Author Topic: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035  (Read 4384 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035
« on: August 26, 2022, 08:18:27 AM »
California will ban the sale of new non-electric vehicles starting in 2035. I wonder what auto manufacturers think of this after all their years of rolling over for any CA law that came out regarding mandatory equipment in gas vehicles, which of course meant that all US vehicles were stuck with the same "improvements" and additional costs.

Or perhaps they will roll over again and (as CA undoubtedly hopes) will cease all gas vehicle production in the US to keep the CA market.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/california-ban-gas-powered-cars-electric
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
And their power grid can't even handle the current load.
Next up an announcement of a massive increase of taxes on gas among other items and pleads for Fed funding for more windmills and solar panels.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 10:36:11 AM »
There will be state-subsidized mass transmit systems implemented. They will encourage workers to live in dorms within happy marching distance of their work places.
Blog under construction

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 12:16:47 PM »
I’m guessing the dealers in Arizona, Nevada and Oregon are rubbing their grubby paws in delight.  Unless the are banning registration of 2035 and later model year cars with gas engines, and not just sales within the state.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 12:20:42 PM »
I’m guessing the dealers in Arizona, Nevada and Oregon are rubbing their grubby paws in delight.  Unless the are banning registration of 2035 and later model year cars with gas engines, and not just sales within the state.

The article seemed to indicate that while no new cars would be sold in the state, people "can keep buying and driving them". So that might be a possibility unless they change the law again.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 12:40:13 PM »
perhaps they will roll over again and (as CA undoubtedly hopes) will cease all gas vehicle production in the US to keep the CA market.

CA has been pretty successful throwing it's weight around to get what it wants and it's a big market but I don't think it's that big. They could still sell them in the other 49 states. Especially, as noted, right on the border of CA.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
CA has been pretty successful throwing it's weight around to get what it wants and it's a big market but I don't think it's that big. They could still sell them in the other 49 states. Especially, as noted, right on the border of CA.

It could be. I didn't catch the "buy and drive" until Sumpnz's post.

Still we see what happened with CARB, which was originally CA only. The rest of us could have kept using regular gas cans instead of now having to use "water cans" for a normal pour spout.

Also when diesel regs went into effect in 2006(?). That was pushed by CA EPA. The automakers didn't need to change diesels in the other 49 states, but CA EPA pushed national EPA to hurry the change through, and manufacturers then put out hurried and crap products. I made the mistake of buying the first gen F250 with a DPF. What a horrible and costly mistake.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 02:43:08 PM »
Interesting they set the date for 2035 far beyond when any of the current politicians will be held accountable. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 03:28:15 PM »
I don't expect it will be too many years before gas vehicles are banned in the entire country.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2022, 04:04:28 PM »
I was in the lawn and landscape industry for 20 years.  I remember when the CARB-compliant 2-stroke grass trimmers and blowers came to Michigan. 

They were more expensive, less powerful, and had a lifespan half as long as the older equipment.  I owned grass trimmers that had catalytic converters, and they clogged easily.  I always ended up just drilling a hole through them when that happened.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2022, 05:06:44 PM »
I don't expect it will be too many years before gas vehicles are banned in the entire country.

Figure they'll use economic levers for that.  Increase the taxes on fuel and start taxing everything (gas and electric) per mile.  Rapidly the cost of running gas equipment would be economically nonviable.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2022, 05:26:01 PM »
Figure they'll use economic levers for that.  Increase the taxes on fuel and start taxing everything (gas and electric) per mile.  Rapidly the cost of running gas equipment would be economically nonviable.
I foresee a cottage industry of mileage alteration solutions . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2022, 06:18:36 PM »
I foresee a cottage industry of felony mileage alteration solutions . . .

FTFY
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 06:23:21 PM »
I am thinking on multiple stategies. Lo-tech, we have always wanted a draft horse. Next we buy all the 80s chevy pickups we can get our grubby paws on. Hoard gas and look at making ethanol if can get the feed stocks. Also have several mechanical diesels, make biodiesel. Possibly buy a new or near new car or two as close to the ban as possible and run them sparingly.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2022, 06:24:38 PM »
I wonder if we'll even be allowed to own cars by the time 2035 rolls around.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2022, 06:39:23 PM »

If that happens, I wonder what people will use for 4WD back-country vehicles.  How are people going to get "out in the boonies" to do some hunting, take care of their cattle herds, etc.?  :facepalm:  [popcorn]
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2022, 06:46:21 PM »
If that happens, I wonder what people will use for 4WD back-country vehicles.  How are people going to get "out in the boonies" to do some hunting, take care of their cattle herds, etc.?  :facepalm:  [popcorn]

Do you think you will still be allowed to go out in the back country as an average citizen without some sort of special permission?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2022, 06:58:06 PM »
I wonder if we'll even be allowed to own cars by the time 2035 rolls around.

Sure

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 10:17:27 PM »
The trend towards farm consolidation will continue. The haves will afford new tractors. The have nots will move to town for factory work. So much out here in ag hinges on the 30 year old truck that gets used everyday just on the farm, or maybe sits all year until the one time it is needed. Batteries not so good at that. I guess being able to fix anything will be handy.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2022, 08:23:24 AM »
Higher cost for electric vehicles - wonder how many politicians have stock in Chinese mining or battery companies? Being unaffordable for many, more money will have to be spent on public transportation - with all the opportunity for profit to a select few which that implies. Plus, with all the added electronics, don't be surprised if these will be "smart" vehicles that cali.gov can disable remotely for "traffic management" or other issues. Driving out to off road or rural or wilderness areas - where you're hard to monitor? Are you kidding? And with the CA grid inadequate, picture plenty of restrictions on charging. CA politicians clearly want people to stay close to home. This mandate goes a lot farther than just "cleaner air."

It won't surprise me if CA tries again (as they did during the Joseph "Gray" Davis governorship) to try and get states as far away as Indiana to reconfigure their grids to feed more juice into California.

I've come to the conclusion that lefty politicians have seen and read a lot of dystopian movies and books (The Hunger Games, Soylent Green, 1984, etc.) and have come to regard them as a blueprint for the future rather than as a warning against what might happen.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 10:01:30 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2022, 12:15:40 PM »
Or this could be a feel good circle jerk by the CA Legislature that will never be implemented 'ala their microstamping law.

Or maybe they'll finally build some nuke plants.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2022, 12:32:08 PM »

You're drunk.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2022, 12:34:42 PM »
Or this could be a feel good circle jerk by the CA Legislature that will never be implemented 'ala their microstamping law.

The whole point of the microstamping law was to effectively ban by other means any new guns coming into Caili since no one has ever actually gotten it to work properly and they know that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 01:04:24 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2022, 12:46:51 PM »
The article seemed to indicate that while no new cars would be sold in the state, people "can keep buying and driving them". So that might be a possibility unless they change the law again.

And they would neeeever change their mind and ban them after the fact *coughsks*