Author Topic: Obamacare is "constitutional"  (Read 29496 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: Obamacare is "constitutional"
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 07:04:55 PM »
what happened to the clause in the healthcare bill that said essentially "if any part of this bill is found to be unconstitutional, then the whole law will be revoked."?  was that the only part removed by the court?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

birdman

• friend
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 07:13:08 PM »
Hmm...neato.  If I decline employer coverage (meaning they would give me cash instead), and pay the fine, and then sign up for insurance if something happens, I can actually take home more money.  Word.

And I bet my company (who is self-insured) would REALLY rather pay $2k a person than pay what we do for insurance now.  

Everyone is so boned.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 07:22:44 PM »
My health insurance costs have already increased dramatically. Dramatically.

what happened to the clause in the healthcare bill that said essentially "if any part of this bill is found to be unconstitutional, then the whole law will be revoked."?  was that the only part removed by the court?

I believe it was the other way 'round. A law is not "severable" unless it specifically says so. Here's an article about it:

http://blog.law.cornell.edu/healthcarecases/2012/03/12/severability-preview-national-federation-of-independent-business-v-sebelius-11-393-and-florida-v-department-of-health-and-human-services-11-400/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
Wait, it's worse than that.
An employer only pays a penalty of $2k on each uninsured, AND subsidized (AGI below $88k for a family of 4) employee.  

So, let's say a company is a large defense contractor with 50k employees, where the median salary is in the 70-80k range.  That means if they didn't offer any insurance, it would cost them $50M a year in penalties.

Considering most companies (like the one above) will give you about $3-4k a year for not using their insurance, we can make the assumption they spend about $150-200M for that benefit (they are self-insured).

And the employee contribution for a family of 4 is about $4-5k/yr

So the company could realize a net profit of. $100-150M by simply not offering insurance anymore.  

Now that unsubsidized $88k for a family of 4 household has to buy insurance (kaiser quotes $11k annually) and gets ROYALLY SCREWED.  

Or, they could simply pay their own penalty, $2k/yr at that income level, pocket the $2-3k difference between their current contribution and the penalty, use that for day-to-day medical stuff, and just sign up, use, and cancell, insurance if they need it.  In that case, the insurance company gets royally screwed, and goes out of business.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 07:27:28 PM »
Listening to Mark Levin and what he says does nothing calm my fears of a national lurch into corporatism (aka fascism).  Levin said 4 count'em 4 justices were prepared to kill the entire legislation based on the commerce clause and individual mandate.  All Roberts had to do was agree and Obamacare was a bad dream.  Instead Roberts resorts to an argument that was not even debated during hearings.  Roberts argumentation portends really bad things in the future. 

The whole unfortunate episode reminds me of a quotation by Carroll Quigley in "Hope and Tragedy"
The argument that the two parties should represent opposed ideals and policies, one, perhaps, of the Right and the other of the Left, is a foolish idea acceptable only to the doctrinaire and academic thinkers. Instead, the two parties should be almost identical, so that the American people can "throw the rascals out" at any election without leading to any profound or extreme shifts in policy.

http://www.dailypaul.com/62900/carroll-quigley-quote-on-the-two-party-system 

Roberts was a republican appointment.  He was to serve as a restraint on an outta control liberal court and he turns out to be the very thing he was supposed to counteract.

I think we as a society have just slipped the collar around our own necks and hooked the leash to it.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2012, 12:36:25 AM »
The USA has been in a unrecoverable death spiral for a while. SCOTUS just eased the nose over a little further and advanced the throttles a little. In the long run it won't make that much difference other than maybe speeding up the final collapse.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »

Been doing a little reading.  Well, okay, maybe more than a little.

There seem to be some subtleties to this decision that take a little time to sink in.

Do some reading, guys.

I'm not a big fan of the word "nuanced" but it's clear there's more to Roberts' play than initially meets the eye.

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2012, 06:59:30 AM »
Chief Justice Roberts wrote in the opinion:
“We possess neither the expertise nor the prerogative to make policy judgments. Those decisions are entrusted to our Nation’s elected leaders, who can be thrown out of office if the people disagree with them. It is not our job to protect the people from the consequences of their political choices."
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:46:10 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:03 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the word "nuanced" but it's clear there's more to Roberts' play than initially meets the eye.

Roberts' job isn't supposed to be "nuanced"....it's to decide if a law is constitutional or not. And he & the other four failed miserably.

The states may be the last hope to stop this thing....

http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-governors-vow-to-ignore-obamacare/article/2500862
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
I don't understand all the specific details, but my employer went through the bill and decided to eliminate retiree medical coverage, even for current retirees, the reason cited being Obamacare. Claimed it would sharply increase costs.

Now there's a complicated plan in place whereby pre-retirees accumulate some cash in an account which will help them buy coverage should they retire before they're Medicare eligible, and some sort of continuing cash subsidy which will help them pay for coverage under the health care exchanges which may eventually be implemented.

It's all about as clear as mud right now.

Obama repeatedly insisted the mandate and fine were NOT A TAX. SCOTUS majority said it WAS a tax.

Doesn't that mean we now have a SCOTUS majority that has determined - formally determined! - that Obama is a LIAR?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2012, 12:29:28 PM »

Doesn't that mean we now have a SCOTUS majority that has determined - formally determined! - that Obama is a LIAR?

If you need a court to tell you that a politician is a liar, we are in trouble.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2012, 01:42:53 PM »
Been doing a little reading.  Well, okay, maybe more than a little.

