Author Topic: Conceal AND Carry  (Read 9317 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Conceal AND Carry
« on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:35 AM »
Why is it conceal AND carry?  I hear a lot of people say that here around Saint Louis.  "Well, since we passed that conceal and carry bill, I've been afraid to go out of the house."  Where did the and come in?  Anybody know?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 11:39:09 AM »
The same place the non-existant middle syllable "LA" in the tri-syllabic pronunciation of the two syllable "Realtor" comes from, I guess...

But seriously, calling it "Conceal and Carry" rather than "Concealed Carry" turns the adjective "Concealed" into a verb (to) "Conceal".

That turns the adjective into an additional action with intent, and tries to make it sinister. Just like when anti-gun newspapers ran with headlines "HIDDEN GUNS DEBATED IN LEGISLATURE TODAY" etc.

It's anti-gunner semantics...
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »
Quote from: AJ Dual
anti-gun newspapers
Redundancy is another of my pet peeves.  Smiley

realtor: realutur
masonry: masonary
Please feel free to add more.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »
Quote from: fistful
Redundancy is another of my pet peeves.  Smiley

realtor: realutur
masonry: masonary
Please feel free to add more.
"Adjetives", those words used to describe nouns, pronounced without the 'c'.  This is my biggest language abuse pet peeve.

"Axe", as in "Axe me a question."

"Our" vs "are"
"There" vs "their" vs "they're"
"Then" vs "than"

My grandfather always answeres the phone by saying "yellow" instead of "hello".

DJJ

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 12:49:19 PM »
"Jew-ler-y" instead of jewelry. And this from a jeweler.

Strings

Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 02:00:40 PM »
My favorite was a kid that always pronounced "weaponry" with a "t": "we-pon-try". I never COULD convince him he was saying it wrong...

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »
Realtor:  I pronounce it "real-ter"
Masonry:  I pronounce it "may-son-ree"
Adjectives:  I kind of pronounce it with the c.
Axe/Ask:  I choose "ask"
Jewelry:  I pronounce it "jewel-ree"
Weaponry:  "Weapon-ree"

"Our" vs "are"
"There" vs "their" vs "they're"
"Then" vs "than"
I know all the differences, and even pronounce them differently. smiley

I think I'm close to right. Grin
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

grampster

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2006, 03:01:04 PM »
Alla the sudden for All of a sudden.

Draw for drawer.

Using the masculine for objects.  ie: May I see you license, sir?  Yep, lemme get him out.  (This particular ascribation makes my skin crawl)

Zink for sink.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 05:49:48 PM »
Don't hardly matter an awful lot, does it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

grampster

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »
Yep, don't hardly.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 06:25:24 PM »
Ten posts so far and no one said nook - u - ler?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 06:45:39 PM »
I'm so accustomed to hearing adjetive, that I assumed that was proper.  Never consulted a dictionary though. 

Of course, dictionaries are sometimes wrong.  My dictionary says "woman" can be an adjective.  This is unacceptable.  "Woman engineer" should be "female engineer."  A woman engineer is someone who designs, builds and/or maintains women.  Sounds like an interesting job.  But you wouldn't say man engineer, man lawyer, man nurse or man cook, unless these people were designing, practicing law about, nursing, or cooking men.

What annoys me lately is that we Americans stress our words all wrong.  PrestEEjis should be PRESTijis.  I'll annoy you all with further examples as they come to mind.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 08:19:20 PM »
Since the British have first claim to the English language, I propose that we use their pronunciations rather than ours.

Of course, us Northerners will have a much harder time learning the correct pronunciations, since Southernors have kept the British language most intact. (My opinion only).

"Of course, dictionaries are sometimes wrong.  My dictionary says "woman" can be an adjective.  This is unacceptable.  "Woman engineer" should be "female engineer."  A woman engineer is someone who designs, builds and/or maintains women.  Sounds like an interesting job."

If you ever run into one of those female engineers, please ask her to call me for input. Wink

Also, if this is the most contentious issue we all face, then we all need real lives.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 08:23:50 PM »
You'd prefer we argue over the legality of aborting the crack babies of illegal immigrants?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2006, 10:51:27 PM »
Fistful, I'm assuming that your last reply was directed at me.

If so, you've very cleverly invited me to debate three entirely separate topics: illegal immigration, illegal drugs, and abortion.

You should run for public office, as most office-holders would lose any debates they would have with you.

However, as this thread is devoted to the use (or misuse) of the King's English, I think that we should take any discussions about illegal immigration or illegal drugs to the threads devoted to those topics.

As for abortion, that is one issue I just don't want to get involved with in online forums, and for reasons that should be obvious (ie, I'm not going to change anyone's mind), selfish (I don't want to spend time trying to change someone's mind), and then reasons that are entirely personal.

