Author Topic: Bears in the woods  (Read 6448 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Bears in the woods
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »

Just rack the slide. It will scare the grizzlies away!

=D  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2013, 11:22:55 PM »
I actually never saw a grizzly during my two year sojourn.  But one time three of us were hiking down off of a pass, and going through that thick brush between tundra and timber we were following dinner plate size bear tracks in the soft trail.  You couldn't see ten feet in front of you and less to the sides in most of that stretch.  I was the "gun guy" of the trio, so I got to take point with the shotgun.  Being safety concious, I kept the chamber empty and figured I could rack the slide.

Looking back, I was an idiot  :facepalm:  I should have had one in the pipe and the safety off with my finger outside the trigger guard.  That's the only way that I would have had even a chance of getting a shot off at a bear in that thicket.  ;/ 

Yeah, that's the time to have whatever you have in hand. In that situation, making noise, I'm going to assume the bear that didn't want trouble already left so I'll be holding the gun.

Spray to me is more of a "you see the bear a ways off and it casually decides to get closer than you are comfortable after you do the make noise and look big tactics" deterrant.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:14:58 AM »
Grizzly's are scary when they are upset- they are so fast and fluid over rough ground.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 09:57:12 AM »
Spray to me is more of a "you see the bear a ways off and it casually decides to get closer than you are comfortable after you do the make noise and look big tactics" deterrant.

Right!  Which to me means that for 95% of successful uses of bear spray, there was never any danger to begin with.  ;/

That's why I put no faith at all in these so-called "statistics"  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 10:06:49 AM »
Right!  Which to me means that for 95% of successful uses of bear spray, there was never any danger to begin with.  ;/

That's why I put no faith at all in these so-called "statistics"  =(

I'd venture a guess that in most of the attacks (where the bear is successful), neither option would have prevented the attack.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:59 AM »
I'd venture a guess that in most of the attacks (where the bear is successful), neither option would have prevented the attack.

Often just not enough time to do anything  =(