Author Topic: Hey, remember we were talking about metric v. English measurement disasters?  (Read 3381 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Very informative, thank you.  I was kind of spooked out when I first found smoke coming out of the ground as a buddy of mine and I prowled around out there.  He knew the area, and 'splained it.

WRT my theory as to the collapse of the roadway on Hwy 36 I noted above, there's no doubt the road goes over underground mines, since there's a memorial a hundred yards or so away for some miner whose body could not be found after a mine disaster down there.  The marker is over where he should have been if he were on his standard rounds when the disaster occurred.
Or someone may have spilled Worcestershire sauce in the embalming fluid. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Some goof probably hit the wrong switch by mistake when they were trying to turn off the overhead lights.   =D

Apparently a solenoid burned out and it was pissing water everywhere... It still wasn't repaired when I left for the day.

Monday is my last day there. I'm going to miss that machine. 
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Apparently a solenoid burned out and it was pissing water everywhere... It still wasn't repaired when I left for the day.

Monday is my last day there. I'm going to miss that machine. 

Put in an offer.  Maybe you can pick it up cheap as a "fixer-upper."
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I got a look at the guts when the guy was working on it. I'm pretty sure the computer module in it could send men to the moon and get them back safely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
Youtube additional details and "color" on the Lake Peigneur disaster.  The "400 foot geyser" is confirmed.

https://youtu.be/_feWtkSucvE

Very informative, thank you.  I was kind of spooked out when I first found smoke coming out of the ground as a buddy of mine and I prowled around out there.  He knew the area, and 'splained it.

WRT my theory as to the collapse of the roadway on Hwy 36 I noted above, there's no doubt the road goes over underground mines, since there's a memorial a hundred yards or so away from the road for a miner whose body could not be found after a mine disaster down there.  The marker is over where he should have been if he were on his standard rounds when the disaster occurred.

Big John?
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
I got a look at the guts when the guy was working on it. I'm pretty sure the computer module in it could send men to the moon and get them back safely.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So, there was a slide rule in there?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Big John?

No, the guy's name was Joe C. Jaramillo.  They just couldn't get to his body.  His wife complained that he was carrying a couple of thou worth of gold in his money belt and they should try harder.  They finally settled with her for some amount and agreed to put up the gravestone and fencing.

The family still lives in Louisville Colorado and apparently got tired of getting interviewed about it even though the original parties are long gone.  The marker used to be visible from the roadway, but Son2 tells me they moved it over the hill and it can't be seen without stopping and doing a bit of walking.

Reporters and journalists who were new to the area were fond of making a human interest story about it when someone brings it up.  

However, since it is now out of sight, I guess fewer questions about "What's that marker doing up there on the hill?" are generated, so the tale is fading into history.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 07:17:29 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Oh, yeah.  Something was tickling me about a song, but all I could think of was "Sixteen Tons."

"Big John" is apter.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
There's also the Ballad of Irving.  (the 142nd fastest gun in the West)
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Did someone measure out the coffee in metric amounts when they put it in the imperial measurement-based machine?

Well one time new kid took up drinking coffee and wanted to be helpful so he made coffee. Correctly measured the correct quantity of ground coffee. Except he had a can of instant coffee. Dunno if that's metric, but it sure tasted foreign.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
My Mother did that once, really early in the morning. I was getting ready to take her to a medical appointment and she made me coffee. Couldn't figure out why it was so horrible...

When we got home she went to clean the coffee machine and couldn't figure out where the ground had gone... We laughed pretty hard about that, then made a pot of real coffee.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Hm.  Saturated coffee.  I myself did that once.  Four spoonsful of instant into my coffeecup when I was badly hung over and not fully awake... barely half alive.

Why, you ask? 'Cause making regular coffee took four scoops of ground coffee in the filter basket.  One, two, three, four.  See?  Ethanologic.

Yuch.  Got me half alive instantly.  (Yes, that's a pun.)

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:12:16 PM by 230RN »