Now that all that is aside, I would invite you to visit the South Side of Milwaukee. I don't know where you grew up, but you certainly wouldn't understand English as it is spoken here.

"I went by my ma's house today." No, that doesn't mean that the person speaking just drove past his/her mother's home; it means the person actually went into the mother's home.

"How 'bout dose Packers, eh?" No, this doesn't mean that the person speaking watched the game. Actually, it doesn't even mean that the Green Bay Packers even played a game recently. It's more a form of social greeting. I think the British use a phrase more along the lines of, "Good morning."

"Cold enough fer ya?" This is a line you'll generally hear from those whose power didn't get cut out during a blizzard, and who didn't have to thaw out the corpses of their parents or children before autopsies could be conducted.

"Hot enough fer ya?" This line is one you'll hear from guys with 42" waistsbands who insist on wearing Speedo's while well into their 60's. They mow their lawns with pride (not to mention the nausea of their neighbors).

"I'm going down by K-Mart." This is a bad message on many levels. It means that you're going to get cheap underwear that will leave your privates in uncomfortable positions in a matter of days. If the item bought is electrical, keep a fire extinguisher close at hand. (This assumes that the appliance even functions to begin with).

Worse yet is K-Mart's ad slogan, "you can't do better than K-Mart."

Now that's motivation. If that's my future, why not slit my wrists tonight?

"Hey, look at her!" Granted, this is probably a phrase uttered by guys in every country, no matter the language.

On the South Side of Milwaukee, though, it has a slightly different meaning. As in, "hey, look at her! She ain't so ugly."

I know that if Barbara or Trisha read this thread, I'm going to catch hell.

But it's the truth: the people on the South Side of Milwaukee are ugly. If Hizzoner the Mayor gets his way, we may soon see issuance of shampoo as one of the city's social programs.

I often see some handsome Juan Valdez-style mustaches. Problem is, they're on the women.

None of this is to say that I'm in any way good-looking. I resemble the southbound end of a northbound horse.

But, the South Side of Milwaukee is still a mix of cultures and languages.

I just wish the predominent language could be English.

Verste?

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 03:27:33 AM »
Monkeylegger, YOU would be the more successful politician.  You did a good job of dodging the issues, there.  I would be a terrible politician, as I would bring up controversial subjects even when I don't have to.

Like now.  Despite my high respect for the value of life, abortion may be a necessary measure to control the population of the people you describe.  Smiley

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 04:11:41 AM »
Sangwich
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Stand_watie

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 04:17:21 AM »
Maybe somebody said this already, but I had taken the to distinguish the legal nuance between a permit to "carry concealed" (as opposed to openly, which was [at least technically, if not practically] legal in some states, vs a permit to "carry with the requirement that the weapon be concealed" in states that generally did not permit carry at all before the passing of the law.

Here in Texas folks frequently say "CCW" when it's actually called a "Concealed Handgun License".
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 04:30:40 AM »
Quote from: fistful
What annoys me lately is that we Americans stress our words all wrong.  PrestEEjis should be PRESTijis.  I'll annoy you all with further examples as they come to mind.
Ooooh!  Another one.  

irreVOCable should be irREVocable.

irreFUTable should be irREFutable.

grampster

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »
Samwich

Pennsylvania Dutch for "Come to dinner".  -- Ma and Pa are on the table and half 'et already.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2006, 04:49:14 AM »
Where I grew up in SE Iowa we add R's to words and drop g's

examples

Washington is pronounched Warshington, "I'm going to go warsh my hands."

Runining is Runnin

my home town is Burlington but pronouced Burlin-ton
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2006, 05:01:08 AM »
Grampster:  You mean they put Pa and Ma on the table and ate half of them?  Does this happen often up there?

Charby:  That's popular around St. Louis, too.  Also, we don't have corporations here.  We have carparations.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2006, 05:32:46 AM »
Where does the ignorance come from?  My answer is a synthesis of inbreeding, laziness and illiteracy.

The next time you hear "conceal and carry" ask the speaker about his bloodline, education and employment.  I believe it will clear things up for you.

charby, where does your Senator get that pronounciation of "national"?  He keeps pronouncing it "naaayyy-shun-nul" on NPR.  It is slowly driving me insane.

Good luck tracking the source.  I am still e-mailing professors in the South about the mispronounciation of my first name.  My name is Kirk, however I receive mail addressed to "Kirt".  I could understand "Kurt" or "Curt", but am at a loss over "Kirt".  

Most likely these people have never known any "Kirk"s as it is a noble and glorious name reserved for only those of an aristocratic nature.  These people see my name in print but cannot comprehend a "Kirk" but only "Kurt" so mash the names together.  At least, this is my working theory.Cheesy
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2006, 05:33:24 AM »
which senator?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 05:47:21 AM »
Grassley.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.