lost and found in the woods for longer than that.  Not exactly a feat of survivalisim.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:49:32 AM »
Maybe there's different kinds of Louisiana swampland, but the two bits of the Lafitte Preserve I've been in were pretty clean and clear.  I'd drink from 'em, no worries.  Sure bad stuff can happen, but bad stuff has already happened and people drank water for a long, long time before filters.

A couple of possible problems with that. We've become civilized enough that most of us are simply not able to handle the critters in most natural water because we're always drinking treated water, so our bodies aren't adapted. Even when they are, if you take a trip to a new locale with different critters in the water, you have to start adaptation all over again -- e.g., don't drink the water in Tijuana. I remember taking a hydrology class in college that included urban water and a field trip to water treatment facilities. Apparently our wastewater that goes through tertiary treatment is cleaner (or perhaps more accurately, more sterile) than most Mexican tap water.

I'm sure if you take clear water from a fast running source, you might be able to beat the odds, and if I had no other choice, I might do it. On the other hand carrying even a survival straw or clear plastic bag, or just carrying your water in a clear plastic bottle will let you do some filtering and decrease your chances of Montezuma's (or in this case Napoleon's) revenge. But your example of using fire is probably still the safest way to be sure.

Tangent: I recently caught an episode of a show called "Dual Survival". Kind of contrived, but it has an interesting premise of teaming a survivalist with a military background and training with a hippie guy that's into "aboriginal living" survivalism. The hippie guy walks everywhere barefoot and is into living with minimal modern inputs. In the episode I caught, they were "stranded" in Arizona, and one of their dilemmas was water. The hippie wanted to drink out of some scummy standing water because early humans would have, and all the larvae and insects and stuff would have been good protein.  The military guy practically retched at the thought and would have none of it. Apparently the hippie drank crappy water all the time so his body was resistant to it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 09:52:55 AM by Ben »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 10:54:52 AM »
In the episode I caught, they were "stranded" in Arizona, and one of their dilemmas was water. The hippie wanted to drink out of some scummy standing water

Scummy standing water in the desert?  Easy; dig a hole a few feet away.  If it fills up too fast, move back a bit more and dig again.  If you're still in doubt, cold cock the hippie, steal whatever he's lighting his doobs with and make a fire to boil the water.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
Yup; because the sun rises and sets in random directions there.   ;/

Lost for a few hours I can see.  Lost for days, unless there's a monsoon, is just dumb.

Not a Jerry Reed fan, are ya ?   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
Scummy standing water in the desert?  Easy; dig a hole a few feet away.  If it fills up too fast, move back a bit more and dig again.  If you're still in doubt, cold cock the hippie, steal whatever he's lighting his doobs with and make a fire to boil the water.

I have to say, at least in post-editing, the hippie was REALLY good at primitive fire starting.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
The hippie wanted to drink out of some scummy standing water because early humans would have, and all the larvae and insects and stuff would have been good protein.

You're lucky to have water so close.  Many's the time I've had to drink out of a muddy hoofprint.
[/texas ranger]

=)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 11:27:57 AM »
You're lucky to have water so close.  Many's the time I've had to drink out of a muddy hoofprint.
[/texas ranger]

=)

"If ever I meet one of you Texas waddies who ain't drunk water from a hoofprint, I think I'll... I'll shake their hand or buy 'em a Daniel Webster cigar. " / Rooster Cogburn

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 12:47:05 PM »
Look, just so you know in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation, you find a patch of land a few feet from the water and dig a hole. The water seeping into the hole has been filtered by the ground, it may not taste or look appetizing but it will be safe. The real problem is animal feces contaminating the standing water, "beaver fever" as it is known. Save your urine for peeing on your jellyfish stings. lol...

also, in the morning your first chore would be to lick as much dew from the leaves as possible.
Avoid cliches like the plague!