Author Topic: You know those times when all you want is a glass of ice water...  (Read 1353 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
...and there's no ice because the refrigerator has crapped itself during the night? That's all I needed today.  :mad:

The big pool of water from melted ice was a nice touch, too. Nothing like stepping in a mystery puddle first thing in the morning to get you awake and attentive. At least I don't have to worry about it being from pets.

Waiting on the fridge guy now.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
Re: You know those times when all you want is a glass of ice water...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »
Hopefully, you won't also be waiting on the new fridge.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 12:39:00 PM »
He's here now. Thinks it's probably just the starter. Functions similar to the contactor on an HVAC unit.

*edit to add*
... and $144 later it's puttering along nicely. Good thing, too. The beer was starting to get warm and that's not right. Can't complain about the expense. Only repair on it ever and it was free to begin with (nice midrange Kenmore SxS I got just for moving it).

Brad
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 01:48:26 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 07:22:19 PM »
nice midrange Kenmore SxS

Sears used to build them like a brick shithouse back in the day. My parents brought a Kenmore side by side back in the late 80s, right about the same time I was born.

27 years later...puttering right along just fine. It will probably outlast Sears, with the way they have been going.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24:12 PM »
A nice glass of ice water is the perfect accompaniment to any ice cream treat.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 06:24:58 AM »
Sears used to build them like a brick shithouse back in the day. My parents brought a Kenmore side by side back in the late 80s, right about the same time I was born.

27 years later...puttering right along just fine. It will probably outlast Sears, with the way they have been going

I'm using a  big Kenmore chest freezer that was bought in '78 and my big upright I bought used in '88 both still freezing right along.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 08:55:44 AM »
Cold, very cold, water?  Yes.  But needing to put ice in a glass of water to make it cold?  Not at home.

I learned at my grandpa's knee about "refrigerator water".  A big (almost a gallon) old jug of water that had its own place in the refrigerator, and was filled almost the last thing at night so it would be cold when he woke up in the morning.  You want a glass of cold water?  Go get the jug and pour yourself one.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:50:33 AM »

27 years later...puttering right along just fine. It will probably outlast Sears, with the way they have been going.

Grandparents had a fridge/freezer of the old school pull-lever-locking-handle variety.  Built like a tank.  They had it in my first memories (it was old then) and my grandma had it when she left the house for the last time some 35 years later.  Probably 50 years of service.

Nowadays, I treat them as (mostly) disposable.  I do not buy side by sides, but only top-freezer deals like they sell for apartments.  They are more space efficient (18cuft top mount ~ 22cuft SxS), can be more energy efficient (though not always are), and definitely are cheaper.  Cheap enough that if you look around, the cost of the average repair call is almost as much as a new unit.  $144 is getting off cheapcheapcheap for a same day repair call.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton