Author Topic: Shooting at Walmart in El Paso  (Read 4463 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Shooting at Walmart in El Paso
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »
This was in my Scroll of Faces a few weeks back.  I'd say the guy called it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 07:03:01 PM »
I am not sure how they would do something like this, but if they could, I think there are a number of the power elite in D.C. who would do it without hesitation if they thought it benefited them or their group.

(edit:  I'll just say I think setting this up is unlikely, but I think politicians won't hesitate to try to use it for their own gain.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:21:26 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »
Now Mexico wants to sue. Interesting, considering the way some Americans have died on the cartel-infested side of the border.

https://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2019/08/04/mexico-threatens-to-sue-the-u-s-over-the-el-paso-shooting-and-nbc-is-all-over-it/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 07:13:50 PM »
Now Mexico wants to sue. Interesting, considering the way some Americans have died on the cartel-infested side of the border.

https://twitchy.com/jacobb-38/2019/08/04/mexico-threatens-to-sue-the-u-s-over-the-el-paso-shooting-and-nbc-is-all-over-it/

Someone needs to remind Mexico how many American citizens have died on their side of the border. Bet it's way way way more than three
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 08:39:00 PM »
In fact, Mexico had the most by far: 196 Americans died just south of the border last year. Most of them were murdered with 67 homicides. 66 died from some sort of accident, and 23 people drowned.
By the numbers: Mexico was deadliest for U.S. tourists in 2018
https://www.khou.com/article/news/by-the-numbers-mexico-was-deadliest-for-us-tourists-in-2018/285-fa15908c-999c-4ead-9f0e-1095fe02e6ab
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
Another crazy reaps the benefit of a gun-free zone. There is definitely a correlation between gun control and mass murder. How is it that we can see it but the gun controllers can't? Oh, wait ...

These shooters seem to be useful idiots aiding the gun control crowd by supplying "excuses."

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 09:07:59 PM »
Reality is bad enough but that doesn't stop them from unloading this kind of nosense

No, There Haven’t Been 251 Mass Shootings This Year
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/no-there-havent-been-251-mass-shootings-this-year/

Update, 15 minutes later: According to initial reports, there have now been 3 mass shootings in August – Dayton being #251 of the year.
https://twitter.com/GunDeaths/status/1157901252757319680
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 09:49:21 PM »

No, There Haven’t Been 251 Mass Shootings This Year
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/no-there-havent-been-251-mass-shootings-this-year/

Update, 15 minutes later: According to initial reports, there have now been 3 mass shootings in August – Dayton being #251 of the year.
https://twitter.com/GunDeaths/status/1157901252757319680

Dayton is number 14 for 2019 on my list. I have no idea what the other 237 were ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 09:58:42 PM »
Dayton is number 14 for 2019 on my list. I have no idea what the other 237 were

Here is a unbiased look from a non-profit..... you know how that goes.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/?ftag=MSF0951a18

bob

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 11:53:51 PM »
Here is a unbiased look from a non-profit..... you know how that goes.

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/?ftag=MSF0951a18

From their web site:

What GVA considers Gun Violence...and why

Our definition of gun violence is intended to be fully inclusionary of disparate elements of gun related incidents...in that, all types of shootings are included, whether OIS, accidental, children shooting themselves, murders, armed robberies, familicide, mass shootings, DGU, Home Invasions, drivebys and everything else. We derive our definitions from CDC, FBI, NIH, and other organizations who have established standards.

Only by being totally inclusionary in our definitions is our data accurate, allowing the researcher to decide which parts of the complete dataset they need for their work. Our goal is to provide a complete picture of impact. Users then glean what they need from the whole. We intentionally have no GVA POV on the subject... but put in more real terms, GVA is against gun violence, not guns or gun owners and in that we strive to provide an unbiased, complete view of the subject.

To summarize -- if anyone is killed or injured and a firearm was in any way involved -- it's an incident of gun "violence."

A friend of mine is an amateur cabinetmaker (and a good one). Many years ago he sliced off the tip of a finger with his table saw. By this organization's standards, that should have been classified as an incident of table saw violence.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2019, 12:08:55 AM »
This was in my Scroll of Faces a few weeks back.  I'd say the guy called it.

not to long ago i would have no trouble disbelieving - that it was mere coincidence ...
its weird 
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2019, 04:12:00 AM »
What's that old saying? " Once is bad luck, twice is unfortunate coincidence, three times is enemy action. " Or something like that.
Hi.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
Given Trump's high priority on immigration, I can easily see him doing "the art of the deal" and trading stricter gun control for stricter immigration and border reform:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-suggests-linking-background-check-legislation-with-immigration-reform-in-wake-of-shootings

"Stricter background check legislation" is pretty nebulous, and could end up being something sucky or something relatively innocuous. Time will tell, but given election cycle timing and other factors, I don't see the gun control push fading away as it has in other recent and similar scenarios.

Though again, how many people died in Chicago this weekend, and where was this legislation when Obama and dems had a majority and could have "done something"?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2019, 08:53:55 AM »

Though again, how many people died in Chicago this weekend, and where was this legislation when Obama and dems had a majority and could have "done something"?