There seem to be some subtleties to this decision that take a little time to sink in.

Do some reading, guys.

I'm in the camp that Roberts indeed was playing "chess" rather than "checkers" with his decision, renaming the penalties as what they were, a tax, and laying precedent to potentially do some major rollback of the stretching the ICC has taken over the past century.

However, the other thing he thinks he "won", namely the stability and the sanctity of the SCOTUS in terms of politicization, flip-flopping, and separation/equality of the trimutive of the fed.gov branches, but unfortunately, what he was fighting for was already long gone. And it's disturbingly naive of him to think the activist/Left would ever respect what he did, should they ever get the majority back on the bench.

That said, the ICC alone was too high a price.
I promise not to duck.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
Wait, it's worse than that.
An employer only pays a penalty of $2k on each uninsured, AND subsidized (AGI below $88k for a family of 4) employee.  

So, let's say a company is a large defense contractor with 50k employees, where the median salary is in the 70-80k range.  That means if they didn't offer any insurance, it would cost them $50M a year in penalties.

Considering most companies (like the one above) will give you about $3-4k a year for not using their insurance, we can make the assumption they spend about $150-200M for that benefit (they are self-insured).

And the employee contribution for a family of 4 is about $4-5k/yr

So the company could realize a net profit of. $100-150M by simply not offering insurance anymore.  

Now that unsubsidized $88k for a family of 4 household has to buy insurance (kaiser quotes $11k annually) and gets ROYALLY SCREWED.  

Or, they could simply pay their own penalty, $2k/yr at that income level, pocket the $2-3k difference between their current contribution and the penalty, use that for day-to-day medical stuff, and just sign up, use, and cancell, insurance if they need it.  In that case, the insurance company gets royally screwed, and goes out of business.

And when there are no more insurance companies, raise the penaly to 10k per person and them offer Gov't insurance at 9k a year.....

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2012, 02:14:43 PM »
Nuance is fine--when you still have an honest social contract.  We don't.  There is no social contract when one side is applying reason and the other side is applying a hammer.  This will be resolved the way all great historical disputes have been.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2012, 02:19:02 PM »
http://www.salon.com/2012/06/28/did_john_roberts_switch_his_vote/

It is impossible for a lawyer to read even the first few pages of the dissent without coming away with the impression that this is a majority opinion that at the last moment lost its fifth vote. Its structure and tone are those of a winning coalition, not that of the losing side in the most controversial Supreme Court case in many years. But when we get to Page 13, far more conclusive evidence appears:  No less than 15 times in the space of the next few pages, the dissent refers to Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s concurring opinion as “Justice Ginsburg’s dissent.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2012, 03:03:58 PM »
He saved ACA--and, for now, Obama--at the expense of the Constitution.  That will be Roberts' "great legacy."
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2012, 03:14:52 PM »
This really is a turning point in constitutional law. I have had a hard time articulating why, but this op-ed came close.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/29/opinion/a-confused-opinion.html
As a matter of constitutional text, legal history and logic, the power to regulate commerce and the power to tax should not be separated. It is not good for the court or the country that the chief justice’s position in such an important case is confused at its core...

taxation and regulation are close substitutes, so a limitation on one power matters little if the other power is still available. There is no practical difference between ordering an action, and taxing or fining people who don’t do that same thing. If the Constitution limits direct federal powers, it must also limit Congress’s indirect power of taxation.

In his opinion, Chief Justice Roberts didn’t come to grips with the two critical early Supreme Court cases that set out the relationship between the powers of regulation and taxation — a relationship that survived the New Deal revolution in understanding the Commerce Clause....Wickard expanded the scope of federal power, but it did nothing to upset the constitutional parity between the taxing and commerce powers...If direct regulation is beyond the scope of the Commerce Clause (as [Roberts] held), then taxation as an indirect route to the same regulation should be off limits as well (as he failed to hold).

That's right folks, as bad as Wickard.., Raich..., etc are, at least, until this point, the feds couldn't blatantly use taxation as an end-run around what's left of the commerce clause.

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
I wonder what happens if a people come to the conclusion that there is no hope of positive change via the institutions they are supposed to respect. 
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
Waidaminute...  ???

TAX bills can't originate in the Senate, (Article 7 Sec 1, of the Constitution) which is where the ACA started... And Roberts just made the ACA a "tax bill" in effect. And may be an additional reason Obama and the Democrats were so adamant any fees or fines in the ACA weren't "taxes".

Did he just massively troll the liberal justices, and set this up for repeal anyway?

I'm skeptical of all the "ZOMG HE OUT-THOUGHT EVERYONE!" spin many conservative pundits and bloggers are now throwing around, but reading through the decision, there's so much more WTF'ery in there that it's making me start to wonder if they're somewhat right...  

ETA... never mind. ACA did "start" in the Senate, but what they did was take some House appropriations bill about housing allowances for .mil families, gut it, and then stuff the ACA "into" it.  :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:42:42 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2012, 04:24:11 PM »
Yep appropriation "shell bills" that start in the House, but are completely re-purposed by the Senate is the de-facto compromise, because since the 17th Amendment, the Senators are also directly elected, and therefore also represent "the people" about as much as the House does.  :facepalm:

I was just kind of hoping they'd screwed this one up somehow just as they did by forgetting the severability clause.
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
Commerce Clause logic is dictum, Tax Clause logic is precedent. I agree Roberts was trying to play cute and not get liberals mad at the court while still being conservative, but to say he succeeded is silly wishful thinking on the order of Dean declaring the WI recall a victory for unions.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.