Author Topic: Your favorite cheese?  (Read 8542 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2006, 07:18:26 AM »
When I grew up in Pennsylvania in the late 1970s and early 1980s, you could buy a case of Rocks with a $5 and get change back. It was considered a lower tier beer -- certainly not absolute scut, but nothing more than a local

Then, in the early 1990s, Rolling Rock found a brilliant marketing director who managed to push the beer from lower tier local beer to regional beer and started working on national brand recognition.

I think their true break through came at the 1992 Democratic National Convention. A friend was on the Pennsylvania delegation, and they took Rolling Rock with them as part of "what makes Pennsylvania Pennsylvania," and it was a big hit with other delegations.

Supposedly they went through their 100 cases of Rock in 2 days and had to truck more to the convention.

Now Rolling Rock is priced with the upper tier American beers and lower tier imports.

It's out of its freaking league.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2006, 07:24:29 AM »
Yuengling beer is far superior to Rolling Rock for Penn brewed beer.  Just wish they distributed it here.

Maybe I can get a trade of a case of Leinenkugels for a case of Yuengling.

edit.. checked Leine's website and they distribute out east now.. turds..
So much for my plan.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2006, 07:27:48 AM »
I HATE Yuengling.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2006, 07:30:29 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
I HATE Yuengling.
Good more Yuengling for me.

I like Genesse Beer too, especially Genny Cream Ale. Can't get it here either.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2006, 07:33:33 AM »
No problem. I'll piss in a bottle, add some molasses, and send it off to you. I doubt if you'll be able to tell the difference. Smiley

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2006, 07:39:04 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
No problem. I'll piss in a bottle, add some molasses, and send it off to you. I doubt if you'll be able to tell the difference. Smiley
Kind of how I feel about Leinenkugels Original too. I like their other brews though.

I think my dislike of Leine's from 7.99 cases of bottles while in college. I wish I could find the picture I have of our fridge at my fraternity house completely full of Leine's bottle. Stacked double deep and the shelves removed. I think we got like 20 cases shoved in that thing. Its a beautiful picture of beer storage management.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2006, 07:41:21 AM »
Charby,
Thanks for the link to Maytag Farms. I'll be ordering one of their gift boxes soon. One with blue, swiss, cheddar and edam. Yumm - Yuuuuummmmmm!

Got any other links. I really love camenbert but the good stuff is so hard to find...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2006, 07:46:02 AM »
I've only had Maytag's blue cheese and white cheddar. I'm not a fan of white cheddar, so can't give an opinion on it.

Not sure about the camembert, I only eat it when it available at parties. I see it all the time at local grocery stores, but our grocery stores have a nice cheese selection.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

grislyatoms

• friends
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2006, 09:22:43 AM »
Some kind of smoked cheese my Grandad used to keep around all the time. Don't know what it was called or who made it, oh well. Anyone else ever had a good, smoked cheese?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2006, 09:42:26 AM »
smoked gouda is some yummy stuff

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2006, 09:55:14 AM »
"Anyone else ever had a good, smoked cheese?"

The agricultural and food sciences colleges at Penn State University have a dairy on campus. Their ice cream is famous throughout Pennsylvania, and their cheese is well known.

They have a smoked cheddar that is really quite excellent.

All of it is, I believe, made from the milk from cows owned by the University.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2006, 05:12:58 PM »
That would be more Yuengling for us, Charby.  

I HATE Yuengling.
Interesting contrast in tastes.  I discovered Yuengling in Florida, and it's my favorite, especially with oysters and buffalo wings.  Nice clean finish, minimal bite.  Then again, I'm not a big fan of Rolling Rock, but with my wife's previous job at a beer distributor, I got to try whatever they sold, plus some that didn't make the market.  Shiner Bock is another favorite since I spent too many months on assignment in Texas.  However, God have mercy on the soul of the person who came up with Coors Aspen Edge.  

I'm getting pleasantly re-acquainted with Leinenkugel's, myself, after moving back to CheeseLand last month.  I plan on trying all my childhood beers again, including Hamm's, Schlitz, Blatz, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Old Style, Heileman's Special Export, and of course, the entire Leinie's list.  I've already discovered New Glarus Spotted Cow, very nice once you get over the cloudiness of the unpasteurized product.

My grandfather and dad were always really big on Limburger.  They'd slice thick chunks of it and melt it on hamburgers on the grill while the rest of us did a medium cheddar.  I certainly hope the flavor was worth it!

Speaking of all things Pennsylvania, I'll wager Mike likes fried scrapple with some maple syrup on top...  (something my Pennsylvania Dutch roommate introduced me to many years ago)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2006, 08:55:49 PM »
Hamms...

Horrid, horrid beer. I can drink almost any beer if it's cold enough. I had ice crystals floating in my Hamms, and it still sucked.

I'm not a big fan of scrapple, unless I see it made. FAR too many ways for that stuff to go wrong otherwise, which also explains why I'm not all that big on hot dogs.

