Author Topic: guns, liberals and relationships  (Read 3771 times)

guns, liberals and relationships
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
280Plus. Cheesy

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »
Oh man, I haven't laughed so hard at some of the replies to a thread in a long time.

The idea of a "How do I get my husband to come around" thread is so opposite of what we normally see on THR that our brains have exploded, and all we can do is talk about calibers.

I'd recommend you take all the advice on this page to heart - http://www.corneredcat.com/ForMen/HateGuns.htm.  I know Pax's site has already been linked several times, but there's so much good information on there it can certainly keep a person busy for hours.  It seems like you're happy to be moving, happy to be getting a gun and maybe entering a new sport, and unhappy that your husband was so odd when you told him.  In your case, I'd say that page is going to be the best help.  Everything else you can learn in a class or from your Dad.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 11:58:14 AM »
Marie, your choice of guns should be just that: your choice. When you get a chance, stop in at a gun store and handle a few. You'll find that some just don't fit you, while others do.

As for your boyfriend, how strongly does he feel about you getting a gun? Is this a make-or-break issue in your relationship? If not, perhaps you can bring him along slowly. Learn to shoot on your own, and then get him to go with to the range sometime.

If it is, then you may have to make a decision between him and your ability to defend yourself.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 07:20:46 PM »
IMHO, the most important thing is making sure that your personal portable boomstick _fits_ you... Close your eyes. Raise it up to eye level, pointing at something. When you open 'em, you should be looking down the sights at that something. If you're not, that's bad ergonomics for you. Everyone is different, and there are many brands of guns... Try a few.

Lose the pellet gun. About all it'd do is seriously hack someone or something off. If you're gonna try and bluff and scare someone (always the primary course of action for the thinking primate...), make sure that the gizmo that you're trying to pull the bluff with is actually capable of calling it, should the bluff fail.

Tell yer ol' man that you want to protect the kids, and him, and he doesn't really have all that much choice in the matter. Then invite him to the range. Bring a .22 for him.

Odds are he's gonna trot out all sortsa urban legend type stuff as reason why you shouldn't have a gun - Let us know, and we'll bust 'em for you.
Blog under construction

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 07:53:26 PM »
Marie, welcome!  To APS, and the Sierras.  Whereabouts?

Actually, I'm not in the hills, but in Sacramento, but the Sierras are my goal.  I would be happy to bring by my collection of 38-ish caliber guns for you to look at and try-I have two S&W revolvers, 38 Special and 357 Magnum, and a 9mm semiauto.  I also have a lever-action carbine that shoots 38s and 357.  I can give you some familiarity with and basic safety lessons.  Just don't ask for a shooting lesson-you should learn from somebody good (I can hit the broad side of a barn, but only from the inside).

I'll reiterate the "tool" argument.  If you are moving into large predator country (which is more of California than most people want to admit), then the right tool is what you want.

Yes Lee, "Anti-gun Republican from Ohio" is not an oxymoron.  Weirdly, it isn't all that unusual; I don't know why.

Anyway, Marie, as far as your boyfriend and his gun hatred goes, I'm about to reveal one of the greatest, darkest truths of Antis:

It isn't the gun that they fear, it's themselves with a gun.  Your BF is afraid of some "long-repressed impulse", that when taking hold of a loaded weapon he'll somehow unleash a murderous sociopath.  I exaggerate, a bit, but essentially, he doesn't trust himself.  Guns are a literal representation and presentation of power...

Err, uhmm-

I'll hold off on the psychosocial analysis.  If you really want to hear it sometime, I'll be happy to tell you.  In fact, feel free to PM me.  I'll bring the Arsenal rolleyes
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2006, 08:06:02 PM »
Quote from: Antibubba
I'm about to reveal one of the greatest, darkest truths of Antis:

It isn't the gun that they fear, it's themselves with a gun.  Your BF is afraid of some "long-repressed impulse", that when taking hold of a loaded weapon he'll somehow unleash a murderous sociopath.  I exaggerate, a bit, but essentially, he doesn't trust himself.  Guns are a literal representation and presentation of power...
Never heard that before.  Perhaps you could start a thread on that, or just post a link to an article on it.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2006, 08:12:09 PM »
fistful... I've seen the same thing in a LOT of antis: I think the correct psychobabble for it is "projection". Basically saying "I can't trust myself to be armed, therefor you can't be trusted". And there are a LOT of people out there who uffer from this problem...

And Barbara: I'd propose, but the wife would probably shoot me... Wink

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »
Quote from: Vodka7
The idea of a "How do I get my husband to come around" thread is so opposite of what we normally see on THR that our brains have exploded, and all we can do is talk about calibers.
That's what I immediately noticed too. I thought it was rather refreshing seeing the opposite of what we normally see. Smiley
Andy

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2006, 08:54:51 PM »
You know, 9 times out of 10, when a rational person objects to firearms it's because he doesn't know or understand them.  Having never had any direct experience with a gun or with a gun owner, such a person might naturally object.  The solution is to offer them the knowledge and experience they lack, and then allow them some time for the new info to sink in.  Such folks amose invariably come to accept firearms ownership.  They may not want to own or shoot a gun of their own, but they cease to interfere with other people who do.

Of course, this only works with people who are fundamentally rational.  There are lots of folks who have an emotional fear, hate, or dislike of firearms that isn't based in reality.  Such a person doesn't know the facts, doesn't want to learn, and strenuously objects to any suggestion to think about or discuss the matter.  Such a person takes it as a matter of fait that firearms are BAD, and that nobody should be allowed to even think about owning one.  There's no point trying to talk to such a person.  

Do either of these two types of people describe your husband, Marie?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2006, 09:23:47 PM »
deleted. Too personal. My bad.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 01:13:42 AM »
Psssst...Methinks Marie left us a loooong time ago... Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Shalako

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2006, 10:02:33 AM »
The first lesson here should be: The Four Rules of Safety

This will help marie in the sport and I am convinced it is the first step to converting anti-gunners. Its also the approach I used when first dating my (now) wife. She was very apprehensive about guns, but when I impressed upon her my utter and complete adherance to SAFETY at All Times, she came around quite quickly.

Marie, ingrain these rules into your being prior to handling guns. Remember and adhere to them always. Teach them to any newcomers to the sport and give a quick safety lesson before every time you shoot with folks. (When your bf sees your dedication to SAFETY, he will come around...)

I. Treat all guns as though they are loaded, all the time (even when you just checked to make sure its unloaded, always)

II. Never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy (even if you think its unloaded, ie remember Rule #1)

III. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire (Newbies always tend to fail this rule when you hand them a gun, their finger lands right on the trigger...BAD!)

IV. Know your target and have a safe backstop. Bullets can richochet or travel miles with lethal results.

During my safety talk, I tell shooters that if any Rule is infringed, we will pack it in and go do something else. No big deal, but safety is always more important than recreation. (It really is a big deal, but if you over-react to newbies, they might not try shooting again.)

Hope that helps,
Tim in Sacramento