Author Topic: Conceal AND Carry  (Read 9319 times)

Marnoot

• friend
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2006, 06:55:28 AM »
My problem with current language usage is not with evolution of words, it's with degredation of grammar and sayings to the point that much of what some people say doesn't make sense. Iain's example of "could care less" vs. "couldn't care less" being a prime example. I am slightly annoyed at big jumps in meaning, gay vs. gay for example, but gradual definition drift is natural and really doesn't bother me much.

Prime example being a thread a few months back on THR, where a poster was absolutely wigging out because people were using the word "shrapnel" in it's common usage of flying bits of metal and other material following an explosion, etc., rather than it's original usage of "An artillery shell filled with lead balls and a small bursting charge in the base that propelled the balls forward, invented by Henry Shrapnel." I just wanted to tell him to CALM DOWN; words evolve.

I tend to agree with something a poster (can't remember who) said some time ago on THR, paraphrasing: "At some point really bad Latin become really good Italian." Thus it is with any language, they change.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Conceal AND Carry
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2006, 07:34:22 AM »
Quote from: Keith Wheeler
Language is constantly changing.  Should we throw out "thug" or "boondocks" because those aren't proper English words?  Should I argue with the current meaning of "prosylete" and suggest that we go back to the original meaning, a Greek who converted to Judaism, simply because I'm a Jew and don't agree with Christians taking over "our" term?  Language is always changing.  The meaning of words constantly changing -- mouse, menu, keyboard...just what are these things?  How about hacking?  Is that something you do with an axe, or is an axe something a fellow from a rock band plays?
No argument that the language changes, and well it should.  But to say there is no differentiating between good and bad change is disingenuous.  No one actually believes that, no matter how eloquently they may state it.

English-speaking people are prone to adopt words from other languages, so that is par for the course.  Having more than one use for a word is fine, too.  I'm not complaining that gay or queer have additional meanings, but that those meanings have completely taken over any other meaning.  What is bothersome is that it symbolizes that our society has lost any moral sense, and given in to the demands of a few people with bizzare and unwholesome practices.  We have let them taint everything from common words to the very healthy concept of close friendships with the same sex, and even the arts.  Now, it has become "reasonable" to pretend that homosexual relationships are equivalent to an actual marriage, and to involve government in recognizing them.  Even though such "reasonable" people would howl in protest at government recognition or support for other private, sexual unions.  (Marriage is neither private, nor purely sexual.)

Boy, this thread has wandered far.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife