Author Topic: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers  (Read 26224 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: Operation Bright Eyes - tattle tale utility workers spying on customers
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
Folks going through my belongings for no reason other than what a utility worker saw or what he thinks he saw.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 08:56:58 PM »
c and s daddy - I gotta run, or I'm going to hit overtime. Pick it up again tomorrow? =)

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 09:09:33 PM »
maybe i do   what are you concerned about?

The real issue here is the law thinking they somehow need to expand their area of influence/power, and using random civilians to do it. 

Do you seriously think this isn't a load of complete BS??  :rolleyes:

anygunanywhere

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 09:12:29 PM »
IANAL and I do not play one on tv.

If individuals are trained to snoop and provide information to police agencies then they are agents of said police and are covered under the 4th amendment? Of course the PAtriot act might have eliminated parts of it for our own safety and security.

Anygunanywhere

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
the law has always used info from various folks invited into homes. this makes em a lil less random and hopefully gives them a clue as to how to act. we had a mensa candidate out here with a grow op in his house. cable guy dimed him. he showed up as cops were bringing out his plants said" oh you found the dope? i thought you found the gun..... "  cop turned around and brought the convicted felons 357 out.
and this genius knew the cops were there when he came home  he'd been called at work and told about it

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2008, 10:09:59 PM »
what are you concerned about?
I don't know maybe a private co. you are paying to provide a service pretending to be law enforcement?

To paraphrase "Government and law enforcement are like a septic tank, big chunks float to the top."
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2008, 10:15:29 PM »
IANAL and I do not play one on tv.

If individuals are trained to snoop and provide information to police agencies then they are agents of said police and are covered under the 4th amendment? Of course the PAtriot act might have eliminated parts of it for our own safety and security.

Anygunanywhere

Under the circumstances described in the article, they are probably not agents of the government in regards to the 4th Amendment.  In order to be "agents", there would probably have to be more specific direction, such as sending them to certain homes or having them dig through people's stuff.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2008, 10:22:18 PM »
It's bad news on several fronts.

Surveillance sans warrant?

How admissible are their "findings" in a court of law?

Umm, Oversight Program, anybody?

I saw a lot of stuff when I worked for Dish Network. 

Had I wanted a baggie or even small bale of Wacky Terbaccy, many of the places I did installs in had the stuff laying around. (This was Madison, of course...)

I did not report them.  Wasn't my job, nor should it be the job of Jim Carrey Cable Guys.

This sets a dangerous precedent - no two ways about it.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »

This sets a dangerous precedent - no two ways about it.

(^ Quoted for truth, no in response to)

That's the friggin point!  If you don't understand why this is a Bad Thing, I can't help you.

I drive a delivery truck right now, and on occasion, see Illegal things.  Guess what?  None of my friggin business!  They aren't hurting anything!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:43:21 AM by Bigjake »

crawdaddyjim

• Alien
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2008, 11:44:33 PM »
In all the years I have been going into peoples houses I have had to call the law exactly one time. And this was do to large bruises/welts on a 3 yr old little boy. That was the roughest thing I have had to deal with. I personally don't care one iota about your dope stash or whisky still. Now if you baking crank or making stove top meth. Then I am calling the law. But realistically very few of those types call to have something repaired.

Just think if your sister was caught in a hell hole of a abusive relationship and the cable guy was her only chance to get help. Wouldn't you want the guy to drop the dime for her?

Jim

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2008, 04:11:30 AM »
the other operation Bright Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vqm43Frk28
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2008, 08:19:14 AM »
Now that this program is getting press attention, I wonder how many cable service reps will start "disappearing" after seeing things they shouldn't see....

Risky program....and I bet the health plan doesn't cover it, either...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2008, 08:26:35 AM »
note to self  buy more alcoa

they've been issuing press releases about it since before it started. got any disappearances or kicked down doors to tout?  black helicopters? maybe it  was the cable guy who dimed the liberty dollar fellar.  any guys in wookie suits vanish?    the door kicked down over the gun magazines was a good one
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2008, 09:35:25 AM »
Trotting out the tinfoil, black helicopters and JBTs AGAIN?

You must think rather little of us. =|

Address these items with valid arguments or I guess I'll run along back to my tinfoil conspiracy sites... ;/

1. Folks going through my belongings for no reason other than what a utility worker saw or what he thinks he saw.
2. Surveillance sans warrant?
3. How admissible are their "findings" in a court of law?
4. Umm, Oversight Program, anybody?
5. This sets a dangerous precedent - no two ways about it.

(Now that I think on it, I haven't been to Alex Jones' site in a while. That's always entertaining. :laugh:)

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:40:21 AM by grislyatoms »

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
I actually attended a seminar once a LOOOONG time ago (way before terrorism became a watchword) involving ALL the various service company types being on the lookout for evidence of animal fighting (dogs/cocks) and reporting it. That's like electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc etc. So really, this isn't all that new. I've been entering people's houses for nigh on to 30 years now. Can't recall EVER finding anything that might be termed "illegal" except maybe the one broad who kept her poor neglected cat in the basement living amongst it's own waste with no food or water to speak of. I was too young and dumb at the time to think of reporting her, though I should have. One thing I DID learn, there are some REAL slobs out there.  ;/

My question is, what if you manage to piss off the cable guy? Might he/she not report you as somehow being suspicious just to get even? ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

• friends
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
re 1 and 2  what has changed with this program?  they already can get a warrant based on whats someone you invite in sees. all this does is try to give these folks a clue  and if you notice the focus isn't on kicking in your door if they see guns and ammo. as a matter of reallity can anyone point out a problem as a result of this program that has actually occured?  
you invite these folks in  anything anyone you invite in sees is fair game

re 3 they are classed as ci's

re 4  what kinda oversight you want?

5  the precedent was set long ago and the danger is grossly over rated

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 10:09:32 AM »
you invite these folks in  anything anyone you invite in sees is fair game

It may be legal, but that doesn't make it okay.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »
My question is, what if you manage to piss off the cable guy? Might he/she not report you as somehow being suspicious just to get even? Wink

kinda like pissing off the cook

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
Note that I don't personally need to fear cable guys for the obvious reason of not having cable.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »
It may be legal, but that doesn't make it okay.

don't invite em in   thats the rough part of being part of society  you have to make choices  one might be no cable or fixing it yourself

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 10:16:15 AM »
don't invite em in   thats the rough part of being part of society  you have to make choices  one might be no cable or fixing it yourself

Or electricity? Or gas?

You do know that if gas service is interrupted, a gas person has to come in to do the water heater and all, right?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 10:21:10 AM »

So you essentially argue that 'society' can impose whatever obligation it chooses on me in exchange for the wonderful privilege of being part of it?

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:24 AM »
My question is, what if you manage to piss off the cable guy? Might he/she not report you as somehow being suspicious just to get even? Wink

kinda like pissing off the cook
You said a "mouthful" there!  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

• friends
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:38 AM »
So you essentially argue that 'society' can impose whatever obligation it chooses on me in exchange for the wonderful privilege of being part of it?

no i say you impose it upon yourself when you avail yourself of the benefits being part of society offer. you know schools roads grants etc.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 10:28:54 AM »
The point is, that if it is illegal for the government to spy on American citizens, how are these paid informants any different?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com