Author Topic: So what's available in mid-size 9mm's these days?  (Read 14794 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
So what's available in mid-size 9mm's these days?
« on: May 05, 2012, 08:09:43 PM »
Looking to get a new carry piece for my lovely wife, but I haven't paid attention to new guns in years. She learned to shoot growing up on a Glock 19 and is most comfortable with that platform. Because of that I want to stick with the no safety dao medium size format. But now there are Smith M&P's, Springfield XD's, and dozens more I'm sure that fit the bill.

Any recommendations? Any reason to get something other than a Glock? I admit the ubiquity of spare parts/magazines/holsters etc are good marks in favor of the venerable G19.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Hutch

• friend
Re: So what's available in mid-size 9mm's these days?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:12:36 PM »
Stick with the G19.  No reason to change, you've already made the best choice in medium sized 9mms.  I have 3, because I can't afford 4.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:24:32 PM »
Or, how about the g26 with g19 (or g17) mags for reloads?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 08:26:33 PM »
Stick with the G19.  No reason to change, you've already made the best choice in medium sized 9mms.  I have 3, because I can't afford 4.

Any thoughts on the different generations? I know Gen 4's have adjustable grip sizes, but is there any significant disadvantages of the Gen 1 or 2 vs the 3?

Or, how about the g26 with g19 (or g17) mags for reloads?

I find the G26 too short for comfort, and she does as well. I'm planning on standardizing on one model for the both of us.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »
Looking to get a new carry piece for my lovely wife, but I haven't paid attention to new guns in years. She learned to shoot growing up on a Glock 19 and is most comfortable with that platform. Because of that I want to stick with the no safety dao medium size format. But now there are Smith M&P's, Springfield XD's, and dozens more I'm sure that fit the bill.

Any recommendations? Any reason to get something other than a Glock? I admit the ubiquity of spare parts/magazines/holsters etc are good marks in favor of the venerable G19.

Unless you have a need for, say, a slim single stack gun, why change?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
I owned a 26 and loved it, sold it to buy something I thought I would love more but alas, no.

Never owned a 19 but I've fired a few and they are amazing. accurate, easy to control, easy manual of arms, and reliable (based on what their owners said) as Hell.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 09:16:05 PM »
This is quite a timely thread. I'm looking for a mid-size 9mm too and have been looking at the G19, XDM, M&P9, CZ-75, CZ-85, etc. I've shot the XDM and the G19 gen4, and have played with the G19 gen3 and the M&P9 at the local Gander Mountain. Has Glock ironed out the issues they were having with their gen 4 pistols a couple of years back?

ETA; And there's also the Sig P250 and SP2022 out there now too.
Andy

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:00 PM »
Just to be the iconoclast in this thread, I must mention that you could get a S&W 6906/4 or a 3913/4 and carry it with the safety off.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
I have the Sig 250 and really like it, though the G19 is a great choice, too.  
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
I'm a Glock-a-holic, but if I wanted a light easy carrying gun I'd think about a commander length alloy frame 1911 in 9mm.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »

If you already own G19 gear and accessories, there is no reason to change to another platform. I prefer the M&P series, but you will be well served by either.  None of the guns mentioned here is that much better than the rest that you should sell what you have to buy the other.

XDs and XDms are good enough, but they don't have the same popularity, accessories, and readily available spare parts as the Glock and M&P families.

Sig is making good guns again, but I've never warmed up to them.

The Ruger SR9 gets good reviews, but I have no first-hand knowledge.

There are several single-stack guns on the market, but I think you are better served with extra capacity.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 10:18:32 PM »
I have a G3 Glock 19.  Great piece.  I don't care for where the finger grooves sit, so I've sanded them down.  I will probably, eventually, go with an aftermarket barrel for peace of mind shooting cheap cast lead bullets.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
Just to be clear, we don't currently own any Glocks, that's just what she's most familiar with.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2012, 12:58:26 AM »
Unless she is looking for something easier to pack, stick with the Gastic Plastic Fantastic.  I'd buy a 1/2/3 gen used instead of new, though.

FTR, a 1911 cdr or officer-sized carry easier & lighter with alum alloy frames.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »
Unless she is looking for something easier to pack, stick with the Gastic Plastic Fantastic.  I'd buy a 1/2/3 gen used instead of new, though.

FTR, a 1911 cdr or officer-sized carry easier & lighter with alum alloy frames.

And if we could get one for the price of a used G19 I'd be all over it. :)

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »
Of course, the standard advice is to try as many on for size (etc.) as possible.

That said, I like the XDs and would love an XD-M 3.8, BUT am carrying an M&P because because it has a magazine safety.