And I don't like maple syrup on it. I like it on toast, with an over easy egg on it, and ketchup for dipping.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 12:58:41 AM »
What's acutally in scrapple?

I like Yuengling but it gives me a headache if I drink too many. I was introduced at my 25th HS reunion. I had a headache the next day. Tongue
Avoid cliches like the plague!

stevelyn

• friend
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »
Cheeses: Sharp Cheddar and Swiss. Blue cheese on occassion.

Hamm's. Horrid, horrid beer.
Betcha formaldihyde fueled Olympia (or Oly Pop as it's known locally) is worse. :gag: :barf:

I like Silver Gulch brewed locally in Fairbanks. www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/main.html" target="_blank">www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/main.html
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2006, 02:32:50 PM »
Quote from: stevelyn
Cheeses: Sharp Cheddar and Swiss. Blue cheese on occassion.

Hamm's. Horrid, horrid beer.
Betcha formaldihyde fueled Olympia (or Oly Pop as it's known locally) is worse. :gag: :barf:

I like Silver Gulch brewed locally in Fairbanks. www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/main.html" target="_blank">www.ptialaska.net/~gbrady/pages/main.html
Yep! But the worst of all is Carling Black Label. Wanna know how bad. When I was on the USS Dewey DDG-45 we pulled into Lagos, Nigeria. The local Embassy Marines had about 400 cases of the stuff they generously sold to our ship. Loaded it onto a barge and everything. The captain said hit the barge and drink all you want. Everyone but the watch hit that barge. In about 15 minutes most of the crew had abandoned the barge and after 30 minutes it was empty Except for about 385 unopened cases of CBL. Now sailors can drink anything but we couldn't stomach that crap! The marines had a good laugh, the ship was out about a thousand bucks but all in all (except for the revolution going on at the time and that horrible, horrible beer) it didn't turn out to be a bad week.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

mfree

• friend
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2006, 04:06:08 PM »
Boursin Gourney. If I'm not careful I'll eat the entire ($3.50!!) little tin.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2006, 05:14:59 PM »
What's acutally in scrapple?
Basically, the part of the pig that went over the fence last.  

From Wikipedia:

Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, eyes, heart, liver, bladder, and other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned, and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, and others, are added. The mush is cast into loaves, and allowed to cool thoroughly until gelled. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.
My former roommate served it with maple syrup and a side of eggs for breakfast.  

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

mtnbkr

• friend
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2006, 05:37:50 PM »
Even though I know it's not good for ya and is made from the parts not good enough to get into sausage, I love scrapple.  My favorite heart attack inducing method of consumption is to slice a couple slices about 1/3" thick, fry them on both sides (but leave the center soft), slap them on some soft white bread with cheese, mayo, and a fried egg.  Wash down with coffee or beer.  Mmmm, yummy.  It's one of my favorite deer camp breakfasts.

Chris

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »
Sounds like one of those foods I should have tried before asking what it was...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2006, 04:20:48 AM »
Olymipa Beer has to be the worst tasting beer ever, open a can and you get a whiff of what smells like dog piss.

New Glarus's Brewing company's Spotted Cow. Oh hell yeah, that is some damn tasty beer in a bottle. When I go camping up by the IA/WI border we run over to Prairie Du Chen and pick up some for the trip. Used to get Point beer too, but we can buy that here in Iowa now. Point isn't a bad beer either, I think it was just the cool factor we were drinking beer that you can't get in Iowa at the time.

The best part of the WI beer run was getting the beer at Starks, Only place I know where you can purchase a firearm, ammo, liquor, cheese, beer and a boat in the same purchase.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 05:39:14 AM »
When I was butchering regularly with friends we'd make scrapple.

The eyes and bladder NEVER went in, nor did the lungs, pancreas, stomach, or kidneys. They went out. The liver and heart did go in..

The head was split, the eyes and brain removed, and then it was boiled.

You've never seen anything quite like 10 pig heads in a cauldron. You've never smelled anything like it, either.

We also divided the scrapple into two types, corn meal and oatmeal.

You can have all my scrapple, Chris.

Actually, scrapple isn't all that hard to make, and if you do it right, you can make it fairly healthy by using lean pork.

I may have to give it a try.

mtnbkr

• friend
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2006, 06:14:22 AM »
Could be good.  I'm intrigued by the oatmeal variation...

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2006, 06:24:16 AM »
So basically scrapple is a hot dog not in a casing. Actually it sounds like head cheese.

I can't bash it because I eat chicken gizzards and hearts whenever I can get them and I have eaten smelt and rocky mountain oysters.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Your favorite cheese?
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2006, 06:53:49 AM »
No, a hot dog doesn't have oatmeal or cornmeal in it.

I love chicken hearts and chicken livers.

The gizzards I can do without.

Hey Chris, let me guess...

Michelle won't eat it. Cheesy