Author Topic: Bears in the woods  (Read 6511 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Bears in the woods
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
http://www.backpacker.com/february-march-2013the-truth-about-bears-the-skills/survival/17302

From the article:

Put your trust in bear spray. The efficacy of spray vs. guns was the subject of my most recent paper [published last year in the The Journal of Wildlife Management]. Out of 133 encounters involving bear spray, only three people suffered injuries, which were all minor. But I found 269 incidences of gun defenses—with 17 dead people and hundreds of dead bears.

If you shoot a grizzly in the Lower 48, you’re moron of the year. Most states require you to hike out the carcass, and in some cases you’ll have to pay fines [for shooting an endangered species]. Those problems go away with bear spray. Plus, you can use bear spray with impunity—and with positive benefits for bear and human alike. A bear spritzed with pepper spray gets a good spanking—“Hey! These creatures are like skunks. Screw it, I’m outta here!”—and you’re positively conditioning it to associate that lesson with future hikers.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Bears in the woods
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:33:53 AM »
[scratches head] Hundreds of dead bears, eh? Sounds like these gun things usually work.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:47:12 AM »
Are gun defenses hikers only? Hunters more often than not walk off, rather than on trails, and try to be quiet. Also, if hunters are dressing a fresh kill or something, they are more likely to be unaware of a hungry bear, and if aware at the last second, are going to reach for the gun they already have with them. They may not get it in position to even get a shot off. Does the research count only those gun encounters where shots were fired, or all encounters where a gun was present?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »
Out of 133 encounters involving bear spray, only three people suffered injuries, which were all minor

That they know of...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
Wasn't there a joke about bear spray that wound up that Grizzly Bear scat is identified by a strong pepper spray odor and the presence of bells or something? ???
Are gun defenses hikers only? Hunters more often than not walk off, rather than on trails, and try to be quiet. Also, if hunters are dressing a fresh kill or something, they are more likely to be unaware of a hungry bear, and if aware at the last second, are going to reach for the gun they already have with them. They may not get it in position to even get a shot off. Does the research count only those gun encounters where shots were fired, or all encounters where a gun was present?

Yeah .... I would like more information!   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 12:25:19 PM »
Wasn't there a joke about bear spray that wound up that Grizzly Bear scat is identified by a strong pepper spray odor and the presence of bells or something? ???
Yeah .... I would like more information!   

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 01:08:52 PM »
Causation vs correlation and all that.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 01:24:44 PM »
Also from the article:

Despite what some people say, I’m not just pimping the [bear spray] industry. Those guys hate me. At one point, I showed that bear spray could actually attract bears. I just demonstrated that if you’re stupid enough to spray it around a tent, you just said, “Eat at Joe’s.” Not a lot of people were doing that, but there were enough that it had to stop. The media distorted it, and I was in a number of TV and radio spots where people said, “Bear spray doesn’t work.” But the correct human analogy for the ways bear react to bear spray is this: I like a milkshake, but I don’t want it sprayed up my nose. ]

I guess you better be a good shot with the spray or you're farked.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, 01:52:59 PM »
Put your trust in bear spray, and back it up with lead spray. They can talk all they want, but all the pro guides I ever saw in AK had a heavy rifle or 12ga slug gun with them.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
I've never heard of any legal issues in Montana from shooting a bear in valid self defense.  Quite the opposite, actually.

I wonder how many bear sprayings there are that were not truly self defensive...?   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 06:37:06 PM »
Also from the article:

I guess you better be a good shot with the spray or you're farked.

The attractant factor occurs when people spray it on gear as a passive deterrent.  That gives the bears the ability to rub their faces on it and use it like we use hot sauce, just enough to trigger endorphin release via pain on our own terms.

The milkshake analogy is not inapt.

In Alaska in a DLP shooting you have to surrender the hide and skull (including all teeth and claws) to the state. You can have someone else do the work. The "trophies" get auctioned off at the Fur Rondy, so you can buy your kill back if you want.

My position is spray is good, no chance of killing a curious or bluff charging bear (there's no evidence it provokes attacks in those cases) but a bear that wants to beat you or eat you will ignore it, as it is just an irritant. You can't shoot that bear off you with spray, that's why you want both options.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 06:42:18 PM »
My position is spray is good, no chance of killing a curious or bluff charging bear (there's no evidence it provokes attacks in those cases) but a bear that wants to beat you or eat you will ignore it, as it is just an irritant. You can't shoot that bear off you with spray, that's why you want both options.

So if it is very difficult to stop a charging bear with a gun, how much more so after you have tried pepper spray first and it didn't work  ???

Back when I roamed in Alaska, bear spray hadn't even been heard of.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 07:01:23 PM »

It's a wonder anyone survived.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
The problem with using both, is that the spray is short distance. If you wait to spray 'em, they've already gotten panic close. At which point it will be difficult to immediate switch to firearm and continue with lead.

So its either shoot 'em at a distance when they are maybe non-threatening, or take the chance and wait to spray 'em at a stone's throw if they edge closer.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 07:06:37 PM »
So if it is very difficult to stop a charging bear with a gun, how much more so after you have tried pepper spray first and it didn't work  ???

Said -have- both, not try to -use- both in every circumstance. Ideally you'd operate with the person you're with, like the cops do when they have justification to use lethal force but try less-lethal first.

Judgment call, just like when your choice is shoot or don't; by the time you are really justified to make that call the chance of it working is dicey anyway.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
The attractant factor occurs when people spray it on gear as a passive deterrent.  That gives the bears the ability to rub their faces on it and use it like we use hot sauce, just enough to trigger endorphin release via pain on our own terms.

Hiker "comes with its own spray on spice packet".
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pharmacology

• friends
Re:
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2013, 09:15:15 PM »
The solution:

Rail mounted bear spay

sent from my mobile potato using crapatalk

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re:
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 10:29:50 PM »
Or this:

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__25/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

12 GAUGE PEPPER GAS
THIS CARTRIDGE PRODUCES A CONE SHAPED BLAST OF OC POWDER APPROXIMATELY 8 FEET IN DIAMETER AT 25 FEET.  THIS CARTRIDGE USES THE SAME POWDER AS THE ISRAELI RIOT CONTROL GRENADES.  IDEALLY SUITED FOR USE IN THE HV-5 ALARM SYSTEM DESCRIBED IN THIS CATALOG OR IN ANY SHOTGUN.  RECOMMENDED FOR OUTDOOR USE AS THE POWDER CAN BECOME IMBEDDED IN CARPET AND FURNITURE.  ITS PRACTICAL USE WOULD BE FOR RIOT CONTROL WHERE LESS THAN LETHAL FORCE IS NECESSARY.  OVERALL CARTRIDGE LENGTH IS 2-3/4".
HV-0617                                                     $15.95/PKG OF 3

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »

So what was it like when the Russians owned it?

:rofl:

jim

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 11:52:25 PM »

Back then wasn't "bear spray"  what happened when the bear ate too many hippies and got the squirts?

Said -have- both, not try to -use- both in every circumstance. Ideally you'd operate with the person you're with, like the cops do when they have justification to use lethal force but try less-lethal first.

Judgment call, just like when your choice is shoot or don't; by the time you are really justified to make that call the chance of it working is dicey anyway.

Heck if you got someone with you all you gaoota do is kneecap the guy you're with before he kneecaps you and then run off to a safe distance and let the bear have him while you video it on your phone.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2013, 03:55:43 AM »
Shotshell variants from the site cited by bedlamite...

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__25/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

"12 GAUGE MAIDEN'S REVENGE"

Funnnny.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 09:29:48 AM »
Heck if you got someone with you all you gaoota do is kneecap the guy you're with before he kneecaps you and then run off to a safe distance and let the bear have him while you video it on your phone.

Hey, it worked for Shane when he kneecapped Otis!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

I actually never saw a grizzly during my two year sojourn.  But one time three of us were hiking down off of a pass, and going through that thick brush between tundra and timber we were following dinner plate size bear tracks in the soft trail.  You couldn't see ten feet in front of you and less to the sides in most of that stretch.  I was the "gun guy" of the trio, so I got to take point with the shotgun.  Being safety concious, I kept the chamber empty and figured I could rack the slide.

Looking back, I was an idiot  :facepalm:  I should have had one in the pipe and the safety off with my finger outside the trigger guard.  That's the only way that I would have had even a chance of getting a shot off at a bear in that thicket.  ;/ 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 02:25:13 PM »
I actually never saw a grizzly during my two year sojourn.  But one time three of us were hiking down off of a pass, and going through that thick brush between tundra and timber we were following dinner plate size bear tracks in the soft trail.  You couldn't see ten feet in front of you and less to the sides in most of that stretch.  I was the "gun guy" of the trio, so I got to take point with the shotgun.  Being safety concious, I kept the chamber empty and figured I could rack the slide.

Looking back, I was an idiot  :facepalm:  I should have had one in the pipe and the safety off with my finger outside the trigger guard.  That's the only way that I would have had even a chance of getting a shot off at a bear in that thicket.  ;/ 

Just rack the slide. It will scare the grizzlies away!