While I am not a fan of magazine safeties, I work in a "pistol free zone" in a high car theft area, so I take the magazines with me, leaving the gun locked in my car. With my XD, I felt I also had to remove the chambered round and reload it daily, sometimes more than that, so I was concerned about bullet set-back. With the M&P, I can leave the chambered round in place since it is not fireable without the magazine.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

HForrest

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
Walther PPQ is getting lots of really enthusiastic reviews. Very Glock-like in design, trigger is supposedly excellent. Ergonomics are such that it's been touted as a likely good choice for females (in particular I think the HK/lever style mag releases are easier for a small handed shooter to manipulate with the index finger).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
I have the PPQ in .40, and the trigger really is amazing for a striker fire pistol. Frankly I'm liking it so much that if it came in .45, I would seriously consider it as my main carry piece instead of a 1911. It is the most comfortable and well-fitting gun I've ever shot. Head and shoulders above my Glock 23 for me, but as I've mentioned around here before, I've never been able to shoot a Glock well because they don't "fit" me well. The 23 (I believe it's the .40 version of the 19) has been pretty bulletproof though.

The PPQ comes with three interchangeable backstraps. That being said, I have large hands. Mrs Smith fired it with the small backstrap, and though she really liked the gun, she said it still felt a little too big in her small hands. This from a woman who shoots a full sized M&P 9mm for IPSC, so the PPQ may be a great ergonomic fit for a man, but perhaps not for small hands.

Balog, you might also go to the Faliaphotography site. She does gun and holster reviews geared towards women, and you might get some relevant info on other pistols out there that would work well in a woman's hand.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:22 PM »
How about an HK USP compact 9mm. My carry gun of choice. (only because I can afford a compact 1911)
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
Good stuff, thanks everyone.

They do make M&P's without mag safeties right? Those are a deal killer for me.

Good thoughts on the PPQ, I'll have to check it out. Although the relative newness translates to less aftermarket parts/magazines etc so that's not ideal.

Thanks for the tip Ben, I'll check that website out. Although my wife has long fingers so she's usually ok with about the same range of grip sizes I am.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 02:55:04 PM »
Oh, don't forget the CZ75 compact, both the original version that can do TDA and C&L and the other DA variants like the P-01. 

Also, for an even smaller package, the 2075 RAMIs in alloy or polymer.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

I have always lusted over the CZ75 & CZ90s I have shot.  Accurate little buggers.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 03:29:42 PM »
They do make M&P's without mag safeties right? Those are a deal killer for me.

Yes, I have four of them. No mag safeties, no thumb safeties. All have Apex trigger parts added.

One thing to consider about the full size 9mms: More often than not, you'll get one that groups about 8 inches at 25 yards. If better accuracy is a concern, there are ways to fix that in the M&P. Otherwise, shoot heavy ammo (147g) and hope you get a good pistol.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 04:21:55 PM »
ETA; And there's also the Sig P250 and SP2022 out there now too.

I own a P250 and it is now my carry piece.  VERY comfy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 06:39:27 PM »
Just to be different:

I carry a Sig 2022 pretty much all the time now.  It's completely different from a Glock, but has a great DA trigger, a pretty dang good SA trigger, interchangeable grip panels and is a really nice medium size.  I find mine really easy to shoot well, quickly.  It's a really good service pistol.

And at about $400 it's a really good value.

Of course one has to like DA/SA and good triggers first.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »
I like my SIL's Glock 19.  Nice size and easy to shoot and still takes the 33 round mags.  I don't think you could go wrong with that one.  However, I don't think I have ever seen used Glocks for sale at a reasonable price that stay unsold very long, certainly not in 9mm. 

I have an XDm 3.8 in 9mm with the 19 round mags that I carry a lot.  Very nice gun to shoot and decently accurate despite the shorter barrel.  The grip might be larger for some, but you would have to handle it to be sure for you.  The only safety is the grip safety so very little to worry about there.

I also have a CZ 75 P01 which is I guess a newer version of the compact with a rail.  Mine has the decocker for DA/SA, but not safety.  I like DA/SA in some circumstances, but I am not found of extra safeties.  Works well and is reliable.  It is not polymer which is good to some.

I have heard good things about the M&P's and Ruger SR9's, but haven't fired either in 9mm.  My experience with M&P 40 & 45 is they are good guns, but weren't good enough to keep over my XD's and CZ's that I already have.  

I would mention that I have also fired the FNP 9mm.  This is a cheaper version than the FNX models.  I got mine new for just under $400.  It works great with no jams.  The single action trigger if very good, but the double action trigger sucked big time.  Very long pull and very strong.  I doubt I'll be shooting it much, but I still have it.  It is very concealable so I might find a spot for it.  It just still is not good enough to beat the CZ and XDm IMO.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:30:33 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge