Author Topic: Will Someone Please Think of the COWS!?!?  (Read 4449 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Will Someone Please Think of the COWS!?!?
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »
This is just...so wrong.

Cow farts collected in plastic tank for global warming study
By Rupert Neate
Last updated: 9:55 PM BST 09/07/2008
Scientists are examining cow farts and burps in a novel bid to combat global warming.

Experts said the slow digestive system of cows makes them a key producer of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that gets far less public attention than carbon dioxide.

In a bid to understand the impact of the wind produced by cows on global warming, scientists collected gas from their stomachs in plastic tanks attached to their backs.

The Argentine researchers discovered methane from cows accounts for more than 30 per cent of the country's total greenhouse emissions.

As one of the world's biggest beef producers, Argentina has more than 55 million cows grazing in its famed Pampas grasslands.

Guillermo Berra, a researcher at the National Institute of Agricultural Technology, said every cow produces between 8000 to 1,000 litres of emissions every day.

Methane, which is also released from landfills, coal mines and leaking gas pipes, is 23 times more effective at trapping heat in the atmosphere than carbon dioxide.

Scientists are now carrying out trials of new diets designed to improve cows's digestion and hopefully reduce global warming. Silvia Valtorta, of the National Council of Scientific and Technical Investigations, said that by feeding cows clover and alfalfa instead of grain "you can reduce methane emissions by 25 percent".

I hereby plan to organize a group to fight this indignity:
Bovine
Executive
Emergency
Flatus
Action
Response
Team

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Will Someone Please Think of the COWS!?!?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:25:53 AM »
1 -
In a bid to understand the impact of the wind produced by cows on global warming, scientists collected gas from their stomachs in plastic tanks attached to their backs.

The Argentine researchers discovered methane from cows accounts for more than 30 per cent of the country's total greenhouse emissions.

What do these esteemed scientists do with the methane gas so collected once it is measured?  Wanna bet they do not release it into the atmosphere?

2 -
I hereby plan to organize a group to fight this indignity:
Bovine
Executive
Emergency
Flatus
Action
Response
Team

Please forward forms needed to apply for charter/plankholder membership.  Under separate cover I am sending you my bank account information as well asvarious credit card numbers and security codes - not sure which flavors of plastic you accept.  My social security number is available, along with picture and vita at most local Post Offices - see clipboard labled "Most Wanted".

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 11:36:51 PM »
The look on that cow's face goes to tell me how they are actually collecting the gas.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 03:09:17 AM »
Hope no one bursts their bubble  laugh
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:53:09 AM »
Experts said the slow digestive system of cows makes them a key producer of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that gets far less public attention than carbon dioxide.
Of course it may not have occurred to the "scientists" that cows just might not have a digestive system able to efficiently handle the kind of feed products many "farmers" are giving to them as "food", as opposed to the grazing the plant life that bovines are naturally adapted to eat.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 09:39:22 AM »
As I understand it, there is nothing "natural" at all about modern cattle. They are bred to eat the feed we want them to eat, and to grow as fat and fast as possible.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »
All of the other cows,
used to laugh and call him names

'Til Santa lit his farts enabling Solar System wide toy distribution........
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »
One mischevious person with a .22lr rifle could cause so much havoc.......  grin  grin  grin

(....but, of course, I have an alibi....  angel )
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
One word: tracers.
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2008, 06:13:18 PM »
As I understand it, there is nothing "natural" at all about modern cattle. They are bred to eat the feed we want them to eat, and to grow as fat and fast as possible.
I don't know if I would go that far.  They are fed hormones and stuff in their feed as far as I know.  Their feed is largely grain based I thought.  I have heard that grass fed meat is a bit healthier. 

I was thinking most of the current breeds were fairly old, but I don't keep up with it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »

Now, for all those  volcanos spitting all the noxious gasses into the air; bigger balloons?

LAK

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 11:03:14 PM »
So are there going to be yearly emissions testing for cows now, With a "pass" or "fail" tag on the ear?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 02:57:36 AM »

+

=

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 05:12:22 AM »
So no one is concerned about Homo sapien flatulence and belches?
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 05:27:21 AM »
So no one is concerned about Homo sapien flatulence and belches?

Do YOU want to walk around with that thing on your back?  Some folks might need 2 or 3.

Chris

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 05:37:42 AM »
Better yet: Flaming arrow.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 05:45:10 AM »
I say we find these scientists and put a bag on their back with a tube shoved up their rear end just like they've done to the cows.

See how long they like it.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 06:50:18 AM »
So. . . with that tube shoved up its rear-end, what happens when the cow poops?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »
poo flavored pixie sticks I assume

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 07:57:34 AM »
Better yet: Flaming arrow.

....or the Holy Hand Grenade....  angel
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.