Author Topic: Nip this in the bud: Airliner hacked through inflight entertainment system.  (Read 6785 times)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
yeah just how the cockpit of a modern airliner should look.

Seven instruments and a control system that doesn't argue with the user.  Pretty sure I've spent as many hours as a passenger in various GA aircraft as commercial, and usually felt safer in a PA-18 than anything.  Something about the "we can land darn near anywhere without having to call it a crash" aspect.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Seven instruments and a control system that doesn't argue with the user.  Pretty sure I've spent as many hours as a passenger in various GA aircraft as commercial, and usually felt safer in a PA-18 than anything.  Something about the "we can land darn near anywhere without having to call it a crash" aspect.

Your knowledge of aviation and what's "safe" is amusing.  As an insider, I can tell you exactly where the higher percentage of accidents and fatalities are, and it's in GA.
And a PA18 will get you just as dead as anything else.

http://faadaily.com/2015/03/28/2-killed-in-crash-of-pipe-cub-single-engine-plane-near-pine-river-in-northern-minnesota/

Those 7 instruments work great in an airfame that is not much more complicated than a willys jeep and weighs less.

A Boeing or Airbus....?  Multiple systems, life support, engines, navigation systems.  Hands off landings in conditions that most people won't drive in? good luck with that *expletive deleted*it in a cub.

The fatality rate is about 12 per 100,000 flight hours in general aviation.  Takes a million flight hours to hit that rate in commercial aviation.  US accidents, while declining, is about 1200 a year for general aviation.

So your perception of feeling safer is false.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
This thread reminds me that I haven't seen Tallpine around in too long. Anyone have a way to contact him IRL? I hope he's ok.  =|
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Jamisjockey

• friend
This thread reminds me that I haven't seen Tallpine around in too long. Anyone have a way to contact him IRL? I hope he's ok.  =|

I imagine he is.  I think that he decided to leave after a few disagreements.  I'm largely to blame and accept responsibility for being an ahole without real cause to him more than once.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I imagine he is.  I think that he decided to leave after a few disagreements.  I'm largely to blame and accept responsibility for being an ahole without real cause to him more than once.

I look back on the way I've treated people on this forum and others over the years and I deeply regret what a jerk I've been, so I can definitely empathize with you on that. I know he and Ladypine were older and living in an isolated place with sketchy neighbors so it's a relief to know that it's most likely a voluntary absence and not a home invasion gone bad where no one has discovered the bodies yet.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
http://faadaily.com/2015/03/28/2-killed-in-crash-of-pipe-cub-single-engine-plane-near-pine-river-in-northern-minnesota/

Two dead.  In a plane he had restored himself, but not flown much.  Probably doing something relatively dumb showing off for the girl, which tends to get you killed in any aircraft.

Mothball an A320 for 6 months to a year, load it up and go hotdogging for a cute nurse with no more maintenance than a load of fresh fuel and see how well it does.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Your knowledge of aviation and what's "safe" is amusing.  As an insider, I can tell you exactly where the higher percentage of accidents and fatalities are, and it's in GA.
And a PA18 will get you just as dead as anything else.

Those 7 instruments work great in an airfame that is not much more complicated than a willys jeep and weighs less.

A Boeing or Airbus....?  Multiple systems, life support, engines, navigation systems.  Hands off landings in conditions that most people won't drive in? good luck with that *expletive deleted*it in a cub.

The fatality rate is about 12 per 100,000 flight hours in general aviation.  Takes a million flight hours to hit that rate in commercial aviation.  US accidents, while declining, is about 1200 a year for general aviation.

So your perception of feeling safer is false.

This. GA is a flying graveyard compared to commercial. There's a reason why folks use the phrase "Going down like a Beechcraft filled with doctors."

A modern Boeing or Sikorsky aircraft is more complex, but more safer and more capable. Feeling secure is rarely the same as actually being secure. Outside of the movies, you can't haX0r an aircraft out of the sky. It's possible someone might be criminally stupid enough to allow it, but generally, not going to happen. Remember, aerospace engineers fly too.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
This. GA is a flying graveyard compared to commercial. There's a reason why folks use the phrase "Going down like a Beechcraft filled with doctors."

A modern Boeing or Sikorsky aircraft is more complex, but more safer and more capable. Feeling secure is rarely the same as actually being secure. Outside of the movies, you can't haX0r an aircraft out of the sky. It's possible someone might be criminally stupid enough to allow it, but generally, not going to happen. Remember, aerospace engineers fly too.

And yet, GA is still safer than driving. 1/5 or 1/6 the accident rate per vehicle-mile

Funny how crotchety people will get about technology in airplanes, but dont seem to have a problem with it in cars.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
And yet, GA is still safer than driving. 1/5 or 1/6 the accident rate per vehicle-mile

Funny how crotchety people will get about technology in airplanes, but dont seem to have a problem with it in cars.

Very much concur
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamisjockey

• friend
Two dead.  In a plane he had restored himself, but not flown much.  Probably doing something relatively dumb showing off for the girl, which tends to get you killed in any aircraft.

Mothball an A320 for 6 months to a year, load it up and go hotdogging for a cute nurse with no more maintenance than a load of fresh fuel and see how well it does.

And fly the cub for a million hours and see how it does.

You're comparing a vespa to a Cadillac Escalade.  And failing badly at making any kind of point. I've witnessed personally with my own damn eyes well maintained and regularly flown general aviation aircraft crash.
JD

KD5NRH

• friends

The Bonanza's record for opening up spots on hospital rosters is pretty much entirely due to pilot error.  That is pretty easily controlled by the passenger in GA; you can see the guy and how he handles the aircraft.  Not so easy when the captain is a disembodied voice with only a last name.

Jamisjockey

• friend
The Bonanza's record for opening up spots on hospital rosters is pretty much entirely due to pilot error.  That is pretty easily controlled by the passenger in GA; you can see the guy and how he handles the aircraft.  Not so easy when the captain is a disembodied voice with only a last name.

You can't even be reasoned with.  Most US Commercial pilots will have more hours just to begin flying commercial than most GA pilots will have in their lifetime. 
JD

KD5NRH

• friends
Most US Commercial pilots will have more hours just to begin flying commercial than most GA pilots will have in their lifetime.

And yet they still do stupid stuff.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
How often is security the prime consideration in systems development?
Security?  Eh, I dunno.  But the reliability and safety practices for engineering these sorts of systems are... thorough.  Anal-retentiviely, frustratingly, expensively thorough.

A place I used to work at considered bidding on a project to harden some embedded software in a commercial aircraft.  The testing requirements for that software were so high that we basically just said "forget it, there's no amount of money that makes it worth our while."  IIRC, it was for some sort of ancillary passenger entertainment thing, not even related to the operation of the plane.  Onboard wifi or something.  The airline wanted to protect the software and the obvious solution of airgapping everything didn't satisfy them.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
You can't even be reasoned with.  Most US Commercial pilots will have more hours just to begin flying commercial than most GA pilots will have in their lifetime. 

This.

Not nearfuckinglyoften as GA pilots.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jamisjockey

• friend

You just keep going for fun, dontcha?
JD

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
This.

Not nearfuckinglyoften as GA pilots.

I'd wager Boomhauer alone does more stupid *expletive deleted*it than the entirety of commercial aviation :-D

Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
JD

mtnbkr

• friend
I didn't know having a guv issued amateur radio license made one an aviation expert.  Then again, to hear some of those bozos speak, they're masters of anything remotely technical.  ;/

Chris

dogmush

• friend
I grew up in AK, Dad was a pilot in CAP.  You ain't seen stupid 'till you've seen "GA in AK during sheep season" stupid.  I sleep on commercial airliners because I know it's one of the safest ways to travel ever invented.

Hawkmoon

• friend

Speak for yourself. There's a reason why my newest vehicle is a 14-year old Jeep Cherokee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
I am sure if the vast majority of people only traveled on roads in buses, there would be fewer vehicle accidents also.  Not a good comparison unless you want to talk about everyone with a driver's license flying including daily commutes and trips to the store.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
I didn't know having a guv issued amateur radio license made one an aviation expert.  Then again, to hear some of those bozos speak, they're masters of anything remotely technical.  ;/

Chris

He's an expert on everything, didn't you know?

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
I am sure if the vast majority of people only traveled on roads in buses, there would be fewer vehicle accidents also.  Not a good comparison unless you want to talk about everyone with a driver's license flying including daily commutes and trips to the store.

Not sure i follow. the statistics are generally laid out adjusted for usage in some way
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Regolith

• friend
I'd wager Boomhauer alone does more stupid *expletive deleted*it than the entirety of commercial aviation :-D

This sorta stuff

https://youtu.be/KwLzhQkueFg

Saying Boomhauer would shoot vertical video is going too far, dude.  :P
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth