Author Topic: When Liberals Rule the World  (Read 5426 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
When Liberals Rule the World
« on: April 03, 2007, 04:14:05 AM »
And people complain about Anne Coulter on the right. I'm wondering -- does Sean Penn get his "soiled, bloody  underwear" speeches from this guy, or is this guy getting writing help from Penn?

-----------------------
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2007/03/28/notes032807.DTL

When Liberals Rule The World
Stats say the GOP is dying. But red-staters are breeding like drunken ferrets. Who wins?

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Here's the good news: The Republican party is dying. Slow, painful, twitching, secreting war and intolerance and desperation like a fetid gas, snarling and gagging like Jabba the Hutt being choked by the hard chain of progress and hope and relaxed social mores and an upcoming Generation Next that seems to sense that screaming about gays and women's rights and Muslims and drugs actually doesn't do much to move the human experiment forward in the slightest.

Is this not delicious? Is this not cause for rejoicing? According to Pew Research, the percentage of young 'uns age 18 to 25 (a.k.a. Generation Next) who identify with Republicans has been in steady decline since the early '90s, and now hovers around a meager 35 percent, down from a high of 55 percent in the Reagan-toxic early-90s, and is still dropping, whereas fully 48 percent of 18-to-25-year-olds now lean Democratic ... and rising.

Seems Generation Next tend to be more socially liberal and much less worried about the trembling "sanctity" of the failed nuclear family, and are overall less inclined to align with a particular religion. Indeed, it almost makes you want to weep and sigh and go buy a large grass-fed free-range organic hybrid vibrator.

Ah, but there is a flip side. A counterargument. A dark cloud of righteous bleakness and it looms like a giant synthetic cheesecake-scented Glade PlugIn of potential misery.

It is this: According to another set of data, for the past 30 years or so, conservatives -- particularly those of the right-wing red-state Christian strain -- have been out-breeding liberals by a margin of at least 20 percent, if not far more.

It's true. The reason? Why, God loves babies, of course. White American babies, most especially. Also: issues of space, religion, sexual orientation and, of course, conscience. Or, you know, lack thereof.

One theory goes like this: Libs are generally more socially conscious and hence tend to actually give a modicum of thought to what it means to pop out a brood of children in this modern overstuffed age. Also, many other liberal bohos are (admittedly) happy selfish suckwads who want all the modern booty for themselves and won't want to give up the Ducati and the plasma and the biannual trip to Cinque Terre for the sake of a pod of rug rats and 15 grand a year (each) for private kindergarten. Translation: Libs just aren't procreating like they could/should be.

Conservative Christians, of course, have no such conscience. Among the right-wing God-lovin' set, there is often little real awareness of planetary health or resource abuse or the notion that birth control is actually a very, very good idea indeed, and therefore it's completely natural to worship at the altar of minivans and SUVs and megachurches and massive all-American entitlement and have little qualm about popping out six, seven, 19 gloopy tots to populate the world with frat boys and Ford F-150 buyers and food court managers.

I always assumed it might actually be a good thing that conservatives breed so mindlessly, because all those unhappy neocon kids, all those repressed misled tots grow up and eventually begin to (well, sometimes) think for themselves and ultimately do what any good kid does: rebel against their parents' silly dogma and become a bit more open-minded and hopeful, right?

Not exactly. Apparently, according to the research, four out of five kids actually stick with the political affiliation of their parents, generation after generation, with religious conservatives far more unlikely than their liberal brethren to allow their kids to develop the capacity for independent thought (given how it's so, you know, dangerous to America). Also, one word: homeschooling. I'm just sayin'.

So then, the big question: How can these two major demographics exist at the same time? How can we be enjoying the slow death of the GOP along with an impressive surge in young Democrats, and yet simultaneously be undergoing this quiet toxic swelling in ranks of the army of conservative autobots? The logic breaks down all over.

It seems impossible. Either we are we headed toward a new dawn full of smart social liberalism, perhaps leading to concomitant ideas of peace and tolerance and a newly evolved American identity, or there is another massive group lurking in the shadows, entirely overlooked by Pew Research, a seething army of religious conservatives who are working like a spiritual STD to force us backward once again, much the way the Bush regime brutally reversed decades of social, environmental, fiscal and international progress and made war and isolationism and megachurch evangelicals the lords of the playground for a shocklingly painful blip of time.

Hell, maybe it's both. Maybe what we're getting with these two sets of data is simply a glimpse of the next two major phases of the culture, the next two major swings of the sociopolitical pendulum, in sequence.

In other words, maybe we are indeed headed into a delightful progressive liberal phase, one with the potential to radically, even permanently change the way we view gender and identity and family and even America's role in the world.

But then the sad recoil. The clench, the terror, the loud screeching from all those red-state kids who are being taught right now to despise change and fear alternative views and see anything that's not wrapped in the flag or the Bible or a McDonald's wrapper as evil and dangerous and worthy of derision/elimination.

