Author Topic: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035  (Read 4389 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: No New Non-Electric Vehicles in CA After 2035
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2022, 12:42:53 PM »
Are hybrids okay, or they have to be all-electric?
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »
If California doesn't figure out their water shortage issues it isn't going to matter much anyway.

The Colorado and San Juan and Salt Rivers were all raging over the week I spent in the assorted mountain ranges and drainages that fed these systems.  All the tributary streams were running, and the rivers were all chocolate with sediment from the high flow.  Downtown Moab was flooded and under water just a week ago.  Many businesses were closed due to water damage.  Some say the Colorado is always chocolate silted... but add in the same condition to the San Juan (which is often dry) and the Salt (which is usually clear) and it indicates considerable increased water flow, due to a successful southwest summer monsoon weather season.

Droughts don't last forever, and the Southwest has been in the grips of a good decade-long drought.  Policymakers are driving Lake Mead to the point of failure in order to use it as a mechanism to reshape southwest (and possibly national?) water policy, while the upstream reservoirs are at average or above average capacity for this time of year.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2022, 05:08:43 PM »
My wife and I are in our mid-60's, and she thinks we will have at least one electric vehicle before we are too old to keep driving.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2022, 08:52:23 PM »
The Colorado and San Juan and Salt Rivers were all raging over the week I spent in the assorted mountain ranges and drainages that fed these systems.  All the tributary streams were running, and the rivers were all chocolate with sediment from the high flow.  Downtown Moab was flooded and under water just a week ago.  Many businesses were closed due to water damage.  Some say the Colorado is always chocolate silted... but add in the same condition to the San Juan (which is often dry) and the Salt (which is usually clear) and it indicates considerable increased water flow, due to a successful southwest summer monsoon weather season.

Droughts don't last forever, and the Southwest has been in the grips of a good decade-long drought.  Policymakers are driving Lake Mead to the point of failure in order to use it as a mechanism to reshape southwest (and possibly national?) water policy, while the upstream reservoirs are at average or above average capacity for this time of year.

Even without the drought California will continue to have issues with not enough water. They have for decades refused to increase storage capacity and have even undamed some reservoirs.  All the while the population has steadily increased. Without major changes in state policy California will either eventually become unlivable for it's current population or will rely on federal action that will cost us taxpayers billions.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2022, 04:05:47 PM »
Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban
https://www.newsweek.com/californians-told-not-charge-electric-cars-gas-car-sales-ban-1738398

"During a Flex Alert, consumers are urged to reduce energy use from 4-9 p.m. when the system is most stressed because demand for electricity remains high and there is less solar energy available," the release said.

The top conservation actions are to set thermostats to 78 degrees or higher to reduce air conditioner use, avoid using large appliances and charging electric vehicles, and turn off unnecessary lights, it said.

:facepalm:     :rofl:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2022, 04:08:45 PM »
Californians Told Not to Charge Electric Cars Days After Gas Car Sales Ban
https://www.newsweek.com/californians-told-not-charge-electric-cars-gas-car-sales-ban-1738398

:facepalm:     :rofl:

That state is so *expletive deleted*ing stupid...
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2022, 05:49:05 PM »
That state is so *expletive deleted*ing stupid...
You don't know the half of it.

They're going to demolish hydropower dams, too - claiming they produce "insignificant" power, hurt fish, and would have huge costs to bring up to "environmental" standards.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/major-hurdle-cleared-plan-demolish-california-dams-83119729
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2022, 06:00:17 PM »
You don't know the half of it.

They're going to demolish hydropower dams, too - claiming they produce "insignificant" power, hurt fish, and would have huge costs to bring up to "environmental" standards.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/major-hurdle-cleared-plan-demolish-california-dams-83119729

They're also going to kill the Central Valley farming (where a significant portion of US food comes from) by shutting down wells and restricting surface water. I was talking to my aunt a couple of weeks ago, and she said they may lose their water next year, which means all 300+ acres of their oranges die.

Apparently within the governor's office and the legislature, there is a powerful environmental contingent that is talking about reverting nearly half the valley back to "a natural environment". If they do that, the food riots will be fun.

https://youtu.be/P8DQlqemkcQ

zahc

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2022, 06:07:25 PM »
Going after agriculture is the correct thing to do though. 90% of California's water use is for agriculture, and the reason is completely unrealistic water contracts for agriculture. Almonds alone use more water than the whole city of LA. There's no way to solve the water problem without addressing the agricultural waste (sorry, that's what it is), because it's a problem created by agricultural waste. One would hope they would approach it in a reasoned and intelligent way, without corruption or favoritism, but you can guess how it will really go down.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2022, 06:17:17 PM »
There's no doubt that big agri-business is a problem. Some of these corporations chase popular crops in insane ways. For a while walnuts were the big thing, and the big corps planted tens of thousands of acres of them. Then when the prices dropped from over production, they went to almonds, ripping out perfectly good walnut trees to plant the new crop, and yeah, almonds take a lot of water.

Some of the wells in the West valley were being drilled to 2000 feet to get enough water. That's like a $1million well. Those wells draw down shallower groundwater, and then individual family farms go dry and they can't afford the deeper wells.

However the state response isn't a graduated one, it's using a catapult to swing the pendulum the other way and destroy more than "cash crops" like almonds. And lets not forget that CA lets billions and billions of gallons of fresh water bypass farms and dump into the ocean to "save" the Delta Smelt, which state biologists can't even find anymore.

Plus we can go back to the environmentalists kiboshing the one dam (I forget the name now) that the state tried to build in the 70s, which would have nearly eliminated the present water shortages. In many ways the water situation in CA is the same as the nuclear energy situation.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2022, 08:51:21 PM »
France isn't going to have electricity shortages:

https://www.france24.com/en/france/20220902-france-to-restart-all-nuclear-reactors-by-winter-amid-energy-crunch

Soon, to keep the EV thing going, our democrats and environmentalists will insist we follow suit, stating that they have been pushing for nuclear all along and that it's the maga semi-fascist extremists that have been holding it up.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2022, 11:42:28 PM »
Meanwhile, to deal with an expected spell of hot weather, California is telling owners of electric vehicles NOT to recharge them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2022, 08:43:18 AM »
Does the ICE prohibition after 2035 also include hybrid cars with ICE/battery?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »
How long until California bans electric car batteries because of the environmental damage that cobalt and lithium mining causes?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2022, 09:02:47 AM »
How long until California bans electric car batteries because of the environmental damage that cobalt and lithium mining causes?

NIMBY. They'll care when most of it is not mined halfway around the world by African child workers owned by Chinese corporations.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2022, 09:21:00 AM »
^ Agreed. 
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2022, 09:32:54 AM »
Does the ICE prohibition after 2035 also include hybrid cars with ICE/battery?

From what I understand, hybrids are banned as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2022, 09:42:27 AM »
NIMBY. They'll care when most of it is not mined halfway around the world by African child workers owned by Chinese corporations that funnel money into politicians' pockets (or the pockets of family members and donors.)
Added what you forgot at the end.

I remember during the blackout days under Gov. "Gray" Davis, California tried to get more energy by demanding Nevada send them all they needed . . . and if Nevada then ran short, they could get power from Utah. If Utah in turn needed more, they could draw on Colorado's grid. And so on and so on, with California proposing they get control of power distribution all the way back to Indiana.

This cockamamie plan didn't work . . . and California didn't built the plants they needed . . . if they HAD started back then, they'd be in good shape today. But they didn't.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2022, 09:43:51 AM »
Cali: You need to buy a $60,000 + car because we're banning gas powered cars
Also Cali: Don't plug it in.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2022, 07:11:54 PM »
Banning gasoline cars - it just won't work. It is a law that will run headlong into the facts of life. Perhaps in some form it will survive, but greatly weakened.

Has California eliminated all T12 fluorescent tubes? Where I work, we still receive regular shipments of them, and people still buy them. We still sell 75-watt A19s, though they're coated, or rough-service.

If the fed.gov can't manage to eliminate ancient, T12 bulbs and ballasts, I don't see states really getting rid of all gas-engine vehicles.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2022, 08:08:49 PM »
While California pushes forward, China and India do absolutely nothing.

California's response?

WE GOTTA DO MORE! MORE!!! BAN COOKING! IT CAUSES FUMES THAT DO SOMETHING!

2088 NBC Nightly News

Today it was announced that California's population has dropped below 1 million people. Since super secret hyper environmental controls were instituted in 2050 California's population has declined steadily.

California's Secretary of Holodomor said in news conference that still more needs to be done to ensure that all Californians are ensured a satisfactory life.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2022, 08:10:48 PM »
Note to self: Invest heavily in walking shoe companies
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2022, 08:46:02 PM »
Added what you forgot at the end.

I remember during the blackout days under Gov. "Gray" Davis, California tried to get more energy by demanding Nevada send them all they needed . . . and if Nevada then ran short, they could get power from Utah. If Utah in turn needed more, they could draw on Colorado's grid. And so on and so on, with California proposing they get control of power distribution all the way back to Indiana.

This cockamamie plan didn't work . . . and California didn't built the plants they needed . . . if they HAD started back then, they'd be in good shape today. But they didn't.

That's pretty much what they're doing with water. Lake Mead is drying up, states like Nevada, Utah, and Arizona are facing rationing -- but California isn't. Yet California isn't pushing to demolish dams in the other states, from which they get their water. Only in their own state.

"Charity begins at home." California should be building dams and reservoirs, not demolishing them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design