Author Topic: ISIS atttack on French church  (Read 4194 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
ISIS atttack on French church
« on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:25 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/26/europe/france-normandy-church-hostage/

A priest was killed, and other hostages were wounded.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: ISIS atttack on French church
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »
Have they established a motive yet?
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 10:05:09 AM »
Motive?

They were reportedly shouting "Allahu Akbar" which I'm sure we'll learn from the Obama administration actually translates as "It's Bush's Fault" . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3708394/Two-men-armed-knives-people-hostage-French-church.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:50:41 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
Motive?

They were reportedly shouting "Allahu Akbar" which I'm sure we'll learn from the Pbama administration actually translates as "It's Bush's Trump's Fault" . . .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3708394/Two-men-armed-knives-people-hostage-French-church.html

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 12:44:34 PM »
How long will it be, before they drive a truck into a church, and then set off their load of explosives? The only thing that might limit the casualties from such is that the churches, being French, will be mostly empty.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
Obviously France's lax knife laws are the problem.

I blame the French Cutlery Association.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 05:33:49 PM »
Stupid me, I looked up the French word for Police and found it is Police. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 09:25:32 PM »
Stupid me, I looked up the French word for Police and found it is Police. 

I don't know how the French language "police" ever allowed that to happen. I've only been to France twice, most recently in 1994, and back then the police were still called the gendarmerie.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »
In one of the links, the police all had "police" on their backs along with another word.  I wrongly assumed police was for non French speakers.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
I don't know how the French language "police" ever allowed that to happen. I've only been to France twice, most recently in 1994, and back then the police were still called the gendarmerie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_enforcement_in_France

France has two national police forces:[1]

The Police Nationale, formerly called the "Sûreté", is considered a civilian police force. Its origins date back to 1812 and was created by Eugène François Vidocq. In 1966 its name was officially changed to "Police Nationale".[1] It has primary responsibility for major cities and large urban areas. The Police Nationale are under the control of the Ministry of the Interior; its strength is roughly 150 000.[1]
    The Gendarmerie Nationale is part of the French armed forces. It has the primary responsibility for policing smaller towns and rural areas, as well as the armed forces and military installations, airport security and shipping ports. Being a military force, the gendarmerie has a highly centralized organization structure. It is under the control of both the Ministry of Defence and the Ministry of the Interior (as far as its civil duties are concerned)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:21 PM »
The Gendarmerie Nationale is part of the French armed forces. It has the primary responsibility for policing smaller towns and rural areas, as well as the armed forces and military installations, airport security and shipping ports.

That explains it. When I was there in 1994, we were visiting small towns along the Normandy coast, where the D-Day battles were fought.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
Obviously,  the death cultists were provoked.  [barf]

I'm going to start taking after Cato at this rate...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 02:34:33 AM »
How long will it be, before they drive a truck into a church, and then set off their load of explosives? The only thing that might limit the casualties from such is that the churches, being French, will be mostly empty.

It's true our churches are emptier than your gay night clubs. Do tell me, do you have to bring your cousin for happy cracker hour on Sundays or will any dude from your serpent handling community do?
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 07:13:41 AM »
It's true our churches are emptier than your gay night clubs. Do tell me, do you have to bring your cousin for happy cracker hour on Sundays or will any dude from your serpent handling community do?

You mean, when I go to church, or when I go to a gay night club?

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 07:43:34 AM »
You mean, when I go to church, or when I go to a gay night club?

Does your Church have happy cracker hour on sundays, too?
2 snakes for the price of one?
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 11:08:07 AM »

I will pay you to record yourself saying that in a heavy French accent and sending us the MP3.

Edit: Please be nice to each other. Polite, blah blah blah. Still willing to pay for that in MP3 format, tho. 5 euro good?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 11:34:11 AM »
I will pay you to record yourself saying that in a heavy French accent and sending us the MP3.

Edit: Please be nice to each other. Polite, blah blah blah. Still willing to pay for that in MP3 format, tho. 5 euro good?

ROTFLMAO.  :D

Hell, if LdV is willing, I'm sure we could queue up a bunch of phrases for him to repeat with an outrageous over-the-top French accent.

Chris

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm sure John Cleese got more than 5 Euros for a fake french accent.

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
I'm sure John Cleese got more than 5 Euros for a fake french accent.

Fine. 6 euro for your finest fake French accent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2016, 06:13:02 PM »
I'll do it for 2-1/2.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
I'll do it for tree fiddy.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/syria-refugee-held-french-church-attack-40992412

Among the bits of info in this news story:

1) One of those suspected in the attack is - you'll never guess - a Syrian refugee.

2) The church in question sold a plot of their land to a Muslim group, "for a symbolic sum," to help them build a Mosque.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 05:08:43 PM »
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/syria-refugee-held-french-church-attack-40992412
2) The church in question sold a plot of their land to a Muslim group, "for a symbolic sum," to help them build a Mosque.

Yeah -- 1 (as in "one") Euro.

Makes one almost want to reconsider that "Am I my brother's keeper?" bit ... Robert Frost seems to have had it right: "Good fences make good neighbors."

Le bon jour, M. Imam. Oh, est-ce que vous souhaitez construire une mosquée? S'il vous plaît me permettre de diriger votre attention à un terrain de terre très abordable sur une petite île au milieu du marais cinq kilomètres hors de la ville.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
Does that mean something like "I know a nice place for a mosque, many leagues from here"?

I don't know if the proximity hurt them so much, but I do question the propriety of a church helping to establish a mosque. Seems an obvious non-starter.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
Does that mean something like "I know a nice place for a mosque, many leagues from here"?

I don't know if the proximity hurt them so much, but I do question the propriety of a church helping to establish a mosque. Seems an obvious non-starter.
"Good day Monsieur Imam. Oh, so you wish to build a mosque? Please allow me to direct your attention to a very affordable property 5 kilometers away from town, on a small island in the middle of a swamp".
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila