Author Topic: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035  (Read 4385 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2022, 01:44:58 PM »
I don't expect it will be too many years before gas vehicles are banned in the entire country.
I wonder if someone makes a replica Red Barchetta. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2022, 02:06:20 PM »
The trend towards farm consolidation will continue. The haves will afford new tractors. The have nots will move to town for factory work. So much out here in ag hinges on the 30 year old truck that gets used everyday just on the farm, or maybe sits all year until the one time it is needed. Batteries not so good at that. I guess being able to fix anything will be handy.

So, in that scenario, batteries on Electric Farm Truck are shot after 3 years, because they hardly ever get used.  Farmer Jim and his college kid son studying electrical engineering rig up a gas powered generator to juice it up enough to run.  Weld up a nice cabinet in the bed for it.  Write it up for Farm Journal..
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2022, 03:18:21 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2022, 03:19:17 PM »
Monkey see monkey do
It boggles my mind they would do this

"In 2021, Governor Northam and the far-left controlled General Assembly signed a law that binds Virginia to California's emission vehicle regulations, which, among other thingsboggles , bans the sale of gas-powered cars in Virginia by 2035," a spokesperson for Virginia Attorney General Jason Miyares' office said in a statement to Fox 5 DC.

California gas car ban will apply to Virginia, too, due to 2021 law
https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/california-gas-car-ban-will-apply-to-virginia-too-due-to-2021-law?intcmp=tw_fnc
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »
Whoops, sorry Ben
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2022, 03:28:28 PM »
If California doesn't figure out their water shortage issues it isn't going to matter much anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2022, 04:02:04 PM »
If California doesn't figure out their water shortage issues it isn't going to matter much anyway.

I think you mean if Cali doesn't get the rest of the country to pay to fix their water shortage issues
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2022, 04:07:14 PM »
I think you mean if Caili doesn't get the rest of the country to pay to fix their water shortage issues

More or less :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2022, 04:55:31 PM »
Hopefully Virginia will fix this. The sad part is that we have to elect worthless republicans to do it because they are slightly less worthless than the others. People always talk about states seceding. All backwards. States come together and show Cali the door. Western states need to build nuke plants and sell the energy to California at extortionate rates. Patrol the border and deport Cali residents found living in free states.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2022, 07:36:03 PM »

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2022/08/26/ho-lee-chit-electric-vehicles-that-supposedly-save-americans-lots-of-money-have-one-very-very-very-expensive-problem-screenshot/

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/10/chevy-volt-battery-replacement-cost-34000/

Whomever posted that is either lying, or being raped by a dealer.

1st: That VIN comes back to a 2012 Volt, and that battery Part number has been discontinued and replaced for some time.  A dealer would know that when ginning up a quote. 
2nd: The OEM drive battery for a 2012 Volt is $6879.60.  Aftermarket options are available for less than $5500

It looks like they are hitting them up for about 10 hrs labor, which seems about right to R+R the drive battery.

ETA: The other obvious option is the dealer doesn't want to work on this 10 year old car and they found some place to sell them a New Old Stock version of the discontinued battery at an inflated price rather than the current part number so as to convince the owner to *expletive deleted*ck off.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2022, 08:03:12 PM »
From the autoblog article:

We called up Keyes Chevrolet in Los Angeles and were quoted a broad price range of between $3,400 and $34,000 to replace a "drive motor replacement battery" in a 2012 Volt. Tellingly, perhaps, the dealer we spoke with was not sure what replacing a 'drive motor replacement battery' (and the 'Grade B' version, at that) entails, and told us we'd have to bring a Volt in to see what's wrong with the pack to get a real estimate. We got the same confusion and numbers to replace the battery from Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We asked GM to clarify what this $34,000 charge includes, but that information was not forthcoming.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »
No gasoline cars?

Big deal.

Get a diesel.
Blog under construction

JN01

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2022, 09:38:18 PM »
The trend towards farm consolidation will continue.

By 2035, Bill Gates will own all the farms.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2022, 09:40:30 PM »
And they would neeeever change their mind and ban them after the fact *coughsks*

They will need to close the used car "loophole".

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2022, 12:35:49 AM »
They will need to close the used car "loophole".

Cash for clunkers went a long way to doing that (it added a zero to the cost of used cars.)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2022, 01:13:48 AM »
Cash for clunkers went a long way to doing that (it added a zero to the cost of used cars.)

That effect was worked out of the used car market after several years.  We waited until 2014 to buy our minivan (2008 Sienna) specifically because we were waiting for prices to return to sanity after Cash for Clunkers.  Used car prices were mostly reasonable until the supply chain disruption from the Covid shutdowns.
Formerly sumpnz

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2022, 08:03:27 AM »

It also had people trading in for F150s instead of the priuseses.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2022, 08:38:03 AM »
That effect was worked out of the used car market after several years.  We waited until 2014 to buy our minivan (2008 Sienna) specifically because we were waiting for prices to return to sanity after Cash for Clunkers.  Used car prices were mostly reasonable until the supply chain disruption from the Covid shutdowns.

I don't see how that can be claimed; used car prices never came back down, then the covid nonsense added a second zero to their price.  I sold a 2019 Honda CRV for more than the note was worth.  Bought in 2019 new, had to part with it a year later for reasons and it had appreciated in value.  Bonkers.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2022, 10:31:11 AM »
I don't see how that can be claimed; used car prices never came back down, then the covid nonsense added a second zero to their price.  I sold a 2019 Honda CRV for more than the note was worth.  Bought in 2019 new, had to part with it a year later for reasons and it had appreciated in value.  Bonkers.

The program lasted for less than 2 months in 2009.  You can’t seriously be telling me that 11 years later it was still significantly influencing used car pricing which then compounded the supply chain disruptions.  The vast majority of the cars taken off the market would have been scrapped by then anyway and within 5 years the new cars sold in the interim mostly refilled the used car market.  Hence why we bought that van in 2014 and not 2013 when my 4th was born and we really needed it.
Formerly sumpnz

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2022, 12:29:06 PM »
By 2035, Bill Gates will own all the farms.

I didn't say that at all or ever. His companies own farms as investments, not some vast conspiracy. It is reported that he owns about 260,000 acres or a little over 400 sections. A decent sized county. ZOMG Bill Gates is going to starve us all go the non stop conspiracy posts.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2022, 09:58:09 AM »
Washington and Mass looking to follow
Monkey see monkey do

Two More States Follow California's Lead in Banning Sales of New Gas-Powered Cars by 2035
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/08/29/gas-powered-car-ban-n2612354

- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2022, 10:34:02 AM »
Gee, that worked out real well
Scottish police switch over to electric cars. Great, except someone forgot something, like how to charge them  :facepalm: :rofl:
They're resorting to things like running cords out of office windows charging one car at a time.  :facepalm: :rofl:

Scottish Police Electric Cars STOP Working… Guess Why! 😂 😂 😂
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKhbQJ-oL0U
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 10:47:22 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2022, 11:36:42 AM »
Oregon just announced today.  So as of 2035, no new ICE cars can be sold on the West Coast: California, Oregon, and Washington.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2022, 12:40:42 PM »
Oregon just announced today.  So as of 2035, no new ICE cars can be sold on the West Coast: California, Oregon, and Washington.

Well, at least this is unlikely to force me into a BEV until at least 2045.  I don’t expect to buy a car less than 10 years old for most of my life.  Hopefully by then heads can be extracted from asses and prevent these regulations from going into effect.
Formerly sumpnz