Or maybe there's another possibility. Perhaps it's something even more wild and delicious and improbable, and we are all, liberal and conservative alike, evolving more toward social progressiveness merely by default, not through social engineering or political maneuvering or reactionary Christian dread but merely as a nearly unconscious by-product of the times. In other words, maybe everyone is trending more progressive and open merely by existing on this planet today, almost despite ourselves.

I know. Completely idiotic. I must be totally drunk.

Option 3 is, of course, the most likely: Both sets of data are full of flaw and misinterpretation and wishful thinking. Neither is completely correct and by the way statistics are for dreamers and acidheads and pollsters and should be thrown over the shoulder, like salt, right before you go back for another Xanax and a beer.

And hence we are, as ever, simply a mad intoxicated mishmash of reactions and beliefs and ideologies, a God-obsessed sex-crazed drug-lovin' sociopolitical train wreck of a country that doesn't really know its ass from a hole in the ground or its God from a burp in the sky.

Personally, I'm going with the new liberal dawn thing. Hell, it doesn't hurt to dream, right?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: When Liberals Rule the World
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 04:22:34 AM »
If "The Big One" ever hits California, you'll see an end to this sort of drivel pretty quick. The hand-wringing leftists will be helpless victims, the heros will be the independent, more rural sorts who come in (with guns on their backs!), and help victims out of the rubble of their McMansions, and you'd see a swing away from the politics of enforced helplessness by ivory tower elitists. Because their towers will have fallen on them, and the "common folk" will be the only sort who can dig them out.

The whole premise of the article begs the question...How are people who are unarmed and get scared when they see a gun going to "rule the world" vs. people that ARE armed?  grin

client32

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 04:35:24 AM »
Let me see if I get this straight.  The only way a kid could have had independent thought is if they grow up to be a liberal?  It makes me think of a used car salesman telling me that if I want to make a smart choice I have to go to his lot where the prices are 10% higher.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 04:51:06 AM »
So now the GOP is dying?  And a few years ago, all the right-wingers were saying the same of the Dem. party. 

Whatever, man.  Gonna go add to the population now. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 05:18:26 AM »
San Francisco is the least child-friendly city in the US.  The stats bear this out as SF having the fewest kids of any major city.

That outcome is not surprising, considering the general (hostile) attitude toward children and their parents exhibited in the column in particular and in the city in general.

Between lack of children and preventable, fatal diseases (AIDS), the lefties in SF will have to rely on conversions and imports to maintain their numbers.  They made thier bed.  Let them sleep in it.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 05:27:14 AM »
"San Francisco is the least child-friendly city in the US.  The stats bear this out as SF having the fewest kids of any major city."

Gee, I wonder why that is...

I heard a rumor once about San Francisco that may explain it...

Nah, no one does that...

Do they?

grin
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 05:28:49 AM »
No, sorry,  the Left is still dying.

The '06 Democrat landslides were caused by two things.

1. While the Mainstream left-of-center media is dying, and the decline still shows no signs of slowing, for now, they still have a majority market share. In the coming completely level and democratic (pun intended) new-media market, political self-selection and narrowcasting will let the American population consume the media of their choice. The ever so slight pressure to the left will finally lift.

We only need endure the MSM for a few more election cycles. In a way '06 was more a referendum on the MSM's ability to steer the public debate as they saw fit (Iraq, obviously), than it was about the Democrats.

2. For over 100 years, no seated second-term President's political party has held on to Congress. If the Democrats didn't win then, when could they? And also keep in mind that the key races that gave both houses to the party were won by running harder to the right than the worthless RINO incumbents.

Hardly a mandate.

And yes, Red-Staters are out-breeding the Blue-Staters. Ever since Roe. V. Wade, abortion has been like negative compound interest against the political left in this country, unions continue to wane, and the MSM keeps shrinking.

Long term, the only thing the Left can hang their hats on is illegal immigration.  If we can cap that, or at least keep them out of the voting pool, the Left is ultimately doomed save for their minor urban fiefdoms.

And another thing, this is more conjecture on my part, but I also think what the author sees as a resurgent awakening on the Left may well just be Right-Libertarians. They're uncomfortable with the Religious-Right for sure, and like their "dirty television shows" and Playboy, but definitely don't like wealth-transfer or anyone coming after their guns either.
I promise not to duck.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
San Francisco type of elitist leftism is a dead end politically, economically, culturally, demographically, ideologically, and spiritually. They already stink of death and decay. It is only a matter of time. The concern to have is that their death throws at the helm of our country do not take us down with them.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 07:14:36 AM »
What the writer fails to understand is that the state of the Republican party isn't because of some "higher ground" taken by the Democrats, but because the Republicans did it to themselves.  He may see all the hammering and construction as progress, but it just means the Left hasn't yet finished building their own gallows.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:28:57 AM »
Wow!  I had forgotten how infantile the Left is.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:06:38 AM »
I also think what the author sees as a resurgent awakening on the Left may well just be Right-Libertarians. They're uncomfortable with the Religious-Right for sure, and like their "dirty television shows" and Playboy, but definitely don't like wealth-transfer or anyone coming after their guns either.

True.  Another thing often overlooked is that much of the dissatisfaction with Bush and with Iraq is coming from the Right.  Even if Righties support the war, they often don't think Bush is prosecuting it strongly enough. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 08:17:58 AM »
Completely idiotic. I must be totally drunk.

Sums it up for me Wink
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:22:26 AM »
The usual question comes to mind.  How many Red-Staters, Conservatives, Republicans, Pro-Lifers or Southern Baptists does this guy know? 

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 08:27:56 AM »
And another thing, this is more conjecture on my part, but I also think what the author sees as a resurgent awakening on the Left may well just be Right-Libertarians. They're uncomfortable with the Religious-Right for sure, and like their "dirty television shows" and Playboy, but definitely don't like wealth-transfer or anyone coming after their guns either.

*raises hand as one* Smiley

And that, I think, is what the hand-wringing left fears most.

People who don't want religiosity shoved down their throats, want the government's fingers out of their wallet, want parents to be parents and take responsibility for their kids, don't want to be protected from themselves...

...and might enjoy drinking a nonfat soy latte while cleaning their AK-47.

It shorts out their tiny, cringing sheeplike brains.  grin

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 10:52:06 AM »
"San Francisco is the least child-friendly city in the US.  The stats bear this out as SF having the fewest kids of any major city."

Gee, I wonder why that is...
I heard a rumor once about San Francisco that may explain it...

If only colons and tonsils could get pregnant...  grin
Some of them must be lacking the LOV gene.  grin

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 01:33:27 PM »
Why is the far left always so obsessed with little ol' Christians?  To hear 'em speak you'd think Christians like to put small children in blenders or something.

Cramming religiosity down their throats?  Gimme a break.  At "wost", all Christians want is to keep unborn babies alive and make sure that marriage stays marriage.  And maybe make sure that children aren't exposed to sex too early.

And egads, man.  The far leftist could teach Christians a thing or two (or three, or four) about cramming their beliefs down peoples' throats...

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 01:40:54 PM »
a God-obsessed sex-crazed drug-lovin' sociopolitical train wreck of a country

And they say you can't have it all....I love America!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »
At wost, all Christians want is to keep unborn babies alive and make sure that marriage stays marriage.  And maybe make sure that children aren't exposed to sex too early.

Yes.  At worst.   smiley

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 01:52:30 PM »
Anyone religious is scary and weird to these types.  It must make the author uncomfortable to see anyone else actually believe in something that he can't control.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 02:55:07 PM »
I live in the Seattle area and am used to reading liberal drivel, but it still shocks me to think that column actually got published.  Someone with such an angry, warped view of mainstream America will never rule the world. 
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 03:24:40 PM »
Yeah, sure.

People who don't want religiosity shoved down their throats,

Ya' know, I tried to start a Lutheran Jihad, really.  Didn't get very far, after coffee and cookies that Sunday morning, everybody wanted to go home to watch football and have a nap. I'll try harder next Sunday, ok?  There must be some way I can shove religion down somebody's throat, since it seems to be a rampant trend these days.  rolleyes
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 05:13:50 PM »
I know. Completely idiotic. I must be totally drunk.

Just when I was beginning to think the "article" was a classic case of too much beer on the cheerios, the "author" settles the matter in short order.

I just had a hunch.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 05:32:34 PM »

Cramming religiosity down their throats?  Gimme a break.  At "wost", all Christians want is to keep unborn babies alive and make sure that marriage stays marriage.  And maybe make sure that children aren't exposed to sex too early.

1. Are you volunteering to feed them? How about rape and incest? I feel it's a really personal issue, IMO. And often complicated.
2. WHY do you care? Does it affect your marriage? Why should it? It doesn't affect me at all. It's their life.
3. That's the job of parents, not theocratic statists. And that's what I'm afraid too many become.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 05:40:38 PM »
Since the far left seems to excoriate anything or anybody that represents or has a value system or a belief system that goes beyond value neutrality or tends to accept that right and wrong might just exist, makes me wonder whether they doubt their own existence.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 08:25:31 PM »
1. Are you volunteering to feed them? How about rape and incest? I feel it's a really personal issue, IMO. And often complicated.

So, when I say someone shouldn't be murdered, I'm now obligated to feed them?  What about rape and incest?  We should kill kids because Daddy was a rapist or a close relative of Mommy?  Personal, complicated?  Since when do we let people decide to kill one another because the issues are personal and complicated?  Why can't you answer these questions yourself?  They're not hard. 

2. WHY do you care? Does it affect your marriage? Why should it? It doesn't affect me at all. It's their life.
  Then why do you want your govt. to recognize it?  Keep it in the bedroom. 

3. That's the job of parents, not theocratic statists. And that's what I'm afraid too many become.
  Yes, it should be up to parents, not schools, which is probably what HTG was talking about.  In any case, a few moralistic laws do not a theocracy make.  "Theocracy" is mainly a bugaboo word that is best avoided in these discussions.  This ain't the Middle East.