There's a website for that very thing
https://heyjackass.com/
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 08:56:25 AM »
From their web site:

To summarize -- if anyone is killed or injured and a firearm was in any way involved -- it's an incident of gun "violence."

A friend of mine is an amateur cabinetmaker (and a good one). Many years ago he sliced off the tip of a finger with his table saw. By this organization's standards, that should have been classified as an incident of table saw violence.
More than likely there was a gun in the house so that would be gun violence.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
Given Trump's high priority on immigration, I can easily see him doing "the art of the deal" and trading stricter gun control for stricter immigration and border reform.

One can hope that Trump realizes the Dems would never deal on immigration reform with him, so further gun control legislation can die on the vine.  Maybe that's his plan.
Or maybe he'll cave and sign an AWB and most everything else the idiots in Congress send his way.  Trump is quite wishy-washy on firearms, and his son's pro-gun influence in that regard can go only so far.
I really don't expect the Stupid Party to put up much of a fight against more legislation since elections are coming up.  Republicans often think that if they support the opposition's legislation, that will translate into support at the ballot box from some of that same opposition.  It's another reason they are called "The Stupid Party".
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 01:56:05 AM »
Things that make you think... https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1155971069783621634
His manifesto also spoke out against capitalism and for enviromentalism. The way it reads is like it was trying to make sure to hit certain points to create a narrative to talk about a little to convenient, things like specific types of ammunition, the guns to be used, "racism", etc.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
Good grief

Angry subscribers forced The New York Times to tweak today's top headline because it was apparently too kind to President Trump.

The initial headline read, "Trump Urges Unity vs. Racism" and went into detail about the president's response to the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio. Upon seeing it, some readers said, how dare they.
According to the Times, the first headline was penned by "some poor copy editor on the night shift trying sum up one of the most complicated issues of our time (race, violence, murder, immigration, bigotry, presidential history) in four words.”

They admit it was "bad."

New York Times Returns to the Presses to Change Trump, El Paso Headline After Backlash
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/08/06/nyt-keeps-couldnt-decide-on-todays-el-paso-headline-n2551243
- Calvin and Hobbes

zahc

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
It's blatantly obvious that he's just trolling with that manifesto. It's exactly the kind of think an 8chaner would create for teh lulz. And it's working, which means it is in fact win.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
Why stop at blaming Trump?

We need to call it out: Fox News is a hate-for-profit machine that gives a megaphone to racists and conspiracists. https://t.co/f1QkIE7sbB
    — Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) August 4, 2019

Sen. Warren Blames Fox News for This Weekend's Mass Shootings
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/08/06/sen-warren-blames-fox-news-for-this-weekends-mass-shootings-n2551159
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2019, 11:37:59 AM »
Why stop at blaming Trump?

Sen. Warren Blames Fox News for This Weekend's Mass Shootings
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2019/08/06/sen-warren-blames-fox-news-for-this-weekends-mass-shootings-n2551159

I heard a clip from yesterday of O'Rourke calling Trump a racist and white supremacist.  Now he and others are bashing the NYT for not being a complete Democrat partisan. 
Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke called it "unbelievable" that the Times would steep so low, while progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) summed it up. The newspaper just cannot give Trump an inch in this debate.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:08 AM »
I heard a clip from yesterday of O'Rourke calling Trump a racist and white supremacist.  Now he and others are bashing the NYT for not being a complete Democrat partisan. 

Yeah, posted a link to that in #42.
In a nutshell they're saying we must say Trump is 100% wrong even when we know he's 100% right on something. Orwell would be proud.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 12:39:45 PM »
Herrrrre's AOC!

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) late Monday said that President Trump's divisive rhetoric on immigration was "directly responsible" for the mass shooting in El Paso, Texas that left at least 22 people dead. The freshman New York congresswoman made the comments while speaking at a vigil in Brooklyn for the victims of the shooting in El Paso and Dayton, Ohio, according to the New York Daily News. “I’m tired of the questioning if the president is racist. He is,” Ocasio-Cortez told a crowd of about 500 people, the newspaper noted.
Demagogic Clown: AOC Declares Trump 'Directly Responsible' for El Paso Mass Shooting
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/08/06/demagogic-clown-aoc-declares-trump-directly-responsible-for-el-paso-mass-shooting-n2551246

500 people? Bet 490 of that was media

- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 03:45:29 PM »
Herrrrre's AOC!
Demagogic Clown: AOC Declares Trump 'Directly Responsible' for El Paso Mass Shooting
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2019/08/06/demagogic-clown-aoc-declares-trump-directly-responsible-for-el-paso-mass-shooting-n2551246

500 people? Bet 490 of that was media

What about the Antifa guy who was killed trying to attack an ICE building who was quoting AOC about "concentration camps" on the border?  Is she directly responsible for that death?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 04:13:41 PM »
What about the Antifa guy who was killed trying to attack an ICE building who was quoting AOC about "concentration camps" on the border?  Is she directly responsible for that death?

Trump's fault. If he hadn't built the concentration camps she wouldn't have had anything to blather about.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams