Author Topic: When Liberals Rule the World  (Read 5402 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: When Liberals Rule the World
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 08:34:03 PM »
This ain't the Middle East.

You've got an interesting point about the killing of babies here though...

If every abortion is an act of murder, how do murders committed by Islamic terrorists compare to the number of murders committed by Americans?

It seems to me that you'd be hard pressed to condemn any other society on the planet as brutal, if you believe that Americans are responsible for a million or so murders of babies every year.

Do you really think America is one of the most blood thirsty, baby murdering nations on the planet?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Warren

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2007, 08:41:57 PM »
The thing is if the repugs come apart what then would hold the left together? With no giant monster to slay, no looming threat to keep them huddled together for safety the factions would drift away from one another and start fighting more openly than they do now.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »
Do you really think America is one of the most blood thirsty, baby murdering nations on the planet?

Probably, although I haven't compared the numbers.  We might compare favorably to China.  My remark about the Middle East had to do with the fact that theocracy might be a realistic term to use in discussing politics there, but it's not realistic when discussing various American policies.  As I said, actual theocracy is much more involved than simply writing some laws that have a religious basis.  So, it's another word that is mainly thrown around for shock value. 

If every abortion is an act of murder, how do murders committed by Islamic terrorists compare to the number of murders committed by Americans?

It seems to me that you'd be hard pressed to condemn any other society on the planet as brutal, if you believe that Americans are responsible for a million or so murders of babies every year.

Why should I be hard-pressed?  I oppose infanticide and terrorism wherever they might be found.  Why not?  I practice neither, and I support efforts to eliminate both.     
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2007, 09:14:07 PM »
fistful,

Well, I agree with you on opposing both.  And on the use of the buzzword theocracy.

But I think there's still an issue of classifying abortion this way.  What measures to stop abortion wouldn't be warranted, if it's actually baby murder?  Does the largely complacent US population with regards to the issue mean that Americans will turn a blind eye to baby murder, as long as it's with the mother's consent? 

Just lots of questions about America there, that's all...I brought it up because I think it's a genuinely interesting comparison, not because I was trying to rag on you personally. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »
I lived in San Francisco for years and years.
Once I was called a "breeder" and a "sissy" by a large gay dude...my crime? I was holding hands and walking down the street with a girl rolleyes
Another time a guy wanted to try and kick me off a bus for wearing a NRA hat, I put my hands in my pocket and pulled out a huge folder and my really large grizzly bear pepper spray and said "ok, kick me off the bus"   laugh

But what this writer failed to notice was my very active, very progressive green party friend...who happens to be a very good shot. He loves ipsc! he believes in all sorts of gun control, just not outright bans, my friend is so far left he makes Kerry look like a conservative but even he donated to the NRA because of SF gun control.

You guys do know that the San Francisco Republican Party endorsed the gay marriage Newsome guy for Mayor...don't you?...the green party called Newsome a Nazi!....SF is plain freaking crazy!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2007, 01:23:14 AM »
SS:

Despite the "A-word" being the moral equivalent to murder in many folks' minds, they are content to work the political process for a solution.  Even when the deck is heavily stacked against them, as it has been since 1973, when the Federal judiciary did its level best to take the issue out of the hands of the political branches*.

In a similar vein, the abolitionists did their work, as did the majority of those who fought Jim Crow.  Ditto for RKBA activists.

It is the utopian revolutionary who thinks every injustice in society requires violence of action if redress is not immediately forthcoming.

--------

fistful's point about the overuse of the term, "theocracy" is spot-on.  Those who use it in contemporary political debate in the USA are viewed by me as akin to those who toss out the race card in willy-nilly.  I just assume they have no cogent argument until proven otherwise, as the race/theocracy card is usually the sign of someone who has not thought seriously about the issue or has no sense of proportion.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Eleven Mike

• friends
  • All your desert are belong to us.
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2007, 03:32:13 AM »
I agree about "theocracy."  It's not that there aren't people with a muddled view of the relationship between church and state.  There are some people who are, unwittingly, trying to "shove religion down people's throats."  But theocracy involves a real, substantive role in govt. for the clergy.  Or at least a state religion would have to be involved somehow.  We have neither, here in the U.S., and we're nowhere near it.  And no matter how much W. Bush talks with God, he's still a secular leader, not a high priest/ayatollah/medicine man. 

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2007, 06:31:15 AM »
fistful is technically right, here. But, if you have elected politicians making choices for EVERYONE based on their own INDIVIDUAL ethical code dictated by their INDIVIDUAL religious persuasion, then I think we have a problem and we are right to question to what extent state and church are truly separate. IMO, state ethics should be reduced to a few basic points that virtually everybody can agree upon, and nothing beyond that.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2007, 10:54:07 AM »
But, if you have elected politicians making choices for EVERYONE based on their own INDIVIDUAL ethical code dictated by their INDIVIDUAL religious persuasion, then I think we have a problem and we are right to question to what extent state and church are truly separate.

There is no church involved in that scenario, nor is it a problem. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2007, 11:36:04 AM »
Christians are not necessarily unified on the abortion=murder issue anyway.  I would certainly a oppose a theocracy that tried to mandate everyone believe that.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »
I oppose infanticide and terrorism wherever they might be found.  Why not?  I practice neither, and I support efforts to eliminate both.
And you will never get anywhere in the argument as long as that's your mindset.

Most of us pro-choice folks see abortion (at least until the third trimester) as occurring at a stage where it cannot be called infanticide, murder, or any other term used to denote killing of a human being.  In order to convince us, you'll have to present something more than "the soul enters the embryo at conception" and other such metaphysical, non-falsifiable claims.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2007, 12:21:55 PM »
Seems to me that abortion is a matter for the individuals involved.  Key word, "individuals".  Governments don't do abortions.  People do.

As far as warlike killers, etc., etc., I know of no other country whose leadership has spent as much time, money and effort as ours to minimize collateral damage during official violent military actions.  This is where I see the US (and western Europe in general) as being morally superior to the leadership of other countries.  I particularly see this judgement as apropos to the middle east and Africa.

Back to the "birthrate" thing:  The highest birthrate in the U.S., right now, is among the Catholics.  Latins, remember?  Guess what?  They're Catholic!  And some 12 million (Quien sabe?) are illegals.  I note that illegals are the darlings of the hard core left and the usual-suspect liberals.  For some reason the word "ironic" comes to mind. Cheesy

Art

The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2007, 12:48:22 PM »
Seems to me that abortion is a matter for the individuals involved.
How?

Even though I'm vehemently anti-religion and pro-choice, I recognize that if I accept religious doctrine that souls are created or snatched out of the ether by the embryo at conception, then it is murder, and if the states aren't going to do something about it, that's an equal protection violation that the Feds need to step in and rectify.

And that's why I've had it with trying to be nice to people who believe in non-falsifiable religious doctrine that contradicts, or has the potential to contradict, science.  Or, in other words, my problem is with instances of religion that make factual statements about the physical world.  It's not that I think they're absolutely wrong.  It's simply that I have no reason to believe that they're right.  If I created some religion that dictates that ants have human souls, and propose that people should be charged with murder for killing ants, I'd be insane.  Not because I'd be absolutely wrong -- we don't know much about consciousness, and we have no solid evidence that ants don't, or can't, harbor human souls if souls exist separate from consciousness -- but because history indicates we're more likely than not to make a serious mistake if we turn social policy upside down based on faith.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2007, 01:25:02 PM »

And that's why I've had it with trying to be nice to people who believe in non-falsifiable religious doctrine that contradicts, or has the potential to contradict, science.  Or, in other words, my problem is with instances of religion that make factual statements about the physical world.  It's not that I think they're absolutely wrong.  It's simply that I have no reason to believe that they're right.  If I created some religion that dictates that ants have human souls, and propose that people should be charged with murder for killing ants, I'd be insane.  Not because I'd be absolutely wrong -- we don't know much about consciousness, and we have no solid evidence that ants don't, or can't, harbor human souls if souls exist separate from consciousness -- but because history indicates we're more likely than not to make a serious mistake if we turn social policy upside down based on faith.

But your standard of proof is impossible. Science does not dictate what a living human being is. Science says that we are all just complex carbon chains doing a little dance in the wind.

From what I understand of your post you seem to say that "science must define what is inviolate"; this is contradictory in itself. Science has no definition of why human life should be any more inviolate than an ants'. By that standard, murder of 23year old human has no meaning either.

Don't try to tell me that humans own themselves; according to science a human owns themselves as much as my cat owns herself, or a ant owns itself. There is no distinction for the dance of the carbon chains in the wind. Don't tell me its because we are self aware or are very smart; monkeys and dolphins are self aware and very smart too.

The very definition of why human life and hence property rights are inviolate is by some deep down moral judgement. Pick your religion. Hence all of criminal law depends on this moral judgement.
For this reason, John Locke says that the only religion that cannot be tolerated in a government of the people, is an athiest religion.

In conclusion, strictly speaking, abortion is not a religous debate; rather a debate about exactly when human life begins. It is entirely conceivable (pun intended) for Christianity to say "life begins at birth." It is just a fact of history that the bible strongly indicates that life begins sometime in the womb.

It is legitimate (I use the term loosely) for you to pick your religion so that life begins at birth. It also possible for some to pick a religion that says no one but white men have inviolate being. That doesn't mean we lower the standard of law to match the religion you pick.

Drew
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 02:12:36 PM »
There is no church involved in that scenario, nor is it a problem. 

You will have to expand your position here, fistful. If my interpretation of it is correct, then I must disagree.

If you are an elected leader of a particular religious persuasion and that very religion has a stance on an issue that you must address as an elected leader, rather than a private individual, you will have to be a very very special person indeed to refrain from deciding in accordance with the prescribed stance. Generally people fail in that, because the personal consequences of dissidence are far more frightful to them than the public consequences of swerving the public affairs in a potentially wrong direction. You know, going to Hell, or reincarnating as a vegetable and some such...

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »
Seems to me that abortion is a matter for the individuals involved.  Key word, "individuals".  Governments don't do abortions.  People do.

Yeah, sorry, Art, I think tyme got you there. So long as it is the gov's job to enforce laws and guarantee the rights of the individual, it would not be possible to push it out of the abortion issue exactly because it has not been established that a fetus is not a person. The opposite has not been established either, therein the controversy.

A clearer way to argue your point would be to say that because fetuses are not people, the gov has no standing in the issue. But then fistful will be able to assail your premise (to an impasse).

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2007, 02:35:23 PM »
From what I understand of your post you seem to say that "science must define what is inviolate"; this is contradictory in itself. Science has no definition of why human life should be any more inviolate than an ants'. By that standard, murder of 23year old human has no meaning either.

Scientific results are not inviolate.  It seems to me that you want an inviolate system of faith because you don't want to use (fallible) science to make decisions and then discover later that you're wrong.  In case you haven't noticed, religion can be wrong, too, and it tends to be wrong in ways that science could have prevented, while science is rarely "wrong" in ways that religion could have prevented.  Religion simply ends scientific questioning.

Science doesn't define anything.  It explains.  It explains that most humans (other than psychopaths) have negative emotional reactions to harm to other humans.  It explains that a fertilized egg is fundamentally no different than an unfertilized egg injected with the nucleus of some other ordinary cell.  It explains that for weeks, an embryo has no neurons.  And, unless you *believe* that at some early point, human brains have some fundamentally different capabilities than brains of other mammals, it doesn't make sense to get all ecstatic about the fact that embryos show brain activity at ~5 weeks or that motor neurons start working at 4-5 months.  Every mammal goes through similar stages and I don't see very many of you pro-lifers campaigning for enhanced rights for rats or guinea pigs you're more than willing to let scientists slaughter for the good of human scientific progress.

Deciding what qualifies as a human is perfectly arbitrary, but in order to achieve a balance between the scientific nonsense that a fertilized egg is "special" and the emotional catastrophe of allowing murder of young children, is there a better compromise than the turning point of birth?

My worry is that the religious concept of protected-life-at-conception is abusing our innate emotional reaction against harm to humans and applying it to things that 1) we can barely even see, 2) are not fundamentally distinct from things we don't grant human rights for very practical reasons, and 3) are properly subject to the woman's discretion on whether to carry the embryo/fetus to term, because forcing women to do things has its own serious emotional and sociological consequences.

I'm not even going to approach the discussion of whether a human owns himself.  The concept of ownership is totally philosophical, beyond the realm of science, though it may manifest itself sociologically.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2007, 02:46:28 PM »
The claim that a fertilized egg is special isn't scientific, but that doesn't make it nonsense either.

The fact is, on this issue, you are forced to make a value judgment no matter what you choose, and value judgments aren't scientific.  Doing a biological study of a human embryo does not answer, even remotely, the kind of objection a religious person makes to killing the embryo.

If your problem with being anti-abortion is that it's an unproven judgment about values, you're stuck also concluding that to not say anything about it at all is itself a judgment-namely that it's something not important enough for you to take a stand on with respect to other people.

Religion does not end scientific questioning-it answers a different kind of question that science flatly cannot answer, even in theory. 

I would say the real issue with abortion now is how committed the religious are to maintaining a religious society.  If they aren't, abortion and other traditional areas once considered within the scope of religion will fall by the wayside.  If they are, well...there's lots of work to do. 

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 03:44:56 PM »
The claim that a fertilized egg is special isn't scientific, but that doesn't make it nonsense either.

Would you defend from "harm" an unfertilized ovum injected with a different nucleus in the same way you'd defend a traditional embryo?

The fact is, on this issue, you are forced to make a value judgment no matter what you choose, and value judgments aren't scientific.  Doing a biological study of a human embryo does not answer, even remotely, the kind of objection a religious person makes to killing the embryo.

You claim that I'm being unscientific, but I'm not sure what you mean, besides that I'm not in a lab.  I referenced some well-accepted scientific results.  If you think that my conclusions from them are irrational, please enlighten me.  If you think the science is wrong, you're welcome to try to disprove it, but I think you'll be disappointed.  Otherwise you're simply trying to espouse fanaticism, which is what I think you mean by "the kind of objection a religious person makes to killing the embryo."  It is objection beyond reason.

If it weren't for science, the religious wouldn't even have the concept of an embryo to rally around and get torqued whenever someone "kills" one.

I suspect that the only thing keeping religion from declaring abortion to be "infinite murder" is humankind's discomfort with the concept of infinity.  After all, every person is potentially the progenitor of an unbounded number of descendants.  Why consider only the instant "person" who is killed by the abortion?  The biological reality of infinite descendants does not map well into human consciousness, that's why.  The biological reality of an egg developing into a baby is similarly not easy to conceptualize.  You just throw up your hands and declare human life as beginning at conception.  I at least try to use scientific observations about biology and sociology, and decide how to conceptualize the transition from human cell to human based on that.

Honestly, what kind of evidence would convince you to dispense with the belief that human life begins at conception, if SCNT doesn't?  If human and chimpanzee embryos were identical, and somehow changed DNA after blastula depending on the host mother, would that change your opinion?  If all mammals had identical DNA and simply developed into one or the other through external hormones, would that convince you?  Would you then declare a porcupine embryo a protected human the instant it was implanted in a human mother?
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 05:06:29 PM »
Tyme,

The issue of value judgment is what is not scientific.  Judging that there is some crucial moral similarity (or not) between a human embryo and what someone did to a female ovum is a value judgment.

To answer the first question, whether I would or wouldn't depends on my moral evaluation of the difference between the two, not on some biological criteria that show that they are the same in some respects.

If you think the science is wrong, you're welcome to try to disprove it, but I think you'll be disappointed.  Otherwise you're simply trying to espouse fanaticism, which is what I think you mean by "the kind of objection a religious person makes to killing the embryo."  It is objection beyond reason.

Again, you are missing the objection here.  The point I'm making is that science does not answer a question about what you should or should not defend; "shoulds" and "oughts" and "goods" are not measurable.  That includes shoulds, oughts, and goods that aren't religious in nature-it's a fact, moral evaluation is not something that you can put into a lab and measure.

So when you answer the question of what you would defend, or critique what I would or would not defend, you are not using science or providing anything remotely approaching a "scientific answer."

You just throw up your hands and declare human life as beginning at conception.  I at least try to use scientific observations about biology and sociology, and decide how to conceptualize the transition from human cell to human based on that.

Well, one fundamental problem with this theory is that "human life" is a word, and science does not tell you whether or not an evaluative term is properly applied (unless you've already assumed that the word's definition involves certain criteria that are scientific..in which case, you're back to square one, an unscientific assumption.)

"human life" is a label that implies moral judgment.  You have to think about what the term means before you can test any particular thing to see if fits the definition.   This would be the question we're addressing here-whether it properly applies to a human embryo or not.  Your decision that scientific examination of the development of embryos should inform whether or not we declare "human life" at this stage or that is every bit as arbitrary as saying "human life begins at conception."

My belief that a human embryo is a human being is certainly not scientific-but neither is any claim that it isn't a human being.  It's a decision you make at the level of defining the word, not at the level "evidence of this or that quality."  So all the technical data in the world won't get you anywhere in a discussion with someone who doesn't accept the arbitrary presumption that comparisons to other biological life forms are the only way to define "human life"...and rightly so.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 05:27:38 PM »
Pretty hard to argue with your logic SS.
Thats one of the best examinations of the discussion of religious vs scientific definition of human life I've ever heard.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
"human life" is a label that implies moral judgment. 

And ridiculous statements like that are why you, tyme, are wasting your time with these guys. Belief allows them to play impossible mental gymnastics and define things as they wish, no matter that we are a biological species with distinct genotype and phenotype.

Fine, let me do some definitions too. That dog I saw today is human too. I saw it in his eyes. It is my right to belief it, and so he is so. In fact, if any of you drunken SOBs out there happens to run him over, I will demand a murder conviction for you. Hell, my car is human too. I gave her a girl's name - Kimberly. If any of you murderous SOBs out there totals her, I will demand a murder conviction for you too. Why? Because "human life" is a subjective judgment, and I HAVE JUDGED. Court adjurned. Weggetreten!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 05:44:09 PM »
Back on topic:
Mark Morford is a drooling idiot.  He has written the most outrageous things about virtually everything.  His positions are 100% the opposite of what most of America feels.  He has contempt for Americans and especially those of us in red states.  Piss on him.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliment Sgt Bob

CAnnoneer,

The fact that you're highlighting is only that most people will agree that certain judgments and terms are way out there, not that there's anything "scientific" about defining the term.  I don't see how that addresses the issue of the classification being both unscientific and arbitrary.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 07:45:32 PM »
I oppose infanticide and terrorism wherever they might be found.  Why not?  I practice neither, and I support efforts to eliminate both.
And you will never get anywhere in the argument as long as that's your mindset.

Most of us pro-choice folks see abortion (at least until the third trimester) as occurring at a stage where it cannot be called infanticide, murder, or any other term used to denote killing of a human being.  In order to convince us, you'll have to present something more than "the soul enters the embryo at conception" and other such metaphysical, non-falsifiable claims.

As for your first sentence, I really don't know what you mean by it, but I suspect you may be reading some things into my statement that just aren't there. 

Regarding the rest, I have presented fact-based, objective arguments for the humanity of the fertilized egg, over and over again, on this very forum.  Whether you agree with my arguments or not, they don't revolve around the Bible.  I never - I repeat, never - use the soul or other religious concepts to argue against abortion, unless I am talking to a person who shares my beliefs.  And even then, I'd prefer to stick with the non-religious arguments.  Instead, I have asked pro-abortion apologists to defend their own  metaphysical, non-falsifiable claims that "personhood" begins at some fuzzy point subsequent to fertilization. 

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. 

"human life" is a label that implies moral judgment.
  How?  Isn't "human" the common name for homo sapiens, a species that we can define according to scientific terms?  Surely "life" has a scientific definition.  The fertilized egg meets both criteria, of course.